Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:19 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times

Advertisements

And who do you spend most of your time with? Friends, family, coworkers, church members, members of a group?

Also, are you insular? Have you already made a set of friends (or spend time with family) that you don't have time for new friends.

I'm leaving my opinions out for now, because I don't want to direct people's answers. I'm just very curious as to what's going on with folks around here. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I don't do well with people so my wife ties a pork chop to my neck so the dogs will play with me.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:42 PM

170 posts, read 583,043 times
You should update your resume and start distributing it around more.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
You should update your resume and start distributing it around more.
??

Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Try putting a sign in your car window: "Hi, I'm looking for new friends. Let's ditch this traffic and meet at Dogfish Head Tavern!"

ps. Just in case you want a serious answer, the classics still apply. Check out a few meet-up groups until you find one with people you'd like to have as friends. Join a choir, a band, a small theater group, a political cause, and environmental group, etc. (just make sure you join a group that is getting together to create something, that's how you have real interaction). Read On-Tap Online, they have all sorts of listings for singles mixers and events. Go to Chamber of Commerce mixers and become active with a few events.

Join singles groups at a church, go to a bible study, join the choir. If you want to meet parents, visit with the people near the bus stop when the kids are dropped off for school. Find a comfortable tavern or sports bar and hang out there on a regular basis. Go to your gym at the same time every day and say hello to the other regulars. Go to meetings. Take classes. Volunteer. Etc.

Volunteering, joining a book club, and joining toastmasters was how I hooked in with my first friends here. Then I moved into a neighborhood that I chose because we saw people hang out on the streets watching the kids play. If you volunteer, you have to actually become active, not just sit on the fringes,and not just attend one meeting.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-11-2010 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Trying to keep misinterpretations down. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Also, are you insular? Have you already made a set of friends (or spend time with family) that you don't have time for new friends.
That's my situation. Now that I've been here a few years I have way too many friends. Way too many activities as it is. So, as much as I'd like to meet new people I haven't any more time. Fortunately, the DC metro area has lots of people moving in all the time who DO have more time to make friends. Check out how many meet-up groups there are near here. Most of those people are looking for friends.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That's my situation. Now that I've been here a few years I have way too many friends. Way too many activities as it is. So, as much as I'd like to meet new people I haven't any more time. Fortunately, the DC metro area has lots of people moving in all the time who DO have more time to make friends. Check out how many meet-up groups there are near here. Most of those people are looking for friends.
Thank you. After five responses, someone addresses the OP. I'm not looking for advice or clever jokes, just wonder what's going on around here.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you. After five responses, someone addresses the OP. I'm not looking for advice or clever jokes, just wonder what's going on around here.
Sorry, FG. You're usually such a jokester that I guess we just figured you were kidding around. We've had a bunch of threads listing specific groups to join--if I get a chance later I'll see if I can find some of those suggestions and repost them. I think you'll also find this subject addressed in the General Pointers sticky.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Sorry, FG. You're usually such a jokester that I guess we just figured you were kidding around. We've had a bunch of threads listing specific groups to join--if I get a chance later I'll see if I can find some of those suggestions and repost them. I think you'll also find this subject addressed in the General Pointers sticky.
I don't know how else to say it. I'm not asking about groups to join. I'm trying to figure out people's situations. You don't have to be specific. I just don't understand what's going on with folks.

Here it is again.

"How do you make friends in NOVA? And who do you spend most of your time with? Friends, family, coworkers, church members, members of a group?

Also, are you insular? Have you already made a set of friends (or spend time with family) that you don't have time for new friends."

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I don't know how else to say it. I'm not asking about groups to join. I'm trying to figure out people's situations. You don't have to be specific. I just don't understand what's going on with folks.
So this isn't about finding friends for yourself, this is about asking other people if they have friends? To be honest, this sounds a bit too personal. LOL, I'm sure you mean well (and don't take this the wrong way), but usually when someone starts asking questions about my friends, it turns out they're an Amway salesman and they want to sell me something (or they want me to sell something to my friends).

However, since I'm not prone to sales pitches I guess I can answer your question--I have lots of friends, more than I can really spend time with right now. I have lots of friends because I've lived here for a while and I do a lot of activities. I've met them from a variety of places, and people tend to introduce you to their other friends, so the circle is always growing. Lately I'm declining opportunities to meet new people. It has nothing to do with not liking them--I just don't have time for any more new friends.

Last edited by normie; 10-11-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia