Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

It's been so dry that the a small part of the bottom of Boomer Lake in Stillwater is showing as pictured where the white birds are. Rainfall amounts this fall have been significantly lower than the previous one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
All day the temperature/dewpoint spread's been 1 degree or less. At 4:25 it got dark here, Sheppard AFB recalled all aircraft, and this ominous dust cloud has covered the sky. Still relatively calm (winds 270/10) but looking nasty out west.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 01-08-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Current temps for OK and surrounding states. Squall line formed to the East with Tornado and T-Storm warnings. Snow and Blizzard to the north. Looks like windy conditions for OK. Most of you are experiencing temps cooler than us here in CT.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:23 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,099 times
4-6 inches possible on Christmas Day depending where you are in OK. Models need to be in better agreement to pinpoint where the band of 4 inch plus of snow will come through.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,886 times
Default Another repeat of 2009?

Get ready! This could potentially be a whopper especially for you folks east of Hwy 177 and south of Hwy 33 for Christmas Day. Possibly up to a foot for places like Okemah, McAlester, Poteau areas, maybe more.
As of now.. OKC around 5 inches, Tulsa around 4 inches. The cold and unsettled weather will be around thru at least New Years and possibly into the first week of Jan. The potential is there that this overall pattern may lock in for below normal temps. overall until at least the middle of Jan. before we resume our typically above normal temperature regime. This snow loving yankee dude is a happy camper!! Lets just hope we get enough moisture to save our wheat crop, which is in bad shape now. I'll try to post more if I can regarding what could be another repeat of our 2009 epic storm. If I'm unable to, have a blessed Christmas!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
What do you think might happen around Durant on Christmas day? I see forecasts of some snow fall but not a significant amount up there. I am driving from Plano to Durant and back on Christmas Day, may need my all wheel drive SUV if the amount is large.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 AM

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT:

Message summary: ...winter storm outlook for christmas day...
Weather forecast models depict the potential for a winter storm to affect portions of oklahoma christmas day. The forecast models are fairly consistent on where the storm track will be...primarily affecting areas from woodward and elk city...toward oklahoma city...lawton...ardmore...ada...and durant. However...the models vary greatly on the amount of snow accumulation. With the significant differences in the forecasted snow amounts...a winter storm watch will not be issued this morning. There is high confidence that very low wind chills will affect oklahoma and western north texas christmas day into wednesday. In addition...even if only light amounts of snow are received...
Northerly winds will be strong enough to create low visibilities for motorists. Everyone across oklahoma and northern texas should pay close attention to refined forecasts later today and tonight. If you are planning to travel for the holiday week...have a contingency plan in place and prepare for weather-related delays and cancellations.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM

WINTER STORM WATCH STARTS LATE MONDAY NIGHT--Covers all Oklahoma except the northeast part and the panhandle:

Message summary: ...winter storm watch in effect from late monday night through tuesday evening...
The national weather service in norman has issued a winter storm watch...which is in effect from late monday night through tuesday evening.
* timing: snow will develop between midnight and 9 am cst on tuesday and be heaviest during the daytime hours before tapering off to flurries tuesday evening. Blowing and drifting snow will occur as well during tuesday afternoon and evening due to strong north winds.
* main impact: snow accumulations...blowing and drifting snow will be the main impacts. Total snow accumulations will be generally 2 to 6 inches with locally heavier amounts.
* other impacts: considerable blowing and drifting snow from north winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph and possible near whiteout conditions will make travel hazardous. Wind chill values will be in the -10 to +10 range allowing for possible hypothermia.

Stillwater Weather Advisories, Watches, Warnings, Etc.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 12-23-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 PM

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when I looked at the latest NAM model (short term weather computer model) which depicts nearly 20 inches of snow from northeast Canadian County east and northeast to Stillwater.. I think this is overdone BUT, other models keep trending toward heavier amounts north and west. My guess still is 4-5 inches for OKC and Stillwater, 4 inches for Tulsa and maybe a band of up to a foot from Henryetta/Okemah to Sallisaw.. Convective snow bursts likely where even a clap or two of thunder will be possible. More soon as my prediction may now be under done.... wow!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Below is a time sensitive link to the graphic depicting forecasted snow amounts.

Earl's GIS NAM 5KM Radar Site Overlays Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma