Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,430 times

Advertisements

My 12yo son is really good with kids. I suggested to him that he look for a part time babysitting job. However, I work in childcare and used to work with a male preschool teacher. I was suprised how many parents were uneasy having their child go into his class just because he was male.

So I am wondering how difficult it might be for a boy to get a babysitting job. What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 01:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
Personally, I think 12 is too young to babysit, male or female (other than a sibling while mom goes to the store sort of thing).

That being said, I would have no problem with a male babysitter for my kids. I have a boy and two girls, so it might be nice for the boy to have another boy around sometimes!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
I don't see a problem with a boy babysitter.

It's sort of distressing that after all the stories that have come out about women sexually abusing children, it's still considered a male-only issue by so many people.

It's this sort of attitude that drives men out of teaching lower grades in school or otherwise working with children, when so many kids could greatly benefit from greater male involvement at a younger age, especially if they don't have a father in the home.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:47 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
On the teaching note - some of the BEST teachers my son has had through the years were males. They bring something completely different.

On the babysitting note - when my son was little my friend's older son babysat. I suppose it depends on the kid, but I thought he was a great babysitter - he actually did stuff with him rather than watch t.v. and mess around on the phone.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
When my kids were little, their favorite babysitter was the 16 year old guy from down the street. He played witht he kids, laughed, told jokes, etc. Granted, not all boys will be like this but we've had experience with many (not just that one) boy babysitter and my kids all said they liked having a male baby sit them.

So yes, I would gladly have a male babysitter.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:49 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
When my kids were little, their favorite babysitter was the 16 year old guy from down the street. He played witht he kids, laughed, told jokes, etc. Granted, not all boys will be like this but we've had experience with many (not just that one) boy babysitter and my kids all said they liked having a male baby sit them.

So yes, I would gladly have a male babysitter.
This is exactly my experience. I wonder if you lived on our street and had the same babysitter?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,516 times
Well, I'm a guy....and I was babysitting neighbor kids when I was 12. Of course, I'm not so sure I would have such a young babysitter for my own kids. (I don't actually have kids....I'm just sayin'.) I just think that's too young to be taking on such a responsibility, particularly when I'm not even sure a 12-year old is allowed to be staying at home by his/her self. Nevertheless, I don't see anything wrong with a boy babysitter. I WOULD caution you, however, to make sure the kid is mature enough emotionally and psychologically to handle the responsibility. Some kids at that age still need to learn about things such as morally correct behavior, such as not inappropriately touching another child in the wrong way, etc. Will he or she be changing diapers? Do they know how to clean that area appropriately? Is the babysitter able to act kindly, and not like a bully simply because he or she is older than the other child they are watching? Stuff like that.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
yep

especially for my boys. But as with any other situation, I would have to know the child, trust the child. I've known german shepherds who are more responsible than some adults, male or female.

Last edited by rockinmomma; 08-21-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
The best teacher my daughter had in her 4 years she spent in public school was a man.

Boy babysitters aren't any less desirable than girls.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:15 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
It depends on the kid and his personality and temperament (male or female). The age would be more of a factor than that fact that he's a male. In general, I prefer sitters who are a little bit older unless it is as a "mother's helper" when I'm home.
One of my favorite daycare teacher was a male. This was the 3 year old room, and he was GREAT with them. Unfortunately he was "laid off" because too many parents weren't comfortable with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting