Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Karibear. It's kind of an Oklahoma thing.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Oh, those were vicious back in the day. Those newsgroups were worse than the English Parliament!
I remember those usenet, newsgroups and lists well!

That is where we NA had wars vs establishment over the whole NAGPRA thing. Ane yes, this forum is a wellcome respite.

But if you ever yearn for the old flame days, you can easily jump over to the P&OC or religion thread. It gets tiresome after a while. Because of the same old arguments being waged by new combatants. Its all been said a million times already.

I like okie thread because so many are respectful and that goes a long way in any discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I have to make a comment here.

I've been a newsgroup junkie for over 10 years, from the days when usenet was separate and browsers automatically brought up any newsgroups you might want to see. Then there was Deja and RemarQ, and things started getting ugly. Attacks got personal, people started flame wars that went on for literally years, and there werer some real psychopaths out there trying to stir things up. I finally quit, it's hard enough for me to read things without suffering through 100+ posts by some idiot telling all and sundry how to commit suicide and encouraging them to do so.

Now I limit myself to a few blogs, a couple fan sites, and life is so much more pleasant. And I'd like to say that this is one of the most diverse groups I've come across, yet you are all considerate, thoughtful, and polite to each other. It's one thing for a group to have a single common interest and be upbeat and cheerful and polite, it's quite another for a large cross section to do the same thing.

Applause for all of you.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 PM

169 posts, read 580,253 times
Thumbs up I agree..

Quote:
I have to make a comment here.

I've been a newsgroup junkie for over 10 years, from the days when usenet was separate and browsers automatically brought up any newsgroups you might want to see. Then there was Deja and RemarQ, and things started getting ugly. Attacks got personal, people started flame wars that went on for literally years, and there werer some real psychopaths out there trying to stir things up. I finally quit, it's hard enough for me to read things without suffering through 100+ posts by some idiot telling all and sundry how to commit suicide and encouraging them to do so.

Now I limit myself to a few blogs, a couple fan sites, and life is so much more pleasant. And I'd like to say that this is one of the most diverse groups I've come across, yet you are all considerate, thoughtful, and polite to each other. It's one thing for a group to have a single common interest and be upbeat and cheerful and polite, it's quite another for a large cross section to do the same thing.

Applause for all of you.
I agree with you. I'm not from Oklahoma but find everyone here to be very supportive & friendly. Originally, I posted on this forum for relocation information. Although we're not quite in a position to make any moves yet, I do find myself stopping by the OK forum just to see what's happening & how things are going. My husband will post in some of the forums I avoid like religion & politics. I tend to stay out of those debates - gotta keep the old blood pressure in check .

Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
karibear'

Just don't go to the "Immigration" thread, it can get nasty there.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:11 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Mummies fascinate me, too,
I'm more of a hooter type guy....................mammeries fascinate me more than a bunch of dead folk.

Quote:
And I'd like to say that this is one of the most diverse groups I've come across, yet you are all considerate, thoughtful, and polite to each other.
Next thing you will be saying is we are polite and say "yes ma'am" when we can actually be just as rude as anyone else. We just don't make a career of it, and use rudeness kinda like we use cuss words.......frequently at the same time.......

Old 01-06-2008, 05:08 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Next thing you will be saying is we are polite and say "yes ma'am" when we can actually be just as rude as anyone else. We just don't make a career of it, and use rudeness kinda like we use cuss words.......frequently at the same time.......
Some people do. If you go back about 10 years to the dog ngs, especially breeds and training, you'll find more than a few whose sole purpose in life seemed to be aimed at stirring up discord as much as possible. Someone actually went to the trouble of counting one such individual's posts everywhere she could find them, and the general consensus was that he must have spent nearly 20 hours a day posting vitriol. His basic attitude was FUAD. And no, if you don't already know what it means, I will NOT translate it.

That's why I enjoy this forum so much.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Speaking of spreading the manure posters, have you guys read the https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-cesspool.html thread?
That is one unhappy camper. His sole purpose in life is the dish out the dirt on LV.
It borders on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

We have lots to complain about here in OK if we truly wanted to. But compared to the rest of the US, we have it pretty darn good.

As long as humans hate our weather and location, we will pretty much stay underpopulated and relatively happy campers. Except of course, the large cities here in OK have their share of vermin. I ought to know, I work with them. (State Pen)

Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Speaking of spreading the manure posters, have you guys read the https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-cesspool.html thread?
That is one unhappy camper. His sole purpose in life is the dish out the dirt on LV.
Quote:
We have lots to complain about here in OK if we truly wanted to. But compared to the rest of the US, we have it pretty darn good.

As long as humans hate our weather and location, we will pretty much stay underpopulated and relatively happy campers. Except of course, the large cities here in OK have their share of vermin. I ought to know, I work with them. (State Pen)
I lived with someone simular to that for 21 yr's in Ca. She was Bi-Polar, (Maniac Depressive)

Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post

Some people are happier when they're miserable, and they try to make everyone else just as miserable. One of the things I miss most about bot being able to get the ngs through my browser now is that one could block specific posters or subjects. Couldn't do that with Deja, RemarQ, or Google. You get all or nothing now.

I went over to the forum for a nearby state, and boyoboy, were they ever a bunch of negative whiners. Seemed like they took everything personally, from the vagaries of the economy to illegal immigration to people wanting to retire in 'their' state. While they didn't actually attack anyone [at least not in the few threads I read], they sure didn't leave a good impression, either.

The city situations are precisely why I want to move to a small town, where people are more likely than not to be at least pleasant, if not overwhelmingly friendly.

As for your employment, I have to say I knew quite a few ex-cons back in Alaska - it was, and probably still is, a place where people go to run away from their pasts. A lot of them change their names as well. But as for the ones I knew, what amazed me the most, considering how they grew up from the bits and pieces I picked up, was that they weren't any worse than they were. Most of them grew up in foster care and weren't placed in very good situations, to say the least. I have no idea what I'd have been like if I'd been in a similar situation. Some of them came from good homes, but when they acted like normal teenagers, like cutting school a couple times or sneaking a beer, their own families claimed they were incorrigible and dumped them. Most of the ones I knew were basically good guys who just got dealt a rotten hand.

Which, of course, is not to say that a lot of cons aren't total scuzballs.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Some of them came from good homes, but when they acted like normal teenagers, like cutting school a couple times or sneaking a beer, their own families claimed they were incorrigible and dumped them. Most of the ones I knew were basically good guys who just got dealt a rotten hand.
That's true. My 18 year old son gave us some trouble about a year ago that went on for several months. We didn't come down hard on him, but we did place some restrictions on his freedom. Because we kept the lines of communication open, he continued to talk to us, and things never got ugly. He improved quite a bit over the last few months, so we agreed to leave him home when we went to OKC this past week. He went to school, to work, took care of the dog, etc. His last night at home he had some friends over for a beer party -- BUT took everyone's keys off them when they arrived, he had very little to drink himself, and supervised the whole thing. One friend drank too much and fell asleep, and my son said every 15 mintues he went over and put his finger under the guy's nose to make sure he was still breathing. He cleaned everything up, took out the trash, sent everyone home the next morning, and if I hadn't noticed how tired he was I never would have guessed. He did tell me he was having a couple of guys over Saturday night after work to "hang out". So, I said "how was your party last night", he was amazed and said "how did you know it was a party?" (Mothers know everything). Then he told me about it, and even though I wasn't too pleased, at least he acted responsibly and 'fessed up when asked. All in all, I think he handled himself quite well while we were away. You have to allow teens to make mistakes and correct them. You can't shove them out the door at the first sign of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma