Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 07:15 PM

407 posts, read 660,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU_madman View Post
What are you guys going to do about these overpayments? Go to the NC ESC on Monday? File an appeal or file a waiver of overpayment? I was thinking of sending an email of appeal, then I can always withdraw my appeal if things get settled out before then. I am trying to avoid going to the NC ESC office like no other.. maybe even wait to see if anyone actually gets more info about this and posts here....or wait for ESC to say "we overpaid you 14k, we want that back, but we are going to pay you $14k from EB" I don't think ESC will figure this out by Oct 8th (deadline for appeal)... so maybe a quick email will suffice for now..
TO BE HONEST, i dont see much point in filing an appeal, i mean LEGALLY SPEAKING, NC did in fact pay 2nd year claims that they shouldnt have! YES it was NC's fault, NOT OURS, but i dont see them just saying OK KEEP THE $$$$. so i dont see much point in filing an appeal
AND many of us, will come out AHEAD this way--- me for instance, as stated, would have run out of tier 4 in 7 weeks, THIS WAY once they swap out the weeks (ASSUMING I AM RIGHT) i will end up with 13 weeks of eb left, so i get 5 extra weeks of payments

I MIGHT ask about a waiver form for the $91 i should still owe once they swap out weeks, but again, i dont expect it to be approved, b/c 1. NC is in a bad place budget wise, and 2. legally the $ is in fact owed back to NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 PM

407 posts, read 660,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
It's difficult to say without more info. Is the 24 weeks you have rec'd Regular Unemployment? If so, did your eligibility letter that you rec'd initially state that you were eligible for 26 weeks? If so & this is your first year, then you may soon get a letter directing you to report for a review OR, if you certify each week, every so often they have an additional set of questions for you to answer. Based on your answers they will issue a letter which gives an eligibility determination. You will probably roll into the next level, which, if you are indeed in your 1st benefit yr. & have been getting Regular Unemployment), would be Tier 1. As for going into the office, they basically want to see your work search records & although I took mine in several times, other times they asked me to fax them, so they may allow that. I always took mine in b/c I wanted to make sure someone actually got them.

My benefits exhausted long ago & it's been a while since I was in your position, so I hope my memory is correct. We used to have an ESC rep who checked in every night and answered questions, but after 14 months of handling claims every day & then here at night, he has "resigned" from this thread. KC & some other members here will probably check my response & correct me if I've inadvertently forgotten something....KC?
I CANT SPEAK FOR ALL< but EVERYTIME i have been close to the end of regular unemployment or the end of a tier, I too got the message--- BUT it automatically rolled me over into the next tier with no work on my part--- the next week it just let me file again for the next tier

Old 09-26-2010, 07:19 PM

330 posts, read 460,836 times
got a 3rd letter for these final 4 weeks just passed, $44, which is exactly what i would expect. so 2 of the 3 letters are exactly what i would expect, wanting $11/week back. the first letter is the odd one out, asking for the equivalent of $21/week. someone is going to have to explain that one to me.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
TO BE HONEST, i dont see much point in filing an appeal, i mean LEGALLY SPEAKING, NC did in fact pay 2nd year claims that they shouldnt have! YES it was NC's fault, NOT OURS, but i dont see them just saying OK KEEP THE $$$$. so i dont see much point in filing an appeal
AND many of us, will come out AHEAD this way--- me for instance, as stated, would have run out of tier 4 in 7 weeks, THIS WAY once they swap out the weeks (ASSUMING I AM RIGHT) i will end up with 13 weeks of eb left, so i get 5 extra weeks of payments

I MIGHT ask about a waiver form for the $91 i should still owe once they swap out weeks, but again, i dont expect it to be approved, b/c 1. NC is in a bad place budget wise, and 2. legally the $ is in fact owed back to NC
i dont know that i would take that route.
the letters say they can take up to 50% of your weekly benefit away to pay off the the overpayment. are there weeks of payments to "swap out"? in most cases. but, if it takes them time to make all that happen, you risk getting half unemployment checks in the meantime. and who says the ESC is going to be efficient and commonsensical with all this, anyway?
KC is wondering if theres a conflict with the appeal and her EB, and would the appeal put a hold on ANY benefit money until the appeal is heard and determined. that would be a question to ask a rep. i think we can assure the ESC, that if 40,000 do the waiver(an appeal), and they hold 40,000 accounts, thats only going to make everything even more pressure packed for all parties.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:46 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
It's difficult to say without more info. Is the 24 weeks you have rec'd Regular Unemployment? If so, did your eligibility letter that you rec'd initially state that you were eligible for 26 weeks? If so & this is your first year, then you may soon get a letter directing you to report for a review OR, if you certify each week, every so often they have an additional set of questions for you to answer. Based on your answers they will issue a letter which gives an eligibility determination. You will probably roll into the next level, which, if you are indeed in your 1st benefit yr. & have been getting Regular Unemployment), would be Tier 1. As for going into the office, they basically want to see your work search records & although I took mine in several times, other times they asked me to fax them, so they may allow that. I always took mine in b/c I wanted to make sure someone actually got them.

My benefits exhausted long ago & it's been a while since I was in your position, so I hope my memory is correct. We used to have an ESC rep who checked in every night and answered questions, but after 14 months of handling claims every day & then here at night, he has "resigned" from this thread. KC & some other members here will probably check my response & correct me if I've inadvertently forgotten something....KC?
Hi!
It all sounds right, except, she won't need to go in for a benefit review withher records until if and when she reaches her EB and if she qualifies for tiers that would come next, as it sounds like she's on the last 2 weeks of her first year with 26 weeks of UI...?
So assuming she gets euc, she'll probably get a letter soon., in the next week or so and roll into tier 1, then 2, 3 and 4.. or maybe have to go into EB when this whole thing is over possibly on Nov 27th???

Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Hi!
It all sounds right, except, she won't need to go in for a benefit review withher records until if and when she reaches her EB and if she qualifies for tiers that would come next, as it sounds like she's on the last 2 weeks of her first year with 26 weeks of UI...?
So assuming she gets euc, she'll probably get a letter soon., in the next week or so and roll into tier 1, then 2, 3 and 4.. or maybe have to go into EB when this whole thing is over possibly on Nov 27th???
yeah, whats the story with that? if you were to be laid off for the first time 16 weeks ago, would you really be out of luck with EUC entirely once Nov 27 comes around?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
i dont know that i would take that route.
the letters say they can take up to 50% of your weekly benefit away to pay off the the overpayment. are there weeks of payments to "swap out"? in most cases. but, if it takes them time to make all that happen, you risk getting half unemployment checks in the meantime. and who says the ESC is going to be efficient and commonsensical with all this, anyway?
KC is wondering if theres a conflict with the appeal and her EB, and would the appeal put a hold on ANY benefit money until the appeal is heard and determined. that would be a question to ask a rep. i think we can assure the ESC, that if 40,000 do the waiver(an appeal), and they hold 40,000 accounts, thats only going to make everything even more pressure packed for all parties.
I'll find out tomorrow if it will affect my weekly flow of benefits OR recieving EB.. if it does, then they can deduct the $120.00 I owe
(so far) if not, I may file the waiver, I'm still very untrusting of that scenario.
Still checking the benefits paid page first thing tomorrow morning....

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,958 times
First thank you guys so much for your help. here is some extra info.

I was approved for Unemployment Insurance, my benefit year began on 03/28/2010 and it says it will end on 3/26/2011 for 26 weeks.

So from what I am reading on here I should get a letter soon, so I am going to wait yo see what is next.....Will I be have any weeks without payment?? (Just so that I can prepare myself)

I've also received Eligibility Review Notice's that I fill out and mail/fax in about every 3 months
Thanks!!!

Last edited by SHA12; 09-26-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHA12 View Post
First thank you guys so much for your help. here is some extra info.

I was approved for Unemployment Insurance, my benefit year began on 03/28/2010 and it says it will end on 3/26/2011 for 26 weeks.

So from what I am reading on here I should get a letter soon, so I am going to wait yo see what is next.....Will I be have any weeks without payment?? (Just so that I can prepare myself)

I've also received Eligibility Review Notice's that I fill out and mail/fax in about every 3 months
Thanks!!!
as jdljr used to tell us here, IF you have no disqualifications, and get normal, full unemployment, you get 26 weeks of UI,
20 weeks (80% of 26 weeks) of EUC Tier 1
14 weeks (50% of 26 + 1 bonus week) of EUC Tier 2
13 weeks (50% of 26) of EUC Tier 3
6 weeks (25% of 26) of EUC Tier 4
20 weeks of EB (State money)
99 total.
this doesnt ALWAYS happen. your situation may be different.

If youre getting an Eligibility Review Notice every 3 months, thats the one they send out when youre on UI or EUC, and you can ignore it and answer the supplementary questions when they are asked for online when you file online every week. if thats what youre doing.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
yeah, whats the story with that? if you were to be laid off for the first time 16 weeks ago, would you really be out of luck with EUC entirely once Nov 27 comes around?
Sounds that way.
But I can't imagine that it will stick.
I wish I knew what page jdljr talked about all of that on.
Tomorrow after class, I may have to dig back and look through some back pages and write down some notes .
There's alot of info. in this thread, it takes lots of digging and patience.

The time part I have plenty of these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina