Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

Bitty & Beau's coffee announced its 6th location...3rd in Wilmington...it will be in the World Headquarters of nCino, the world leader in Cloud banking at the HQ's building in Mayfaire....

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/02/12/b...gton-location/

nCino continues to grow...started in 2012 and now has 6 offices worldwide, with over 850 employees.

Bitty & Beau's just opened their 4th location, 2nd location in Wilmington at the World HQ's of PPD in Downtown Wilmington...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/photo...110009993/PH/1

PPD has 23,000 employees worldwide and around 2,000 in its HQ building in downtown Wilmington.

Bitty & Beau's success is not the only success in the coffee business in Wilmington, Port City Java now has 22 locations in NC and 1 location in SC, supported by its headquarters on River Rd. They are looking for more franchisee's, specifically in certain markets...

https://www.portcityjavafranchising....ions-available

Old 02-13-2020, 12:21 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
"No one saying driverless vehicles will be perfect. Of course they are not and there will be accidents. But I can't even begin to count how many accidents there are every day with drivers, many resulting in deaths. Driverless vehicles have to begin somewhere and these public shuttles are baby steps until we reach a technological point where every individual has one. The driverless vehicles today are already extremely smart. They implement technology in todays cars like adaptive cruise control with sensors. They have sensors that tell whether a traffic light is green, yellow or red. The current vehicles in place are going no more than about 20 or 30 miles per hour. They detect when a person or object is in front, behind or beside the vehicle. They are very smart and state governments feel they are safe enough to allow cities to put them on the streets."

You point out a major concern: the danger that a standard car or truck could plow into one of these and crush it along with the occupants. From what I've read, these vehicles aren't built with the safety standards that traditional vehicles have to meet.

I agree with you that over time, these hurdles will be overcome, but that is still years away IMO. In the meantime, developmental progress will continue, particularly on the AI portion.

In most cases, this being one, the technology is being developed faster than governments develop regulations to control it.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:31 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Let me make sure that I understand:

I made a benign comment about NCSU having an automated vehicle similar to what Greensboro wants to receive from A&T. They specially asked for two of these vehicles in exchange for the $ 50 k grant. In additional posts, I stated that NCSU recently purchased a similar vehicle from a company who already produces them, the technology is not yet mature enough for mass deployment and the systems in use today are test - pilot programs.

Then, in multiple posts, you question my original post's meaning, my intent, what subliminal message that I am supposedly conveying, and that I am somehow "wrong" in expressing my opinion that the technology is not currently available for these vehicles. You claim to understand my intent by reading my mind etc.

We can disagree without the drama and the insults. Let's move on.
You started out by saying this tech is not allowed to be used in public form. Wrong. It is. With multiple examples being provided to you and even more out there with a simple Google search on the topic.

Now your argument changes to "ok but it's not ready for mass deployment." Which nobody said it was. Just because something isn't ready for mainstream doesn't mean it shouldn't be continually pursued.

You tried using one of the reasons this was stupid was because A&T cannot develop a new system with $50k. Which it's not because again that money is simply a grant for assistance.

None of your arguments along the way backs up any reason to discredit what Greensboro and A&T are going to do anyways. If the city wants to support one of its prized universities even though they might have been able to purchase the tech elsewhere, that's a positive to me.

You don't like it or whatever, fine. No problem. But people with a lot more money, power, and brains then you and I decided it's worth doing. I think they are also smart enough to realize they aren't first and probably aren't doing it best. But it seems like they are going to do it. So good for them.

Maybe A&T and Greensboro will work together to make this an actual permanent and viable transportation option in the future. If so, NCSU and Raleigh should follow suit.

There's no drama or insults I just don't believe what you said your intent was. I can be wrong seeing as I can't in fact read your mind.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
You started out by saying this tech is not allowed to be used in public form. Wrong. It is. With multiple examples being provided to you and even more out there with a simple Google search on the topic.

Now your argument changes to "ok but it's not ready for mass deployment." Which nobody said it was. Just because something isn't ready for mainstream doesn't mean it shouldn't be continually pursued.

You tried using one of the reasons this was stupid was because A&T cannot develop a new system with $50k. Which it's not because again that money is simply a grant for assistance.

None of your arguments along the way backs up any reason to discredit what Greensboro and A&T are going to do anyways. If the city wants to support one of its prized universities even though they might have been able to purchase the tech elsewhere, that's a positive to me.

You don't like it or whatever, fine. No problem. But people with a lot more money, power, and brains then you and I decided it's worth doing. I think they are also smart enough to realize they aren't first and probably aren't doing it best. But it seems like they are going to do it. So good for them.

Maybe A&T and Greensboro will work together to make this an actual permanent and viable transportation option in the future. If so, NCSU and Raleigh should follow suit.

There's no drama or insults I just don't believe what you said your intent was. I can be wrong seeing as I can't in fact read your mind.
Ever since I made my original comment: "NCSU already has this" , you came out swinging hard, questioning me and trolling me in several follow up posts. It made no difference what I said, you attacked me. Go back and read your posts; please don't attempt to shift the blame to me. I consistently maintained that the technology is not mature enough for anything but pilot trials and that's 100% correct. That's true for NCSU, A&T or Greensboro.

Sorry that I angered you so; it was never my intent.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Ever since I made my original comment: "NCSU already has this" , you came out swinging hard, questioning me and trolling me in several follow up posts. It made no difference what I said, you attacked me. Go back and read your posts; please don't attempt to shift the blame to me. I consistently maintained that the technology is not mature enough for anything but pilot trials and that's 100% correct. That's true for NCSU, A&T or Greensboro.

Sorry that I angered you so; it was never my intent.
That's simply delusional. Oops I imagine that will hurt your feelings as well

If someone disagreeing with you or questioning your intent at times makes you take such a pitifully victimized stance, real life has got to be pretty tough. Do you immediately call your best friend a troll, or claim your mate is attacking you because they disagree? What a bundle of joy to be around if so.

If your ultimate point is that the tech isnt very mature. Yeah ok that is correct. I'll still ask you my original question then Mr Raleigh...

So?

Old 02-13-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
That's simply delusional. Oops I imagine that will hurt your feelings as well

If someone disagreeing with you or questioning your intent at times makes you take such a pitifully victimized stance, real life has got to be pretty tough. Do you immediately call your best friend a troll, or claim your mate is attacking you because they disagree? What a bundle of joy to be around if so.

If your ultimate point is that the tech isnt very mature. Yeah ok that is correct. I'll still ask you my original question then Mr Raleigh...

So?
No hidden agenda here. Move on, please. The gsoboi78 person expressed his views, treated me respectfully, and never violated the TOS. We likely had differing opinions, but it was a respectful dialogue. Please quit badgering me.

Unlike real life, posters have to follow the TOS in order to remain on this forum.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No hidden agenda here. Move on, please. The gsoboi78 person expressed his views, treated me respectfully, and never violated the TOS. We likely had differing opinions, but it was a respectful dialogue. Please quit badgering me.

Unlike real life, posters have to follow the TOS in order to remain on this forum.
LOL WUT

Good lord. Well report away then please. And anybody else that has 3rd partied this conversation and felt I was trolling, badgering, insulting, and attacking poor Mr Raleigh

Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Are either of you familiar with the 'Ignore' feature? It's frustrating to regularly see that there are new posts in this thread, only to find pages upon pages of nothing more than arguments and personal insults.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Stonewall Street in Uptown Charlotte. It has a lot of new development on this street and more is coming.

Photo by JKHburg

Old 02-13-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Are either of you familiar with the 'Ignore' feature? It's frustrating to regularly see that there are new posts in this thread, only to find pages upon pages of nothing more than arguments and personal insults.
Well wouldn't that mean you should have used it by now?

I have no problem with Mr Raleigh or what he posts most of the time and can have a simple back and forth with him still relating to the topic. Even if we don't agree or are calling BS. So no need to ignore on my end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina