Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,395,614 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that has diabetes and she takes two cinnamon capsules, and her blood sugar goes down to 80 in 30 minutes. I wonder now how often she takes them and how does she monitor her levels. She is almost off insulin or is. I guess I need to ask her more.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 AM

34,353 posts, read 20,629,436 times
Cinammon, eh? Strange. I have no doubt there are many natural remedies we can use to combat diabetes and other health issues. I feel the urge for cinammon rolls already!

You know that TV commercial with Wilford Brimley where he says, Hi, my name is Wilford Brimley and I am a diabetic....

Well, Don wrote to the company and said if a person has cancer, you don't go around saying, Hi, my name is so and so, and I am a cancer.

About 6 months later the commercials changed. And he started saying he HAS diabetes, or something similar. Now he has gone back to saying he is a diabetic.

Semantics, but funny tidbit of trivia.

Last edited by _redbird_; 12-30-2007 at 06:08 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 03:03 PM

11,887 posts, read 37,031,627 times
Redbird and Goodpasture, please share what you can with us non-Indian folk. I have become intensely interested in Native American philosophies and perspectives over the last two years.

This is kind of off-topic and such, but have any of you ever watched the Daniel Boone tv series. I know, but don't laugh; I realize it is tv after all.

However, I thought that program, off all that I have seen on tv (tv series) is more historically accurate regarding their accounts of Native Americans than others that I have seen. I record that program everyday and watch it every night. It's a great show. The program never views the Indian as a stereotype; it portrays each tribe as being different, and most of them in a positive aspect. In the show, Daniel Boone is very pro-Native American (even though he may or may have not been in real life). And the program was in the 60s, when much of the stereotypical images were portrayed of all cultures. If you haven't seen that show, please check it out.

Back on topic. Please continue to share what you can about Native American culture. We've been missing out all of these years and need to learn from our Native American friends..

Old 12-30-2007, 03:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,048,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Redbird and Goodpasture, please share what you can with us non-Indian folk...
I'm not too sure what to tell you. If you saw me, you would call me anglo or white. So while my heritage is diverse, there are things that we have done all our lives that are part of the heritage from our grandparents an our ancestors. But to share what we can as native American....RB, can share how he responds to a situation as one brought up with Kiowa heritage....I would have no idea how to respond as a Kiowa, any more than I would know how to respond as an Apache or Winnebago or Swiss or German or Nigerian. When a subject comes up that triggers a memory or that I address differently than you seem to, I will share what I can.

Some things I do because they are my nature to do. Once upon a time I preached in a baptist church for a couple of years. I discovered I had little in common with church goers, as I prefer to spend my time in prayer in a private place where I feel that the spirit of God resides, not in a building, so I quit preaching. But I am not sure this is a NA thing or something from my own spiritual walk or perhaps racial memory from my Celtic ancestors. I've hunted all my life, but never liked trophy hunting. When in the woods I prefer to make no noise, and I try to leave campsites better than when I got there.....but is this a NA thing or simply one with an awareness and consideration for life around us? Do I believe in bad spirits? of course....even the bible tells us of them. are there good spirits? absolutely.

But, again, I am not sure how to go about telling you NA things. And those things I do may not be done by other people or even other clans in the Cherokee nation

Old 12-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I'm not too sure what to tell you. If you saw me, you would call me anglo or white. So while my heritage is diverse, there are things that we have done all our lives that are part of the heritage from our grandparents an our ancestors. But to share what we can as native American....RB, can share how he responds to a situation as one brought up with Kiowa heritage....I would have no idea how to respond as a Kiowa, any more than I would know how to respond as an Apache or Winnebago or Swiss or German or Nigerian. When a subject comes up that triggers a memory or that I address differently than you seem to, I will share what I can.

Some things I do because they are my nature to do. Once upon a time I preached in a baptist church for a couple of years. I discovered I had little in common with church goers, as I prefer to spend my time in prayer in a private place where I feel that the spirit of God resides, not in a building, so I quit preaching. But I am not sure this is a NA thing or something from my own spiritual walk or perhaps racial memory from my Celtic ancestors. I've hunted all my life, but never liked trophy hunting. When in the woods I prefer to make no noise, and I try to leave campsites better than when I got there.....but is this a NA thing or simply one with an awareness and consideration for life around us? Do I believe in bad spirits? of course....even the bible tells us of them. are there good spirits? absolutely.

But, again, I am not sure how to go about telling you NA things. And those things I do may not be done by other people or even other clans in the Cherokee nation
Goodpasture, even that perspective is much appreciated. I am aware of much, since I grew up in the Choctaw/Chickasaw Nations. However, I never explored as much as I would like to as I've grown older. I like the NA take on many things, such as the building not mattering and such; I agree. I think God resides in the heart and not in a building.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:40 AM

I found so much of the traditional wisdom was held away from the public eye for a long time, but now that is beginning to change. And as our elders who hold so much wisdom begin to age out, we NA's can see our heritage slipping away. There are a lot of young film makers, artists, and writers who are trying to capture the traditions before its too late.

I think in general, there has been a great surge in learning as much as we can from those who remember the traditional ways.

That is one of the reasons I always take the time to speak to elderly people, of any race. I am fascinated by the history held within each person's mind. And most of that was never written down, so it will vanish when they pass on.

In the old days, all our traditions were passed on orally, there were no books. So we used stories and songs to pass one ancient traditions. Here in Oklahoma, it is a blessing to have so many tribes in one state. No one wants to be called a bunch of apples.

No matter how progressive a tribe becomes, they never let go of their traditions.

So a slander like saying an Indian is Returning to the Blanket, is actually positive in our eyes.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I'm not too sure what to tell you. If you saw me, you would call me anglo or white. So while my heritage is diverse, there are things that we have done all our lives that are part of the heritage from our grandparents an our ancestors.
Actually, your spirituality and respect for mother nature are right on with traditional teachings.

In the beginning of the Indian/White relations, the ministers came out of the woodwork. In their effort to save the soul of the savage, they built schools and church's etc all over Indian Country.

The problem was, so many of those felt compelled to teach not only God's message, but that assimilation meant putting away traditional ways.

So language, dance, and songs suffered terribly. The boarding schools have that hidden dark side of history wherein removing the childred from their elders was the best way to kill the heritage.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 AM

Yes, those schools and the insistence of turning from traditional ways hurt the tribes terribly. To not only take land but the attempt to take away the heart and soul of an entire culture was terrible. I am glad there are many younger NAs that are attempting to revive much of the old ways. I work for one of those tribes and have benefited greatly from studying their history and culture. Even though I am white, in my business I represent the tribe on my travels. It is a requirement to study and learn the tribe's culture, language, philosophy, and history so we can better represent the tribe; I love it and I have NEVER been treated better anywhere than I have since working for the tribe.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,815,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Yes, those schools and the insistence of turning from traditional ways hurt the tribes terribly. To not only take land but the attempt to take away the heart and soul of an entire culture was terrible. I am glad there are many younger NAs that are attempting to revive much of the old ways. I work for one of those tribes and have benefited greatly from studying their history and culture. Even though I am white, in my business I represent the tribe on my travels. It is a requirement to study and learn the tribe's culture, language, philosophy, and history so we can better represent the tribe; I love it and I have NEVER been treated better anywhere than I have since working for the tribe.
Which tribe do you work for, and where is your job located?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,653,312 times
I like listening to the elders of all races too. It is very important to hand down the knowledge gained from years of experience, and to keep the traditions of the past while understanding their meaning.

The language projects to teach young NAs their language are also very important. These languages should not become extinct.

By the way, has anyone else watched Four Sheets to the Wind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma