Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 PM

92 posts, read 94,050 times

Advertisements

The goverment of NC IS really putting the hurt on its own citizens No 1. The bill that allowed the EB WAS PASSED in early December by a formula for all states by the United States of America. No. 2 Now that North Carolina has to do a little homework to make this happen again they must adjust there formula and nobody wants to work to make this happen. I would say to all North Carolina Citizens. FIRE THEM!!!! AND START TO LOOK FOR A DIFFERENT PARTY FOR THE NEXT ELECTION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM

249 posts, read 305,478 times
So according to this story she came to the GOP yesterday asking them to push through a clean bill and they won't because they want her to compromise in some way... we have some really hard headed leaders in this state right now. I think I'm going to send Webster's definition of Diplomacy to everyone involved:
[SIZE=4]di·plo·ma·cy[/SIZE]

[dih-ploh-muh-see] Show IPA
–noun 1. the conduct by government officials of negotiations and other relations between nations.

2. the art or science of conducting such negotiations.

3. skill in managing negotiations, handling people, etc., so that there is little or no ill will; tact: Seating one's dinner guests often calls for considerable diplomacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post

Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 PM

92 posts, read 94,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg69innc View Post
It is encouraging to see folks that can attempt to make a difference try to make a difference.
The goverment of NC IS really putting the hurt on its own citizens No 1. The bill that allowed the EB WAS PASSED in early December by a formula for all states by the United States of America. No. 2 Now that North Carolina has to do a little homework to make this happen again they must adjust there formula and nobody wants to work to make this happen. I would say to all North Carolina Citizens. FIRE THEM!!!! AND START TO LOOK FOR A DIFFERENT PARTY FOR THE NEXT ELECTION.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 PM

249 posts, read 305,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Seems to me what you all have here is the situation Obama faced at the end of 2010 with the extension of unemployment benefits. GOP said extend tax cuts for the rich and we'll give you unemployment benefits. He was blackmailed the same way your governor is being blackmailed.

Obama, being a pragmatist and weak (not that the terms are synonymous), has permanently lost a lot of political support from his base for doing that, but the benefits are here for us this year. The law clerks even knew enough to change the lookback. Gave the states the tools they need.

So, your GOP is saying cut the budget and we'll give you unemployment benefits. Perdue, for whatever reason, refuses to give in to this blackmail - and that is what it is - blackmail. There is no fiscal reason for the State of North Carolina not to extend the benefits from what I've been reading here - except the GOP is wielding its power.

I am curious - a question for those who think Perdue is to blame in this. Should she be caving to the GOP demands. Are the GOP demands legitimate and/or insignificant enough to compromise on? And what do they have to do with unemployment benefits? Just asking.

Anyone asked the GOP exactly what is on her desk that is any different than what they've proposed up to this point?
The GOP is asking her to give them some sort of movement to compromise, not necessarily succumbing to their initial proposal of a 13% cut to her budget. She needs to make a move, even if it's just an inch in their direction to get things moving again. Diplomacy and negotation are key and neither side is budging which is causing great harm to their constituents.

Someone needs to make the first step to meet somewhere in the middle because this standoff is going to cause more harm to even more people.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 PM

264 posts, read 313,586 times
I cannot help but wonder what they really think about us. I must admit, I've never felt more labeled in my life and I've been through some pretty tough stuff. Being "long-term unemployed" or a "99er) and begging our government for help as I hear whispers from people I voted for say enough is enough- they're lazy, they wont take a job beneath them or they are just going to have to realize that what they had was gone and get their hands dirty. I have no problem with getting my hands dirty- employers do not want you if they think you'll leave them at the first sign of something in your field.

I feel as though I have literally had to beg Gov Perdue and the NC Legislators to please just release the extended funds or just give some really good reasons why you are toying the these people's lives and their children. A day can make a big difference to a lot of us.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,779 times
You would think since she is a Democrat she would be shouting this from the roof tops. Wasn't it the deal to keep the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy that they would extend unemployment benefits for the unemployed. I don't see the tax cuts for the wealthy going away!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM

25 posts, read 29,918 times
i promise to vote on whoever runs against her.....and ill get all i can to follow suit and vote too.....

Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Govenor Bev Perdue and NC GA:

We hope you are having a wonderful weekend; comfortable, entertained and relaxed. You are welcome.

There are quite a few long term unemployed (99ers) that are hungry and/or without electrcity tonight. Thank you. Our families thank you too, especially the children.

At your earliest convienence, please, consider the plight of your consitutents. I'm sure your speedy action or lack thereof on the matter of extended unemployment benefits will not be soon forgotten.

Last edited by soleprovider51; 05-13-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 PM

162 posts, read 193,806 times
I don't understand when Thom Tillis talks about it's Perdue's fault and she is the one holding us hostage so to speak. Why won't someone ask him if he cares about us, why he won't vote on a standalone bill. How can we wait until July? I keep saying it, but I want someone to ask him the hard questions and make him answer.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm sure there are many reasons. I have tried to remove those thoughts from my mind now that I know that the only hold up is them using us as their ace in the hole to fight over the budget.

I have to work and feel productive so I'm focusing my efforts on 1) looking for work and being as aggressive, yet tactful in my networking; 2) trying to make the public and our lawmakers aware of who we are; and 3) try to learn how to unwind and step away for a couple hours or a day to re-energize.

We need a face and a voice. If we were on the other side, I hope that I would take the time to understand and learn more about who the long-term unemp are instead of making assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1girl View Post
I don't understand when Thom Tillis talks about it's Perdue's fault and she is the one holding us hostage so to speak. Why won't someone ask him if he cares about us, why he won't vote on a standalone bill. How can we wait until July? I keep saying it, but I want someone to ask him the hard questions and make him answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina