Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,341,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What would you like to talk about, Kari?

Just curious~are you happy with your move? Do you find the vibe in OK to be what you expected it to be? Friendly like it is here?
Talk about anything!

I still love it here. I have some super neighbors, one day she came over just to make sure I was okay because they hadn't seen me outside for awhile. [I'd been out a lot, but in the back yard moving more stuff - long story.] And he's been keeping me supplied with fresh veggies from their garden. Back in WA, the place could have fallen down around my ears, and no one would have paid any attention, unless it caught fire. Then they would have - maybe - worried that a fire might spread to their places.

The only dark spot, not all that dark or unexpected, really, was last week when my used fridge crapped out. So I called a few places, and the one who offered to pick me up and bring me to their store got the $$ for a new one. Not so far I couldn't have easily walked there, but it was while we were still getting showers from the remains of Gustav.

So - yes, people are still very friendly, and I still can't quite decide whether they are 'normal' friendly, or just seem overly so after nearly 8 years of living in purgatory.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,311,184 times
Default been here less than a week but impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Talk about anything!

I still love it here. I have some super neighbors, one day she came over just to make sure I was okay because they hadn't seen me outside for awhile. [I'd been out a lot, but in the back yard moving more stuff - long story.] And he's been keeping me supplied with fresh veggies from their garden. Back in WA, the place could have fallen down around my ears, and no one would have paid any attention, unless it caught fire. Then they would have - maybe - worried that a fire might spread to their places.

The only dark spot, not all that dark or unexpected, really, was last week when my used fridge crapped out. So I called a few places, and the one who offered to pick me up and bring me to their store got the $$ for a new one. Not so far I couldn't have easily walked there, but it was while we were still getting showers from the remains of Gustav.

So - yes, people are still very friendly, and I still can't quite decide whether they are 'normal' friendly, or just seem overly so after nearly 8 years of living in purgatory.
There are people out to take you anywhere, including the so called contractor who supposedly did a lot of work on the house. But everyone seems to be so wonderful that I'm thrilled. My computer dissapeared from my window in Riverside and nobody had a clue. I'm still amazed when people answering phones are actually friendly and not following a script.

This move was made knowing that there really is no going back, cost wise or emotion wise. From the day we arrived with my stuff I felt like I was in a whole different world and still do. What is interesting is the feeling must be catching. I've talked to people with all kinds of accents and there isn't that on guard attitude.

Agree that its hard to tell if its as good as it feels in comparison, but even if its not its a whole lot better.

The storm last night that put on the big light show and all the rain and power outage now... was that a personal welcome from the weather gods? LOL

Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,802,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Agree that its hard to tell if its as good as it feels in comparison, but even if its not its a whole lot better.
Well, I can address that because we were very happy with the place we came from. Our main reason for moving was the high cost of living and high taxes in NJ. But we lived in a small town, had been there for 22 years. We had lots of friends, never went outside the house without meeting someone we knew. Also, our neighbors were friendly and nice. Both of my kids had a lot of friends (dubious ones in my sons's case).

We are now in OK 7+ months. We love it here. My town (Mustang) reminds me SOOOOO much of the town we came from. The people are friendly, nice, and the town is small enough that you meet people you know wherever. The town has the typical "small town" events: community days, parades, community pool and center, high school plays, and sports, etc. My daughter is doing great at the high school and has made a lot of friends, and is always busy going out with friends.

So, in addition to life being as good here as where we left, we have a lower COL, less stress, better weather, more open spaces.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
So, in addition to life being as good here as where we left, we have a lower COL, less stress, better weather, more open spaces.
Just for the fun of it, I started a new thread in the AK forum, "You know you're from Alaska when..."

My daughter sent it to me and it gives a good picture of how I lived for over 30 years. However, some of it applies to OK as well. So if you're the curious type, hop over there and take a look.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,496,632 times
So the concensus seems to be that Ok is as friendly as you expected it to be? You guys all know that we never lived there and only visited once, but we also found it to be friendly~especially in the smaller towns. It made it feel like home.

Kari, I didn't realize you had lived in Alaska!!! How was the weather change for you? OR is it Arkansas? Ever since they changed states to a two letter abbreviation, I've struggled.

Speaking of Gustav~you guys will probably get a bit of rain and wind from Ike by next Sat. or Sun.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:09 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,578,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
You complain because no one's here, no one's posting, it's gotten boring, but no one wants anything to do with a real discusson or just plain chat and have some fun. Where are you hiding? Iit's all Q's and A's, which is fine for people who are looking for specific informaton, but where's the fun that encouraged me to move here?
Maybe we should ask Moderator LR to retire the old Okie Chat since it has gone past its prime, now it's all old and cryptic, empty and sad. It had more than 2K posts, so I think we should let it go away with dignity. Let LR chop it down with her new Mod Axe. Go ahead, LR, chop it down with one mighty Mod swat!!

Then we can all jump on Karibear's shiny new thread and start a new and fresh thread!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,840,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Maybe we should ask Moderator LR to retire the old Okie Chat since it has gone past its prime, now it's all old and cryptic, empty and sad. It had more than 2K posts, so I think we should let it go away with dignity. Let LR chop it down with her new Mod Axe. Go ahead, LR, chop it down with one mighty Mod swat!!

Then we can all jump on Karibear's shiny new thread and start a new and fresh thread!
Sorry, not willing to sticky a post with a smiley called "OK you guys" Too depressing...

How about I just merge all of this nice conversation into the old thread and breathe new life into it!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
So the concensus seems to be that Ok is as friendly as you expected it to be? You guys all know that we never lived there and only visited once, but we also found it to be friendly~especially in the smaller towns. It made it feel like home.

Kari, I didn't realize you had lived in Alaska!!! How was the weather change for you? OR is it Arkansas? Ever since they changed states to a two letter abbreviation, I've struggled.

Speaking of Gustav~you guys will probably get a bit of rain and wind from Ike by next Sat. or Sun.
No, it was Alaska, for just over 30 years. I knew what to expect from the weather, I grew up in St Lousy, er, ah, St Louis. It's hot and very humid there, much more so than here. I knew it would take a bit of re-acclimatizing, so I wasn't particularly worried about it. I do know what you mean about the state abbrevs, though, back in the very early '80s I was offered a pre-approved credit card because 'my income was so high for a teacher in Arkansas.' They withdrew the offer when I called and explained I wasn't a teacher, I was a secretary for s school district in Alaska.

Actually, where I lived in Alaska had mostly milder weather than St Louis, but they lasted a lot longer and the summers were a lot shorter. When winter decided to get nasty, though, it surely did. Storms with steady winds of 70+ mph weren't [still aren't] uncommon, and it gets downright nasty when it's blowing like that and the temp is below zero.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Sorry, not willing to sticky a post with a smiley called "OK you guys" Too depressing...

How about I just merge all of this nice conversation into the old thread and breathe new life into it!
It's okay with me. The was because I read some of the complaints in the chat thread, but no one seemed to want to do anything about it.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,840,602 times
I know Kari. And actually I can't merge them... well I could, but it would be like shuffling a deck of cards. All of the posts would mix with the others in order of time posted and NOTHING would make sense!

(Not even RB )

I dunno, might be amusing... what do y'all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma