Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 5,509,649 times

Advertisements

Happy Tuesday all!

Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? I look for good gas mileage.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? no

Bonus Question:

Yes or no (or more, if you wish!)…

Do you like avocados? yes

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? no

Are you a good whistler? no

Will you be paying a bill today? no

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? yes

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? younger

Today in History:

1804 Territory of Orleans organizes Louisiana Purchase
1845 Patent awarded for adhesive medicated plaster, precursor of bandaid
1872 Thomas J. Martin patents fire extinguisher
1885 Eastman Film Co. manufactures first commercial motion picture film
1916 Birdman of Alcatraz receives solitary
1930 Congress appropriates $50,000 for Inter-American highway
1953 Dr. Jonas Salk announces vaccine to prevent polio
1955 "Ballad of Davy Crockett," becomes the #1 record in US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,381,616 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? Buy the car that says to you "You're home."

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? No

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? YES!!!!!!

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Yes

Are you a good whistler? No

Will you be paying a bill today? Nope

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Yes

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”?
Older. "Born on a mountain top in Tennessee......"

Today in History:

1804 Territory of Orleans organizes Louisiana Purchase We got a good deal!
1916 Birdman of Alcatraz receives solitary but he had his Tweetie Pies with him.
1955 "Ballad of Davy Crockett," becomes the #1 record in US I remember that Ike had a Davy Crockett tie.

Today’s Word:

Wrest \ rest \ , verb;
1. to take away by force
2. to twist or turn; pull, jerk, or force by a violent twist.
3. to get by effort
4. to twist or turn from the proper course, application, use, meaning, or the like; wrench.
noun:
1. a wresting; twist or wrench.
2. a key or small wrench for tuning stringed musical instruments, as the harp or piano, by turning the pins to which the strings are fastened.

Today Is:

Legal Assistants Day
Make Up Your Own Holiday Day Every day is a holiday when you are retired. Yippee!!!
American Diabetes Association Alert Day

Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM

39,024 posts, read 23,022,444 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? Research the particular make and model online to find out the reliability and read any reviews by people who already who it. If you can afford it, pay cash if you can (the best car payment is NONE). Try to buy from a private party. If you purchase from a dealer, be sure to get your financing approved in advance from a credit union, as they have better rates. If the dealer tries to play "mental" games with you, be prepared to walk away!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? No.

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? No (and I'm from California).

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? No.

Are you a good whistler? Yes.

Will you be paying a bill today? No (they're already paid).

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Yes.

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? For once I'm younger. Yay!

Enjoy your Tuesday!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,917,201 times
Sunny and mid-70s in the NV desert today.

Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? Not really. I always feel that I'm getting ripped off when I buy a car.

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? No.

Do you like avocados? Yes.

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Probably, if I do it slowly.

Are you a good whistler? Not bad, but not performance-ready!

Will you be paying a bill today? No.

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Yes.

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? Older. My brother used to call me Crockett .

I have a friend coming to stay for a few days -- yeah! Happy Tuesday everyone.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM

72,465 posts, read 18,225,061 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car?

Don't get a lemon!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)?

Saw the Alcatraz from the bridge

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? Love it! Love making guacamoles

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping?

Maybe I will sink in 1 min

Are you a good whistler?

Will you be paying a bill today?

Not today

Do you recycle trash whenever possible?

Yes. I go green

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”?

Older

Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 AM

44,404 posts, read 20,138,945 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? I'm sorry to hear your car is headed for the scrap heap, Kobber. I haven't purchased a used vehicle for decades, but when I purchased my last new car I got a discount as a result of shopping online first. At the dealer's website, I did all the research and had already decided what I wanted before going to the dealership. I was given an extra discount for contacting them via the website first. Every little bit helps!

Extra Credit Question:
Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? Yes; many times. It's not fun.

Bonus Question:
Do you like avocados? Bleccccccch! Caca! Yuck! Ptooey! Yecch! Eeeeew!
Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Yes. I'm a good swimmer!
Are you a good whistler? Yes; very good.
Will you be paying a bill today? No. I paid one yesterday and won't have any more for a couple of weeks.
Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Yes. That's very important to me. The vast majority of my trash is recyclable stuff and my city has a good recycling program. They even sort the stuff for us, so it all the recyclables go in the same bin.

Just for fun:
Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? One year older.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
Wrest \ rest \ , verb;
1. to take away by force
3. to get by effort
4. to twist or turn from the proper course, application, use, meaning, or the like; wrench.
noun:
2. a key or small wrench for tuning stringed musical instruments, as the harp or piano, by turning the pins to which the strings are fastened.
Interesting word. I've seen it before but don't think I've ever used it in my writing or conversation.

Today Is:
Legal Assistants Day I'm a paralegal!
Make Up Your Own Holiday Day Okay - How about Curly-haired Blondes Day?
American Diabetes Association Alert Day Important stuff. Everyone should be aware of this awful disease and how vulnerable many people are to it. Support those who have diabetes and support research for better treatments and a cure.

Happy Tuesday, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,063,546 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car?
Like others have said, do your homework first. Never pay the MSRP, explore financing options before you contact a dealership and then contact several via the internet to see who has the best deal. It's a very competitive market, so negotiate.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? Yes. Many years ago I applied for a position with a federal correctional institution in Colorado - they did hire me, but they put me at the wrong GS so they had to sort it out. In the interim I was offered a job with the DA's office and since it was much closer to where I lived, took that job.

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? I love, love, love avocados. They're great on & in almost everything

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Oh hell no LOL maybe dog paddle just to keep from drowning but . . .

Are you a good whistler?

Will you be paying a bill today? Just did - big religious holiday coming up and with so many people coming to the interior wanted to hit the ATM while it still had $$$ so I could pay rent

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Wish we had recycling but seems like it'll get started and then . . .

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? Well this is a nice change - I'm actually younger

Thanks, Kobber, and hope everyone has a good day.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,675,873 times
[quote=Kobber;28838134]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, March 26th, 2013. My lovely 20-year old car has been pronounced terminally ill, and is at the mechanics awaiting tow-away by the wreckers. So this week I have to find a replacement – planning on a late model (but not new) runabout type hatchback – perhaps a Hyundai. It’s strange checking out car yards after a hiatus of 20 years!

Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? Lighter colored cars are less likely to show dirt.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? Just the sinking jail house in Jerome AZ.

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados?

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping?

Are you a good whistler? No.

Will you be paying a bill today? No.

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? No, I pay a garbage company to do that for me.

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”?Younger.

Have a wonderful day.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,834,632 times
[quote=Kobber;28838134]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, March 26th, 2013. My lovely 20-year old car has been pronounced terminally ill, and is at the mechanics awaiting tow-away by the wreckers. So this week I have to find a replacement – planning on a late model (but not new) runabout type hatchback – perhaps a Hyundai. It’s strange checking out car yards after a hiatus of 20 years!

Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car?.........Shop shop shop. Kick the tires. Well maybe let the mechanic you have check it out before you buy it kick the tires instead. When I was younger I saw an ad for a Datsun 240 with a manual trans. Before I went to look at it I had a couple of friends call on the car and ask a few questions. Then I had them say that they were asking too much for the car and hang up. I called a day or two later and went to see the car and pointed out some flaws and said that they were asking too much. They said that they were aware of that. I low balled them and bought the car. I drove it for a couple of years and sold it for pretty close to the amount I bought it for.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)?....No

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados?...Yes

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping?....Yes

Are you a good whistler?...No

Will you be paying a bill today?...Yes

Do you recycle trash whenever possible?....Yes

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? Younger but not by much.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Wrest \ rest \ , verb;
1. to take away by force
3. to get by effort
noun:

Today Is:

Legal Assistants Day
Make Up Your Own Holiday Day............OK it's corn plant day. I've had mine for 35 years and it bloomed for the first time ever. It's a strange looking flower.
American Diabetes Association Alert Day Thanks Kobber. Good luck with that car.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM

27,399 posts, read 27,447,736 times
Yes Ive visited someone in prison a couple of times but its been about 15 years since.
Yes I love avocados.
Have a good day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics