Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 AM

26 posts, read 53,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melabell View Post
Bass101 - I was just complaining to my husband about the EXACT SAME THING. We have lived here for almost four years. I feel so lonely sometimes. I don't need a large social circle. For my personality type, one or two close friends is much better than a large group of casual friends. I am so frustrated. The other ladies I encounter all seem to have their little groups. Ugh!
I almost feel relieved by your post! I have been here almost a year and know NO ONE. I've joined things at my kids' school and go to classes at my gym instead of working out on my own but no one seems interested in meeting new people or getting to know me. I go home feeling more lonely than ever. I come from New England and I thought THAT was supposed to be the area where it was hard to get to know people. I haven't found a job, which would probably help, but meanwhile..... I'd be happy with just one girlfriend I could call from time to time, especially when my husband is away and I'm home alone on a Saturday night feeling sorry for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Who was it that said, "You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog"....Truman?
Actually that's great advice. I meet and socialize with a lot of people just by walking my dog. Of course it helps that she's the prettiest dog in the world.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually that's great advice. I meet and socialize with a lot of people just by walking my dog. Of course it helps that she's the prettiest dog in the world.
CAVA1990. We finally agree on something. No, not that your dog is the prettiest dog in the world, but that walking a dog helps with a lot of life's ills.

This is what I often recommend to people who ask:

Q: I am single. I have no friends. A: Get a dog! You won't be lonely and you'll make friends while walking dogs together.

Q: My wife and I are childless and are bored. A: Get a dog! It's a great preparation for raising kids later. Save the electric collar just in case you do decide to have children.

Q: My kids have too much energy and nothing to do. A: Get a dog! Kids and dogs wear each other out and sleep soundly afterward.

Q: My family and I have a dog that is destructive and has separation anxiety. A: Get a dog! A second dog (preferably of opposite sex) keeps company for the first one and makes it calmer. It also forces the original dog to compete for affection by behaving better.

Q: My family and I have two dogs and the dogs will only play with each other and not with the rest of the family. A: Get a dog! A third dog changes the dynamic and introduces more competition for human affection as well as alters the pair bonding dynamic of the original pair.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,212 times
Default me to!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melabell View Post
Bass101 - I was just complaining to my husband about the EXACT SAME THING. We have lived here for almost four years. I feel so lonely sometimes. I don't need a large social circle. For my personality type, one or two close friends is much better than a large group of casual friends. I am so frustrated. The other ladies I encounter all seem to have their little groups. Ugh!

My fiance and I moved here a little over two years ago and are having the hardest time making close friends. I am more of a couple close friends kind of girl. I have tried meetup and even did team in training, but nothing lasting had stuck yet. It seems like a lot of people go to those with a friend, and then I just have a hard time breaking through. I truly need to find someone like me that has no other friends because I am just looking for a "bestie" and not a big crazy group. I have some work friends, but it is not the same and they all have their own friends outside of work.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Get a dog.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,390 times
hey My hubby and I live in the Nova Area. We are in our 30'S well i am 28 and he is 31. We would to to meet new friends. /we dont really have many friends. ANYthing my fb is VikitaJohnsen add me!!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
Good question, especially for people like me who don't drink, and so bars become nothing more than standing around in a crowded room.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:26 PM

814 posts, read 910,931 times
Well first you have to learn to be a pretentious jackass, you must drive a European car or a Prius, better have graduated from the right school, and finally make sure that you work at least 75 hours a week or you're just not going to fit in.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Well first you have to learn to be a pretentious jackass, you must drive a European car or a Prius, better have graduated from the right school, and finally make sure that you work at least 75 hours a week or you're just not going to fit in.
A Prius? We're not San Francisco.... Sorry.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:23 PM

814 posts, read 910,931 times
Subaru, Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz, BMW, have seen a couple Ferraris, the only people that buy American are law enforcement and fed, and those are usually Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, Impala, or Dodge Charger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia