Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
This is horrible not Christmas at all. I moved from the upper Midwest and boy do I miss the snow. Now we haven't had rain for so long I am getting worried about that. I have a blueberry upick and irrigation is getting low not to mention cattle! I am now running water to them from a (Thank the Good Lord) a wonderful well. I don't know what we'd do without that well. Our ponds and creeks look sick.
Blueberries I had no idea they could do well in Oklahoma WITH irrigation. They have enough problems with heat and dryness in Missouri near Kansas City which is why the season is always short. The best blueberries I ever picked were in orchards in New Hampshire and Maine and they were quite excellent.
Back to the pattern: I DO SEE that the GFS has cooler air with precip chances starting in the next 5-7 days. I do not see excessive warmth for the last half of the month in most of Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,346,801 times
Is that snow I am seeing outside? That wasn't on the forecast but nice to see~

Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 AM

24,319 posts, read 13,171,522 times
Only a dusting in SW OK, but at least the wind's down.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,553,551 times
A minute dusting of snow in McAlester area too. We have 23 degree temps.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,553,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Blueberries I had no idea they could do well in Oklahoma WITH irrigation. They have enough problems with heat and dryness in Missouri near Kansas City which is why the season is always short. The best blueberries I ever picked were in orchards in New Hampshire and Maine and they were quite excellent.
Back to the pattern: I DO SEE that the GFS has cooler air with precip chances starting in the next 5-7 days. I do not see excessive warmth for the last half of the month in most of Oklahoma.
I think there are some blackberry's growing wild around Prague, OK. I even heard there is a black bear that visits the area to harvest them too.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,346,801 times
[quote=GraniteStater;27240761]Blueberries I had no idea they could do well in Oklahoma WITH irrigation.

Ozarks Blue out of University of Ar. They are wonderful and the best blueberries I've tasted. Easy to grow organic too. Thankfully, we are getting cold temps for the blueberries. They still need so many hours of freezing temps per year.

Redbud are you out of McAlester. I am west and my ranch got a little more than a minute dusting. Of course, it is gone now.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM

653 posts, read 1,788,501 times
I'm liking more and more some of the pattern changes that the models are offering. I now think that the chances for a white Christmas for at least part of Oklahoma is a real possibility.. still slim, but better than usual. Chances are growing also for some substantial cold right at or just after Christmas as well. More on this soon. Thanks for the posts in keeping this thread going.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I'm liking more and more some of the pattern changes that the models are offering. I now think that the chances for a white Christmas for at least part of Oklahoma is a real possibility.. still slim, but better than usual. Chances are growing also for some substantial cold right at or just after Christmas as well. More on this soon. Thanks for the posts in keeping this thread going.
Possibly... The GFS does not show a lot of cold for most of the US relative to average. I would really like for the PNA (Pacific North American) pattern to go into positive territory as most areas east of the Mississippi remain quite mild with respect to average. The -PNA pattern usually means mild weather for most of the eastern US. A +PNA combined with a -NAO and -AO would be ideal for those that want a dose of cold and stormy conditions.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM

The GFS is insistent of a pattern change starting around Christmas Day.. I am still skeptical as I've seen this too many times on this model only to have it flip a few days later. Still, all this arctic air building across northwestern Canada, Alaska and much of Russia and China has to go south at some point. A very expansive arctic outbreak is under way across much of northern Russia north of 50N and building into the North American continent does pose a threat for a "piece" of this to break off around the last week of the month.

As much as I love to feel some cold weather, I rather see some rain, and I don't see anything appreciable even this weekend despite what some of the shorter term models imply. I think these models are still having a difficult time deciphering the amount of low level dryness that's been so prevalent.

Still, at least enough rain may occur to at least wet the ground a little bit later Friday/Friday night.. even a rumble of thunder isn't out of the question along and east of a Vici/Watonga/Anadarko line, east.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Pretty certain now that a significant change is in the cards to Oklahoma with the initial start coming tomorrow (12/19) but the big kahuna arrives right at or just after Christmas. Models still vary widely on the potential of a VERY SIGNIFICANT winter storm that if the GFS model verifies will impact nearly all 77 counties of the state. HOWEVER, for you winter weather lovers (and yours truly).. don't quite celebrate yet.

The European model, which has historically been more accurate, is suggesting that we will dodge not only the snow but most of the moisture as well.. which doesn't bode well for agricultural interests. We are still a week out on the impending storm system so much can still happen. My feeling on this is that there will be some frozen precip. with this but nothing what the GFS is forecasting. I am about 90% certain though that we will be feeling some substantially colder weather starting around Christmas and may last at least a week to ten days before a return to our typically above normal dry conditions that I still am predicting (reluctantly) that will be more common than not for the 2012-13 winter season. I think the snow/ice chances still will be better than they have been once the colder pattern takes hold and it's not out of the question that a note worthy snow/ice event is possible between the 12/25-1/4/13 time period.

I'll post more soon.. looking forward to what others are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma