Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times

Advertisements

KariBear wrote:
Quote:
I went over to the forum for a nearby state, and boyoboy, were they ever a bunch of negative whiners. Seemed like they took everything personally, from the vagaries of the economy to illegal immigration to people wanting to retire in 'their' state. While they didn't actually attack anyone [at least not in the few threads I read], they sure didn't leave a good impression, either.
I've been to a couple of immigration sites like that. It wasn't that they were for or against anything, it's that they didn't beleive that illegal immagration was as bad as it is, that is until I dropped them a couple of video's.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I've been to a couple of immigration sites like that. It wasn't that they were for or against anything, it's that they didn't beleive that illegal immagration was as bad as it is, that is until I dropped them a couple of video's.
Legal and illegal immigration is a weird thing. My sister's grandson-in-law was brought illegally to the US when he was a couple months old, then the parents vanished and he grew up in a series of unofficial foster homes. Someone finally figured out he didn't have a US birth certificate, and now he's fighting being deported. At the last hearing, the judge told him to go back to Mexico - he's never spoken Spanish in his life, and 'back' to a place he left when he was 2 months old? - and make arrangements for their baby to be treated there. The baby has a lot of medical problems, and their doctor has already testified that sending the baby away too would be a death sentence. The judge ignored that bit. He just said 'If you don't want to take care of your family there, you'll just have to leave them behind.' No recommendation as to how the guy was supposed to communicate with people who speak what is to him a foreign language, let alone how to find adequate medical facilities [which according to their current doctor don't exist in Mexico, anyway]. The guy has always considered himself an American, but apparently the judge didn't see it that way. Every time there's another appeal, they and the lawyer have to travel from St Louis to Kansas City, which is rather costly. Once the doctor made the trip with them, so he lost at least a day, also. The whole family is chipping in to help pay expenses, but it seems to go on forever. And if he'd been a sleaze, he'd have gotten a fake ID and birth certificate, but he's honest and is trying to do the right thing. You just never know, looking at people, who's who and what's what.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I have heard that Mexico actually has good medical care for its citizens. But the baby would not be a citizen of Mexico, so the baby would be out of luck there, I suppose.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Now that's one of the very few things that I would give exception to.
But if that was put on the books they would all try and take advange if it.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
*hee hee*

I am baking enchiladas today to take out to Dad's for supper, but I just had to take a break, pop in here and share something...

Ft Sill is apparently having a "Field Day" (Mortar practice)... I keep hearing *Boom* rattle, rattle *Boom* rattle, rattle. The weather conditions have to be Just Right for the sound to carry this far and it always makes me *giggle*. (Feels kinda safe hearing those big guns go off! )

Back to baking! http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/wavey.gif (broken link)

Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM

Is that what that is? For awhile thought that they might be "slight' tremors.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Peggy, there is a thread already on the 3 books chosen. I'm reading 1000 Splendid Suns, and I think you will love it. It's so good.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 AM

Thanks, Jess. My 1000 Splendid Suns hasn't arrived yet, but I will check out the forum.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Thanks, Jess. My 1000 Splendid Suns hasn't arrived yet, but I will check out the forum.
what are the other two books? i read a review of 1000 splendid suns and i dont think i could read that one

Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM

The other two are Water for Elephants and Boom-Voices of the 60s.

I already read Water for Elephants and it was good. I am sick of hearing about the baby boomers and the sixties so I don't want to read the other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma