Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:42 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,509,617 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, March 12th, 2013. Apologies to our early bird QOTD people if these questions are posted a little later than usual for Tuesday… I completely forgot that you guys have (mostly) moved your clocks an hour ahead. We’ll be putting our clocks back, but not until April 7th – I’m pleased we hang on to our summer hours as long as possible!

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you visited a US Post Office, and what did you do there?

Extra Credit Question:

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’ve ever done – such as jumping out of a plane, white water rafting, bungee jumping, abseiling, mountain-climbing, etc.?

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’d like to do in the future?

Bonus Question:

I know three people who have a birthday today. Do you know anyone with a birthday today?

Just for fun:

Today is Organize Your Home Office Day. Do you have a home office? If so, does it need organizing?

Today in History:

1755 First steam engine in America installed, to pump water from a mine
1789 U.S. Post Office established
1884 Mississippi establishes first U.S. state college for women
1912 Captain Albert Berry performs first parachute jump from an airplane
1933 Franklin D. Roosevelt conducts his first fireside chat
1945 New York is first to prohibit discrimination by race and creed in employment
1956 Dow Jones closes above 500 for first time
1970 U.S. lowers voting age from 21 to 18
1984 British ice dancing team, Torvill and Dean, become first skaters to receive 9 perfect 6.0s in world championships
2011 Analysts report a nuclear meltdown may be occurring at the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant; a state of emergency is declared at five plants

Today’s Word:

Bevel \ BEV-uhl \ , noun;
1. irresolutely.
noun:
1. the inclination that one line or surface makes with another when not at right angles.
2. a surface that does not form a right angle with adjacent surfaces.
(There were several other definitions, but they went on too long, so I cut ‘em off!)

Today Is:

Organize Your Home Office Day
Girl Scout Birthday Day
Plant a Flower Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,239,423 times
Today’s Question: Yipeee! It's time for Kobber Tuesday fun! Hello Kobber and friends!

~ We go to the post office often, to buy stamps and send our mail...I really need to get to the post office that sells all the packing boxes and envelopes and labels and all that because I am starting up a little business on Ebay. We have a little, old postoffice here in our village. The big postoffice with all the stuff I need to buy is about 6 miles from here.........wow....if I went there today I pass by Taco Bell......... I could get me a 12 pack of crunchy beef tacos! Extra cheese and 2 packets of the mild taco sauce for each taco....no soda pop!

Extra Credit Question:

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’ve ever done – such as jumping out of a plane, white water rafting, bungee jumping, abseiling, mountain-climbing, etc.?
~ Many things all in all...but when I look back on it I think the stupidest was when I used to fish in the surf, literally shoulder deep - up to my neck - and using large live shiny fish for bait. There's plenty of sharks here.
Doing 110 mph on my motorcycle wasn't very smart, either. Nor was messing with rattlesnakes.
Or kayaking with the alligators in the remote everglades. I've been an idiot.

~ Break my record of eating 15 tacos in one sitting.

Bonus Question:

I know three people who have a birthday today. Do you know anyone with a birthday today?
~ James Taylor and Liza Minnelli.

Just for fun:

Today is Organize Your Home Office Day. Do you have a home office? If so, does it need organizing?
~ An astounding, resounding, emphatic yes!

Today’s Word:

1. irresolutely.
noun:
1. the inclination that one line or surface makes with another when not at right angles.
(There were several other definitions, but they went on too long, so I cut ‘em off!)
~ the Bevely Hillbillies. I like Ellie Mae! wow! ...don't approve of 'possum stew, though.

Today Is:

Organize Your Home Office Day ....
Girl Scout Birthday Day ~ Happy birthday to you!...now give me some free cookies, ya little brat!
Plant a Flower Day ~ Can't do that. You gotta plant a plant and then wait to get a flower.

*** Excellence, dear Kobber...excellence! Hoorayyy! To you and all my friends...I wish you happiness and miracles...remember to practice good karma! It really works! ***

Last edited by rainroosty; 03-12-2013 at 04:26 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 9,396,728 times
Hello all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, March 12th, 2013. Apologies to our early bird QOTD people if these questions are posted a little later than usual for Tuesday… I completely forgot that you guys have (mostly) moved your clocks an hour ahead. We’ll be putting our clocks back, but not until April 7th – I’m pleased we hang on to our summer hours as long as possible!

Today’s Question:

Two Saturday's ago. I mailed letters and bought breast cancer stamps.

Quote:
Quote:

Nothing at all in the future

When I was 17-18 I took my 1965 Dodge Coronet to 120 MPH 3 times. It was a straight road that I was familiar with at night with no traffic. I was also alone every time. It was fun and a dare to myself.

Quote:

Yes, someone I went out on a date with once. I stiill know her from another message board I post on.

FWIW my birthday is tomorrow. That's the "13" in my user name.

Quote:

No room in my studio apartment for that. That's okay, I like it here just fine. I do not need a lot of room.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,878,062 times
Today’s Question:

A couple weeks ago to buy stamps.
Extra Credit Question:

I can't remember anything someone might consider "dare devil." I drive fast, but not over 100 mph... No... I have nothing.
Thinking...... No, can't think of a thing. Not much of a dare devil apparently.

Bonus Question:

I know three people who have a birthday today. Do you know anyone with a birthday today? No, but I know two people whose birthday was last Friday and one on Saturday.

Just for fun:

Today is Organize Your Home Office Day. Do you have a home office? If so, does it need organizing? No home office, teensy house. My desk at school could use some organizing, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Happy day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 03-12-2013 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 AM

34,383 posts, read 20,656,721 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you visited a US Post Office, and what did you do there? I entered by the front door and took in that amazing post office smell. Reminds me of my youth when I was a carrier.

Extra Credit Question:

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’ve ever done – such as jumping out of a plane, white water rafting, bungee jumping, abseiling, mountain-climbing, etc.? I jumped off a two-story rock at the Colorado River once.

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’d like to do in the future?Defy death! Or a woman.

Bonus Question:

I know three people who have a birthday today. Do you know anyone with a birthday today? One yesterday, one day before, but none today. Happy birthday to those three.

Just for fun:

Today is Organize Your Home Office Day. Do you have a home office? If so, does it need organizing? I have a home and a computer. I don't do "organizing" other than be a part of the mess or part of the trash.

Today in History:

1984 British ice dancing team, Torvill and Dean, become first skaters to receive 9 perfect 6.0s in world championships AND english Dave cheered raucously, yet with dignity, at the pub~!~ Just kidding, Dave. Amazing talent and amazing performance. Well Done! WELL DONE!

Last edited by _redbird_; 03-12-2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 AM

27,497 posts, read 27,526,788 times
Last time I went to the post office was about a week ago for stamps.
My dad would have turned 82 this week, but....
Have a great day everyone~~~

Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 AM

48,474 posts, read 22,136,072 times
Today’s Question:

About 2 weeks ago I went to a post office to purchase stamps and to mail a present to my grand daughter. I like to go to this post office because it is inside an great little store that sells the best oranges and juices and vegetables you have ever tasted. They also have great bakery goods and a unique Florida themed gift store. I think the Post Office branch is an offshoot of their huge mail order catalogue business..

Extra Credit Question:

I am not a dare devil sort of guy. Riding on a slightly elevated tram over the vineyards on the way to the tasting room at the Sterling Winery ..... and a similar ride over the San Diego zoo....are about it!

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’d like to do in the future? Something very safe but fun.

Bonus Question:

I don't think that I do....but happy birthday to any who are celebrating.

Just for fun:

Yes it does. Will I do it today.....not likely.

Today’s Word:

1. irresolutely.
noun:

Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 AM

50,649 posts, read 64,748,588 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you visited a US Post Office, and what did you do there? I mailed some teen magazines and a card to my granddaughter who had knee surgery. Over $6.00!! Outrageous.
Extra Credit Question:

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’ve ever done – such as jumping out of a plane, white water rafting, bungee jumping, abseiling, mountain-climbing, etc.? I've been white water rafting and para sailing.

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’d like to do in the future? I really want to go zip lining.

Bonus Question:

I know three people who have a birthday today. Do you know anyone with a birthday today? Not today, but we have 4 birthdays in March.

Just for fun:

Today is Organize Your Home Office Day. Do you have a home office? If so, does it need organizing? Yes, and it always needs papers put away or disposed of. Otherwise it's pretty organized.

Today in History:

1945 New York is first to prohibit discrimination by race and creed in employment
1984 British ice dancing team, Torvill and Dean, become first skaters to receive 9 perfect 6.0s in world championships
2011 Analysts report a nuclear meltdown may be occurring at the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant; a state of emergency is declared at five plants

Today’s Word:

1. irresolutely.
noun:

Today Is:

Girl Scout Birthday Day We have the founder's home here in Savannah
Plant a Flower Day I intend to do that today

Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,607,190 times
Good Morning cyber peeps!!! Caffiene has kicked in and I'm ready to go!

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you visited a US Post Office, and what did you do there? Yesterday and I mail a box to my grands....I cannot believe it cost me so much!!!

Extra Credit Question:

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’ve ever done – such as jumping out of a plane, white water rafting, bungee jumping, abseiling, mountain-climbing, etc.? I worked with the general public for 25 years....that was "dare devil" enough......now I just ride on motorcycles lol

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’d like to do in the future? I would like to paraglide.

Bonus Question:

I know three people who have a birthday today. Do you know anyone with a birthday today? My cousin Ivy!

Just for fun:

Today is Organize Your Home Office Day. Do you have a home office? If so, does it need organizing? Yes and oh my goodness yes!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 6 days ago)

4,733 posts, read 3,305,140 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you visited a US Post Office, and what did you do there? A couple of months ago to purchase a roll of stamps.

Extra Credit Question:

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’ve ever done – such as jumping out of a plane, white water rafting, bungee jumping, abseiling, mountain-climbing, etc.? Once upon a time I was an avid water skier and took some pretty good spills........yes, it hurts even on water when you fall hard enough.

What’s the most ‘dare devil’ thing you’d like to do in the future? I want to try the zip line.

Bonus Question:

I know three people who have a birthday today. Do you know anyone with a birthday today? No

Just for fun:

Today is Organize Your Home Office Day. Do you have a home office? If so, does it need organizing? Each of us have our home office space and both could use some work.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

1. irresolutely.
noun:

Today Is:

Girl Scout Birthday Day
Plant a Flower Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics