Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 11:04 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehomelessobama View Post
On the Unemployment website it states EB effective date as 12/12/2010
But no amounts, claim still reads exhausted.
I don't know what I'm going to do.
Bear in mind, I had that exhausted status and zero balance after getting approved for EB also, so don't get too worked up yet. It looks like they just approved you for EB. I would just call and say that you noticed you were just approved for EB and are wondering what the status is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM

I can confirm once again that my eligibility review appt is listed as "satisfied" or "conducted". I actually confirmed it twice today with two different reps. I told the last one to please view my account to check and see what it says for my appt. And she said, "Oh, I see you went to the appointment on the 17th." And I told her, "No...today's the 16th, my appt hasn't happened yet." She said, "Oh, well, that's weird...it's saying the appt was already conducted, so no, you don't have to attend."

She went on to say that my next review appt is in February. I was like, "HUH? How many weeks of benefits do I have remaining?!" She says, "3". So, I told her I guess I won't be showing up for my February appt then.

Nicolette, were you affected by that overpayment mess? I'm thinking maybe these pre-conducted reviews are just random...or they're given to the ones affected by the OP mess, like myself.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 PM

108 posts, read 160,666 times
Bill passed the congress. My Tier 1 benefits just ended last week and I went in this week to apply for EB since the bill had not passed yet. Should have gone in the week before but I thought I had one more week left. No check this week. Got approval letter today for 20 weeks of EB. But I assume that once the ESC gets caught up with the bill passing that I will be put into Tier 2 to finish out my 1st benefit year that ends Jan 8, 2011. May have to stay on EB for a week or two. Wonder if they will call me in for review if only on EB for 1/2 weeks?

Also it will be interesting to see how my 2nd benefit year plays out. Will I get approved for a 2nd benefit year, or will they do a pull forward from what is left from the 1st year? Not sure how this works. But with a pull forward I should have most if not all of Tier 2, all of Tier 3 and 4, and most of EB left to pull forward. Would I be better off with a new benefit year or a pull forward for year 2?

Sorry. Just random thoughts and questions.

But the bill passes! Obama to sign it into law today.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 11,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Bear in mind, I had that exhausted status and zero balance after getting approved for EB also, so don't get too worked up yet. It looks like they just approved you for EB. I would just call and say that you noticed you were just approved for EB and are wondering what the status is.
Well, local ESC office said today that I had collected everything I could collect! No EB for me, and the new bill isn't for me she said.
Oh well.
Good Luck the rest of you and thanks for all your help!
Guess I'll be in the welfare line now

Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehomelessobama View Post
Well, local ESC office said today that I had collected everything I could collect! No EB for me, and the new bill isn't for me she said.
Oh well.
Good Luck the rest of you and thanks for all your help!
Guess I'll be in the welfare line now
Sounds like they approved you for EB, but there was nothing left for you to draw. Which I guess means you had gotten EB at some point. Sorry to hear that.

Many of us have put calls down there and have been given incorrect information, so I would always recommend calling again to get a second set of eyes on your claim to confirm. But other than that...that may be it for you.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Sounds like they approved you for EB, but there was nothing left for you to draw. Which I guess means you had gotten EB at some point. Sorry to hear that.

Many of us have put calls down there and have been given incorrect information, so I would always recommend calling again to get a second set of eyes on your claim to confirm. But other than that...that may be it for you.
Read this, it's quoted from the whitehouse website.....

"Q The President said Republican leaders in the Senate were advancing the misguided notion that the unemployment benefits discourage people from looking for a job, but the Republican leaders from Mitch McConnell on down have said that they are in favor of extending unemployment benefits but that they want the cost of that extension to be paid for with cuts to other programs. What’s wrong with that?
MR. GIBBS: In a time of great economic emergency, as we have seen in the past, it’s necessary that we get the benefits that millions of Americans deserve that are out of work. We can't -- you heard the stories today of people that are going to have to figure out how to pay their mortgage in August when their benefits expire.
Now, I don't think that individual or any individual wants to watch while Washington does its normal back-and-forth, right? I don't -- I think you could look at the voting records of every one of those that just made the same statement that you read to me that in the past have done directly the opposite.
We are in an economic emergency that we have not seen since the late 1920s and the early 1930s. We ought not be playing politics with the unemployment benefits of those that have lost their jobs and are in an economy where there are five job applicants for every opening.
Q But couldn’t Democrats have solved this instantly by simply saying, we're going to extend unemployment benefits and we’re going to pay for it with offsetting cuts?
MR. GIBBS: We could have done this -- we could have done this if the people that were playing games in 2010, despite their voting records in years past, decided not to play political games.
Jonathan, the people in America that have lost their jobs are tired of the back-and-forth where people say one thing one day and do something totally different today. We have voted three times -- and tomorrow we will vote a fourth -- to simply extend the benefits for those that are unemployed for a long term, simply to extend them a few more weeks. That's what the American people deserve.
Q But “pay as you go†is the very principle the President has put forward himself. They're saying that now because of big deficits we need to pay our way.
MR. GIBBS: And I think this President has backed up that rhetoric by introducing a three-year ban -- or a three-year freeze on non-security spending. But there are certain things that are and always have been considered emergency spending, and extending unemployment benefits to those who have lost their jobs in the worst economic recession since the Great Depression certainly qualifies for that.
Q And let me just ask you one other thing on this. The so called “99ers,†people who have been unemployed for 99 weeks or more, their benefits are not going to be extended under this. Is the President aware of their plight? And does the President favor doing something to help them out?
MR. GIBBS: Obviously, we are aware of and concerned about. I think, first and foremost, Jonathan, we’ve got to figure out how to get those that are currently unemployed to a position where they can even get close to being covered for that long. I think it is safe to assume that based on the games are going up on Capitol Hill, we are not at this point going to see an increase in extending those 99 weeks. And our focus right now is getting those individuals to that level.
Right now if you’re now on -- you could be somebody who is in the 25th of their 26 weeks of state unemployment who finds themselves about to be left hung out to dry by the political games in this town. So our focus is on extending what we currently have.
Q So you say that we ought not to be playing politics, and yet it seems that the President himself was suggesting that the Republicans were playing politics. He said, it was time to look past the election out there this morning. And yet when everybody knows this is going to pass tomorrow, how can you say that the President is not indulging in a little politics?
MR. GIBBS: Because, Bill, if I would have stopped you six months ago or six weeks ago, as I said earlier, and said, do you think it will take four chances to simply pass the type of unemployment extensions that you’ve covered in this town for decades, I doubt you would have said, yes. But, surprisingly to everyone in this town, political games have come even to extending unemployment benefits to those that through no fault of their own find themselves unemployed in this economy.
The President will ensure that when the Senate votes that we have 60 votes and, as I said, when this bill goes back to the House, that the votes are there to extend employment, Bill.
Q But it’s not political to talk about it for the last four days knowing that you’re going to get it anyway?
MR. GIBBS: Let me tell you, if there’s anything that's truly knowable in this town, it is that nothing is truly knowable. I will be happy to put the President out each and every day to talk about the fights that he’s going to wage on behalf of those in this economy.
Q Well, bring him out. We’d love to --
MR. GIBBS: I think you saw him today."
Guess that gives us 99er's our answer, we are on the back burner

Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 PM

22 posts, read 68,271 times
Has congress passed law yet?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Yes, if your not a 99er

Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace24 View Post
Has congress passed law yet?
It is officially passed. For those awaiting a bump to the next tier of EUC...it may take a week or two for the NCESC to get everybody squared away and up to date. They're notorious for taking their time with their 1970's era system.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 PM

22 posts, read 68,271 times
Quote:
It is officially passed. For those awaiting a bump to the next tier of EUC...it may take a week or two for the NCESC to get everybody squared away and up to date. They're notorious for taking their time with their 1970's era system.
Ah awesome! Just the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina