Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,563,544 times

Advertisements

Check out a Toyota. Best cars we have ever had through the years. Seems I know lots of people that are driving them right now and a reasonably priced one is the Corolla. I have had 3 Camrys and just loved them. My daughter has a 2011 one right now.

I love avacados

I do recycle at the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,262,565 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? Not so much a good deal, but I would go to a dealer who is known for standing behind their cars and has a long term reputation.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? I've been to a restaurant that was a jail in the 1800s

Bonus Question:

Yes or no (or more, if you wish!)…

Do you like avocados? Love them.

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Probably not

Are you a good whistler? Only fair

Will you be paying a bill today? Probably paying my son's HOA bill today (I have his POA while he's deployed)
Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Always. Our recyclables are collected every other week

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? Older

Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,098,424 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car?

Get your own financing before you go shopping....banks/credit unions are more than willing to do this for people in the US.

If you aren't knowledgeable about the mechanics of a car, take someone with you.....we're lucky in that respect as my hubby rebuilds classic cars and always does his own repairs so he can recognize problems. Plus he buys cars and does repairs and then resells them to make money. Many times people trade in cars because they are having trouble with something. Plus some dealers in the US try to take advantage of women and/or unknowledgeable people.

In the USA we have what we call CARFAX which tells if the car has been wrecked or had service problems.....we ask
dealers for this CARFAX and if they don't have it, we pay to get a CARFAX as it many times saves headaches if the fax shows the car has been severely wrecked.....you don't want to buy a car which has had major damage. I know you had floods where you are....you do not want a car which was in a flood!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are certain types of cars which have high costs on replacement parts (ie...Pruis battery is huge money) and tire size can also result in high costs for replacement tires (make sure the car has good tires).

Check the oil to make sure it looks clean....and see if you can see the oil change records.

Whatever you do, do not accept their first price....always negotiate and keep on negotiating...sometimes we outright tell them we think you are too high and start to leave....they typically will come down several hundreds of dollars when we do that.

Hope you find a really good car and a great price!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? yes (note I was not a prisoner!)

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? yes!

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? probably not right now

Are you a good whistler? no

Will you be paying a bill today? yes

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? yes....shredded paper is tilled into the ground and all of my kitchen veggie scraps go in the compost pile.

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? I'm kind of old

Today in History:

1804 Territory of Orleans organizes Louisiana Purchase
1845 Patent awarded for adhesive medicated plaster, precursor of bandaid I hate tape residue...but now they have this cool stuff which wipes on and the residue is gone.....yay
1872 Thomas J. Martin patents fire extinguisher clap clap
1885 Eastman Film Co. manufactures first commercial motion picture film clap clap
1916 Birdman of Alcatraz receives solitary I liked the movie about this
1930 Congress appropriates $50,000 for Inter-American highway
1953 Dr. Jonas Salk announces vaccine to prevent polio one of the greatest vaccines ever
1955 "Ballad of Davy Crockett," becomes the #1 record in US

Today Is:

Legal Assistants Day
Make Up Your Own Holiday Day clap clap
American Diabetes Association Alert Day clap clap

Thanks Kobber....

Even though we ended up with 13 inches of snow at our house this week, it started warming up yesterday and about half of the snow melted. Now it's puddle jumping. By Thursday it will be in the 50's here. YAY...come on spring.

Hope everyone has a great day.....It's Terrific Tuesday!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,286,847 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? Buying a preowned car at a new car dealership isn't always a smart move. Often dealers have little or no profit margins on new vehicles so they make the most money on their used merchandise. Supply and demand will play a big factor in the price of a used vehicle. Look at new models that have a large rebate then price the same model used and you may find you will get a better value on your money if you purchase a new one. Too many variables to give you rock solid advice. Do your research and find a salesperson who is interested in helping you purchase the right vehicle not one that is interested in making big bucks off of you. Good luck!!!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? Yes, I went on a school tour once of a local prison.

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? No

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Not anymore.

Are you a good whistler? No

Will you be paying a bill today? Yes

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Always

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? Younger

Today in History:

1804 Territory of Orleans organizes Louisiana Purchase
1845 Patent awarded for adhesive medicated plaster, precursor of bandaid
1872 Thomas J. Martin patents fire extinguisher
1885 Eastman Film Co. manufactures first commercial motion picture film
1916 Birdman of Alcatraz receives solitary
1930 Congress appropriates $50,000 for Inter-American highway
1953 Dr. Jonas Salk announces vaccine to prevent polio
1955 "Ballad of Davy Crockett," becomes the #1 record in US

Today’s Word:

Wrest \ rest \ , verb;
1. to take away by force
2. to twist or turn; pull, jerk, or force by a violent twist.
3. to get by effort
4. to twist or turn from the proper course, application, use, meaning, or the like; wrench.
noun:
1. a wresting; twist or wrench.
2. a key or small wrench for tuning stringed musical instruments, as the harp or piano, by turning the pins to which the strings are fastened.

Today Is:

Legal Assistants Day
Make Up Your Own Holiday Day Chocolate day.......eat tons of it guilt & calorie free.
American Diabetes Association Alert Day]

Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 AM

11,398 posts, read 9,323,855 times
Hello all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, March 26th, 2013. My lovely 20-year old car has been pronounced terminally ill, and is at the mechanics awaiting tow-away by the wreckers. So this week I have to find a replacement – planning on a late model (but not new) runabout type hatchback – perhaps a Hyundai. It’s strange checking out car yards after a hiatus of 20 years!

Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car?
Most car dealers differ. Look for one that has perks. As long as I own my car I get free synthetic oil changes, tire rotations, inspections (honest ones at that), and car washes. The only downfall is right now I live a little over an hour away from the dealer where I bought my car. But still it's worth the drive to get the oil changes and tire rotations when needed.

If possible pay in cash or have a big down payment. Without that I recommend skipping buying a new car and get a thoroughly inspected used one instead. The interest you pay will not be a good investment on your vehicle.

I have a Nissan Altima and I'm very happy with it. It's the 2nd one I owned. Both I bought new and they have been very dependable.

Quote:
Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)?
Alcatraz.

Quote:

Do you like avocados?

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping?

Are you a good whistler?

Will you be paying a bill today?

Do you recycle trash whenever possible?
A) I do not buy avocados but there is a salad I like that has avocado in it.

B) No. I've had 2 injuries lately, one of them is my right shoulder. I have not been swimming since. I am only a fair swimmer. I've been thinking of possibly doing some light swimming in the future.

C) I can whistle.

D) No bills to pay, everything is current and I'm debt free.

E) The absence of recycling here is appalling. Where I used to live they came once a week and did a curbside pickup. Now, I gather what I have and bring it to a small grocery chain (Mom's Organic Market, about 10 miles away) where they have recycling bins.

Quote:
Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”?
Older by 13 days.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 14 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,318,442 times
day’s Questions – Tuesday, March 26th, 2013.
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, March 26th, 2013. My lovely 20-year old car has been pronounced terminally ill, and is at the mechanics awaiting tow-away by the wreckers. So this week I have to find a replacement – planning on a late model (but not new) runabout type hatchback – perhaps a Hyundai. It’s strange checking out car yards after a hiatus of 20 years!

Today’s Question:

~ go there with a guy.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? I volunteered as an ESL teacher in one.

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? I like guacamole, but not avocados. It's something about the consistency.

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Did you say 100 inches ?

Are you a good whistler? not at all . . . .

Will you be paying a bill today? yes.

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? I do .

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? I remember this very well. Every kid in the neighborhood had a coonskin hat and the boys all had air rifles.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-26-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,603,140 times
Today’s Question:

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? If you're not the best mechanic but you have a friend who is good with cars, try to get them to go with you to check it out under the hood.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? Yup. About 35 years ago the state prison about 50 miles away had an "open house" for families of the inmates. I volunteered to go visit with an inmate who didn't have family coming. Even walked in and looked at the electric chair,

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados? No!!!!!

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? Nope

Are you a good whistler? Not any more

Will you be paying a bill today? Wife does that

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Not like I used to

Just for fun:

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? It's one year older than I am. lol

Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,448,820 times
Good morning!!

Do you have any tips and hints to help me (and anyone else buying a car) get a good deal on my next car? Ooh fun what kind do you think you will get? Sorry I haven;' bought a car in a long time but I did find some links for you
10 Tips for Regret-Free Car Buying - MSN Autos

10 Car-Buying Tips From Former Salesman - ABC News

Have you ever visited a prison (either historical or working)? No.

Do you like avocados? Yes

Can you swim more than 100 yards without resting/stopping? I probably could but don't expect me to be fast, lol.

Are you a good whistler? I can whistle but not the really loud kind when people put their fingers in their mouths. I never could do that. BTW, I find constant whistling highly annoying

Will you be paying a bill today? No

Do you recycle trash whenever possible? Sometimes.

Are you older or younger than the “Ballad of Davy Crockett”? Younger

Have a great day!!!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM

37,812 posts, read 41,110,452 times
Today’s Question:

No. But I used to teach this website to my beginner computer students. It lets you compare cars side by side on all of their features. I think you can do 4 at a time. You probably already know about it.

Compare Cars Side-by-Side

Extra Credit Question:

Historical only.

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados?

I don't know.

No

Are you a good whistler?

Average

No

My apartment complex has 1 huge dumpster and a private carting company so "no" unless I'm not at home. My town does, though.

Just for fun:

Aw jeez. Not only am I older but I can sing the thing, too.

Oh, and by the way, Davy Crockett was not born on a mountain top.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,020,084 times
Today’s Question:

Do not accept the dealers first offer on price. If they will not budge much on their asking price get up and head for the door. I have only once made it to the parking lot before someone has come out to have me come back in and consider a lower price.

Extra Credit Question:

Almost. Once while working at Baltimore I decided to go for an afternoon drive. Looking at a map I saw some place called 'Patuxent Institution'. Thinking it must be a research center of some sort I decided to go check it out. Boy was I surprised when I discovered it was a prison. Not only was it a prison, it was a maximum security prison where they sent their most dangerous criminals.

Bonus Question:

Do you like avocados?
I do not like avocados. I have no use for them.

Do not know. Have not been swimming in 45 years

Are you a good whistler?
Not really.

I had not planned on paying any today.

I try. We have a separate garbage can for recycle items.

Just for fun:

I be younger. Not much younger. But younger is younger.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics