Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 09:46 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Downtown Greensboro development:

Officials clear way for construction to begin on the 8 story Eugene Street Parking deck. The deck will serve the parking needs for the 9 story Project Slugger office tower under construction and the ballpark across the street as well as the Carroll South of the ballpark development which will include a 9 story Aloft Hotel, 6 story apartments over retail, grocery store and a 20 story office tower to be built around the deck.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/loca...5d7b6de80.html
Not really feeling doing the survey to read the article. When are they set to begin construction?

Old 09-06-2019, 04:58 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
More big donors push Charlotte's public-private campaign for affordable housing past $250M

In less than 18 months, a coalition of nonprofits, local government and businesses has pulled in $250 million worth of grants, land donations and low-cost financing to help solve Charlotte’s affordable housing crisis. The leader of the campaign, Foundation For The Carolinas CEO Michael Marsicano, on Thursday evening disclosed a combined $15 million in commitments to push a pair of housing funds past their target amounts.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline

Old 09-06-2019, 07:10 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Not really feeling doing the survey to read the article. When are they set to begin construction?
They haven't given an exact date but its probably soon within a month. The deck needs to be completed around the time Project Slugger opens. However the article did say it would take up to 18 months to complete which seems odd. Not sure why it would take 18 months to build a basic concrete 8 story parking deck. If it takes 18 months, Project Slugger will be completed before then.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
They haven't given an exact date but its probably soon within a month. The deck needs to be completed around the time Project Slugger opens. However the article did say it would take up to 18 months to complete which seems odd. Not sure why it would take 18 months to build a basic concrete 8 story parking deck. If it takes 18 months, Project Slugger will be completed before then.
They have to allow time for concrete to cure and pour the concrete within certain temperature parameters.

I remember, quite a few years ago, there were problems with a couple of parking decks collapsing in Atlantic City, and when officials checked into the collapses, the decks were rushed and concrete wasn't allowed to cure properly, as well as some concrete was poured at improper temperatures.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:54 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They have to allow time for concrete to cure and pour the concrete within certain temperature parameters.

I remember, quite a few years ago, there were problems with a couple of parking decks collapsing in Atlantic City, and when officials checked into the collapses, the decks were rushed and concrete wasn't allowed to cure properly, as well as some concrete was poured at improper temperatures.
I don't know the specifics about concrete curing time these days, but it seems that Atlanta high rises add more than one floor per week.

I'm sure different kinds of concrete have different curing times. \

When the section of I-85 collapsed in Atlanta a few years ago, they used more expensive concrete that cured super fast.

Most parking decks I see these days are precast members that are brought to the site and assembled quite quickly.

I'm sure some are still all cast in place though.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:26 PM

I drove through Charlotte returning to Atlanta and came from Raleigh via the US64/NC49 route.

I stopped at Golds in Harrisburg for a quick, stress-relieving workout.

I stayed on Tryon all the way to Billy Graham to get back to I-85.

Here are my thoughts that aren't to be interpreted as criticisms:

1) Tryon on the Northside has bad traffic, but some of the feeling may be because it's a narrow roadway.

2) I love the skyline from this viewpoint, even though it's small and I think Charlotte's skyline is intended to be viewed from the Southside looking North.

3)Through the city core there are tons of restaurants and people walking on the street. It is far bigger than Raleigh's main drag, Fayetteville street, which seems like just one block though it is active also.

4) As much as I love trees, I almost think Tryon should remove every other tree to brighten up the street. For all of the tall buildings, you can't really see much and there is almost too much shade on this street. That is just my opinion. It was around 4pm.

5) Staying on Tryon, I then viewed a long continuum or line of new construction apartments on the left side of the road unlike anything I've ever seen. It must follow the light rail line. Charlotte could become the most walkable Southern city from what seemed like thousands and thousands of apartment units.

6)Tryon itself was an unusual experience heading Southward because it seemed very compact with a lot of compact, shotgun, older apartments on the right.

7) By the time I got on Billy Graham, it wasn't what I expected and was all trees. Then a big thunderstorm arrived with ferocious lightning and I couldn't believe a few jets were taking off and flying inevitably into it.

8)All in all, the Tryon experience showed me things I've never seen before. But I am no closer to understanding Charlotte really.
It definitely is creating the most dense urban city experience in the state, but it seems like it's merely all close together and less spread out like the Triangle.

9)The Triangle is definitely keeping a lower scale in development all the way out to the exurbs. Wake Forest, NC which is 10 miles from my hometown of Louisburg (still very, country, rural unfortunately), is basically all New Yorkers. The whole town looks eerily like the villages and towns on Long Island now. The strip shops and stores look exactly like what you see up there outside the city. Everyone working in the gyms and health clubs are all from the NE.

10) Even in my rural Franklin County/Louisburg area, New York license plates now outnumber the former 2nd most seen, Virginia plates. I would be at traffic signals in Louisburg, and have Pennsylvania, Florida and NY plates surrounding me, and none was the type a rental car would be, so these weren't airport rental cars.

11) I think Eastern North Carolina has as much growth and activity as West and Charlotte do. The coastal development from the SC line up to Morehead City is staggering, almost no areas not yet developed.

12) The state feels less and less like what I grew up knowing, but that's what happens when the word gets out about what we've known all along.... that NC is just about the best state in the entire country.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
^ Billy Graham is like. Almost unchanged from the 1990’s I think. The newer developments are literally very recent. And it’s like. Maybe 2 or 3. Specifically that’s around where the old Charlotte hornets arena was.

Every time I go there, I was born in ‘92 so I still remember my time being 5 living in that area of Charlotte (specifically Arrowood and my mom worked near there), it feels like 90’s Charlotte.

The rest of the city is unrecognizable though. Center city being the most obvious. Even as recent as 2007 vs. 2019

Old 09-06-2019, 04:38 PM

20 people move to Durham every day.

60 move to Wake County every day.

I didn't know about Durham's daily numbers.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...234688732.html

Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
From Wake County Govt.

People & Places

Old 09-07-2019, 02:17 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
From Wake County Govt.

People & Places
This is great information!

So to summarize, on average:

--34 people are born in Wake each day and 12 die each day for a net of 22 new people due to natural increase.

--188 people move into Wake County each day and 148 people move out of Wake County each day for a net of 40 migrants per day into Wake County.

Of that net of 40, on average

22.5% (9) are from NC
12.5% (5) are from NY
7.5% (3) are from NJ
5.0% (2) are from PA
5.0% (2) are from OH
2.5% (1) are from VA
2.5% (1) are from SC
2.5% (1) are from GA
2.5% (1) are from FL
2.5% (1) are from MA
2.5% (1) are from CT
2.5% (1) are from IL
2.5% (1) are from MI
2.5% (1) are from CA
2.5% (1) are from elsewhere in US
7.5% (3) are from Asia
5.0% (2) are from Africa
5.0% (2) are from Central America
5.0% (2) are from Europe

There is more interesting info. in there like race of new residents, age of new residents, towns they move to, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina