Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,095,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So I got to thinking about that nanny thread and everyone's response tohow they thought the girl was more worried about her personal time etc.
So I thought up some questions.

What would your rules for your nanny be? (Considering she had her own car etc and a way in and out of the house that didn't disturb the family.)

Would there be a curfew? On nights off or on weekends?
Guest rules?

Basically anything you can think of when it comes to being a nanny etc what would you do and what rules would you have?

As you all may or may not know I took a nanny job back in September.
I have the basement mostly to myself. Separate room w/ closet and my own bathroom.
I have a car now, a 2010 Kia Forte EX.
There is no curfew, I can come in and out of the garage and they can't hear it.
No car curfew on their car when I was driving it.
No guest rules, I can have friends over when I watch the kids. My male friends are allowed to spend the night.

I work 59 hours a month to cover my rent/utilities/cable/internet/cell phone(Blackberry w/unlimited text and 200MB of data.)

I have a bunch of CPR/AED/etc certifications. I can do underwater rescue with neck trauma. I am great with the kids. I teach them stuff. I take them places like the museum.

I would have to say I wouldn't have taken the job if any ounce of my freedom would be compromised.

But if you had a nanny what would it be like for her at your house?

And that kids putting the kids at risk too...Wow your not very mature are you..You fall asleep one of your guest harms the kids????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Txtqueen the law there states all you have to do is perceive the intruder might use force *force not being defined* and you can use deadly force. That is not the most liberal version of a make my day law but it's darn close. So the chances of someone being indicted over it are slim, and the chances for a conviction even if they were is even slimmer then that.

Legal discussions on Citydata always amuse me. They are almost never correct.

You cannot state the laws governing self defense in a sentence or even a paragraph. Some write entire books about it and still fail to discuss it throughly and/or correctly.

The laws governing self defense vary from State to State. In some states, you can defend yourself if somone breaks into your house (but sometimes not if you are in somone else's house - yes it makes no sense, sometimes laws make no sense). Some states allow this only if you have other family members at home. Some states you must try to escape if you can (i.e. crawl out a window to get away), but that sometimes varies with whether there are other people in the house. This is a complex area of law, and virtually no one knows and understands it all fully. Plus the law is constantly changing in the vaiorus jurisdictions and it is often ill defined so it may change with any given case, depending on how the law is interpreted by a given judge.

A criminal law professor might have this knowlege, but even a DA or a policeman is only likely to know the law of their own state. However with policemen, I often see a load of misperceptions due to misinformation being passed around the locker room. Sometimes an officer learns about a law from the past or from another state and tells a friend. After a while, there are hundreds of cops out there believing something to be true that is not true. Often I am amazed at how little accurate law many police officers know and how much inaccurate "truths" are being passed around. However it is not too surprising. Police officers are asked to be security, quasi military, detectives/investigators, family counselors, social workers, psychologists, garbage men, traffic engineers, medics, life guards, nascar drivers, targets, chemists, and probably a dozen other roles. No wonder they cannot get it all correct. It is too much for any one person.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 AM

13,471 posts, read 9,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

You cannot state the laws governing self defense in a sentence or even a paragraph. Some write entire books about it and still fail to discuss it throughly and/or correctly.

The laws governing self defense vary from State to State. In some states, you can defend yourself if somone breaks into your house (but sometimes not if you are in somone else's house - yes it makes no sense, sometimes laws make no sense). Some states allow this only if you have other family members at home. Some states you must try to escape if you can (i.e. crawl out a window to get away), but that sometimes varies with whether there are other people in the house. This is a complex area of law, and virtually no one knows and understands it all fully. Plus the law is constantly changing in the vaiorus jurisdictions and it is often ill defined so it may change with any given case, depending on how the law is interpreted by a given judge.

A criminal law professor might have this knowlege, but even a DA or a policeman is only likely to know the law of their own state. However with policemen, I often see a load of misperceptions due to misinformation being passed around the locker room. Sometimes an officer learns about a law from the past or from another state and tells a friend. After a while, there are hundreds of cops out there believing something to be true that is not true. Often I am amazed at how little accurate law many police officers know and how much inaccurate "truths" are being passed around. However it is not too surprising. Police officers are asked to be security, quasi military, detectives/investigators, family counselors, social workers, psychologists, garbage men, traffic engineers, medics, life guards, nascar drivers, targets, chemists, and probably a dozen other roles. No wonder they cannot get it all correct. It is too much for any one person.
Wow, that's a very interesting perspective. I never would have thought to look at it like that. Makes total sense, though.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,867,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

We aren't talking about all the laws governing self defense but rather one aspect of it in one state. It's obvious that is different from state to state, that goes without saying. You are correct in that the situation will determine certain things such as you shooting someone who broke into your house might be illegal if they are outside your house being different then you doing in in the premise. I was just giving the standard explanation for Colorado law based on someone breaking into your house and you using force at that moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting