Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,989 times

Advertisements

I hope not! It is 48 degrees today here in Eastern OK. I pray we get a decent winter and where is the rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM

653 posts, read 1,793,482 times
I thought this thread had died.. glad to see a little interest. I'm expecting a very warm start to December but a possible (and I mean, possible) pattern change after about Dec. 10th or so. Potentially a modified arctic outbreak may influence our state by that date and the possibility exists that a colder than normal period may ensue for the last half of the month. Depending on how much snowcover there is north of us will dictate how cold it may get. As of now, I think we'll be on the edge of the cold wave if it does materialize with the greatest anomalies across the Great Lakes and the corn belt. Unfortunately, precipitation amounts will be scant at best here in Okla. and across the rest of the southern plains for at least the next two weeks and likely alot longer.

Further ahead, I think this winter will be characterized by much drier than normal conditions with unusually wide swings in temperatures. I think we'll see at least a couple of significant incursions of polar and modified arctic air masses where temperatures for periods of up to 3-4 days could range up to 20 degrees below average but will rebound just as quickly to 20 to 30 degrees above average. This pattern is a classic drought cycle that Oklahoma goes through every 20-30 years, unfortunately of which we are in the middle of. As for the moisture, it's highly likely we'll see sub normal amounts of rain and snow.. some areas, especially west of I-35 will likely be exceptionally below normal for the winter season. This does not mean there won't be any ice/snow events, I think there will be at least one or two but won't be of much consequence.

As of now, unless we can get a major pattern shift.. expect drought conditions to worsen into the spring and summer of 2013. Wish I had better news.. I truly hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Just read the updated winter forecast from Weatherbell.com which I'm a subscriber. Their last winter prediction was not that accurate but then again, no long term forecaster got last winter's prediction right,
This winter Weatherbell is forecasting a mild Dec., a colder than normal Jan. and a slightly above normal Feb. temperature wise. What's interesting is that they are predicting an ABOVE average amount of snowfall for all of Oklahoma. I'll believe it when I see the whites of it's eyes. Ironically, they think that this winter could be similar to 2010-11, if you recall, Feb of 2011, we saw an almost apocalyptic snow and cold event that sent temperatures plummeting to all time record lows (-31F in Nowata) and close to 40" of snow for the month of Feb. in parts of the Grand Lake area that month, an event I still relish as one of the greatest meteorologic anomalies of our life time. Given the current pattern we're in, I find it hard to believe that we'll see anything even close to that, but hey.. this is Oklahoma, where the abnormal is the normal when it comes to the weather.. gotta love it!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Becoming increasingly confident of a pattern change roughly starting the end of next week (around 12/8-10), and may last intermittently for at least a few weeks. We should see some brief but impressive chill that will graze our area for about 2-4 days at a stretch followed by much above normal temperatures that would last about as long. It's possible that we'll experience temperatures as low as 12-16F here in the OKC, Stillwater area during the colder periods with daytime highs in the 30's, then suddenly warm into the 60's, perhaps near 70 a day or two later. What I don't see is a break in the dry streak we're currently facing. It's conceivable that we'll experience one of the driest December's on record. More to follow.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,989 times
How long do drought generally last rocky? I have lived here for 14 years and last two summers were killers for me. Watering cows is not fun!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,161,058 times
Thanks for the interesting analysis Rocky. Just how cold did OKC and Tulsa get in the anomalous 2010-11 winter? That -30 in NE OK rivels all time record lows in the Upper Midwest! Yikes!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM

26,482 posts, read 46,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Thanks for the interesting analysis Rocky. Just how cold did OKC and Tulsa get in the anomalous 2010-11 winter? That -30 in NE OK rivels all time record lows in the Upper Midwest! Yikes!
The coldest low temperature since records have been kept for the Upper Midwest east of the Mississippi River was -60F in Couderay, WI in January 1996. -30F is frigid, but paltry to how cold lows can get further north.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
How long do drought generally last rocky? I have lived here for 14 years and last two summers were killers for me. Watering cows is not fun!
The average cyclical drought is about 3 to 5 years but some have been known to last up to 10 years as what apparently happened in the 1880's to 1890's and from roughly 1910-1918.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,161,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The coldest low temperature since records have been kept for the Upper Midwest east of the Mississippi River was -60F in Couderay, WI in January 1996. -30F is frigid, but paltry to how cold lows can get further north.
Well, yes....of course I didn't mean it rivaled the record lows there, just that it was up there with record lows for good old Madison, WI as a matter of fact. That is pretty amazing to me that a good chunk of the Upper Midwest has similar record lows, sans the Northwoods of Wisconsin, Michigan's UP and the Minnesota-ND corridor! I guess I should have said lower-upper Midwest lol....

Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 PM

26,482 posts, read 46,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Well, yes....of course I didn't mean it rivaled the record lows there, just that it was up there with record lows for good old Madison, WI as a matter of fact. That is pretty amazing to me that a good chunk of the Upper Midwest has similar record lows, sans the Northwoods of Wisconsin, Michigan's UP and the Minnesota-ND corridor! I guess I should have said lower-upper Midwest lol....
Yes, the Upper Midwest is quite diverse, meaning lots of different climate zones in a relatively short distance. You are correct that it is suprising that Madison, WI does not have a few record lows that are as cold or colder than -40F. That low temperature of -31F of Nowata was probably a once in 1,000 years type of event given the latitude and elevation in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma