Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 02:09 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Gotta figure that the Charlotte metro is just hovering over 2 million people. For Major League Baseball that's considered a small market team. Many of those areas are also more urbanized and have a high population density except for a few of those cities. Its the reason why Los Angeles has two NBA teams or Chicago has two Major League Baseball teams. In North Carolina population is more spread out which is typically for southern cities/metros except for places like Atlanta or Miami.
Actually it's way over 2million with an msa over 2.5 million and a csa over 2.7 million.. Most of the teams are between 2.5 and 3.5 million...

Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascardrag View Post
It's too bad it was too politically incorrect at the time because of 9-11, but the name the "Charlotte Flight" would have been the best NBA team name of all time
That was the best of 3 terrible choices if I recall. I don’t even really understand it. Because it’s a hub city?

Old 12-06-2019, 02:20 PM

No need to be arrogant about being from NC. Vale of humility between mountains of conceit and all that jazz.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:36 PM

It used to be worse. My mom moved to LA in the 70s, and her high school teacher used to whistle the Andy Griffith tune whenever she had to go to the board. Nowadays half of Pittsburgh lives here. Air conditioning has really spread the cross-pollination of the regions. Everyone has family or friends somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:40 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/what-a...-mls/18814398/

Interesting brief article. Malik will still be shooting for an MLS team as the league continues to expand. His relationship with Garber is encouraging as well. The idea of a potential interstate rivalry is a fun one.
To be honest, I think Raleigh should now focus on MLB. Charlotte's MLS team (still pending) probably killed our city's chances at an MLB expansion/relocation. The Triangle is now the largest metro in the southeast (population, TV, and GDP) that has only 1 pro team. It's also the fastest growing with only 1 pro team.

From the start, I believed that Charlotte was a better fit for MLB and the MLS should go to Raleigh. Obviously, it's now time to reverse that thinking.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:42 PM

I mean MLS is not immune to cross-state rivalries (we would be a more populous version of the Ohio cities). But certainly calling up the Rays owner now in preparation for 2028 isn’t the worst idea.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:54 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I mean MLS is not immune to cross-state rivalries (we would be a more populous version of the Ohio cities). But certainly calling up the Rays owner now in preparation for 2028 isn’t the worst idea.
Montreal will get that team (and probably sooner than 2028 after the lawsuits are filed). Expansion to 32 teams could be the Triangle's best shot. Since Charlotte is a bit saturated, now would be the time to start planning.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Montreal will get that team (and probably sooner than 2028 after the lawsuits are filed). Expansion to 32 teams could be the Triangle's best shot. Since Charlotte is a bit saturated, now would be the time to start planning.
I think that mayor will hold firm. And that owner will open up talks with all comers. Montreal’s bid for half the team might give them a leg up, but doesn’t seem determinate a decade out.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:41 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
To be honest, I think Raleigh should now focus on MLB. Charlotte's MLS team (still pending) probably killed our city's chances at an MLB expansion/relocation. The Triangle is now the largest metro in the southeast (population, TV, and GDP) that has only 1 pro team. It's also the fastest growing with only 1 pro team.

From the start, I believed that Charlotte was a better fit for MLB and the MLS should go to Raleigh. Obviously, it's now time to reverse that thinking.
The largest CMSAs in the southeast without any major league team are the Hampton Roads area in Virginia and the Triad. Major league Soccer was the Triad's last hope for securing a major league sports team. There was a brief effort by Winston-Salem to build a Major League Soccer stadium downtown then a concept plan for one between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. But it looks like that's not going to happen now. Major League Baseball in the Triad is out of the question for a number of reasons and now that the minor league stadiums in the Triad's downtowns are attracting development, I wouldn't want Major League Baseball now. The interest for Major League Baseball in the Triad in the late 90s was a ploy for the Minnesota Twins to get a new stadium.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:

Oh believe there is already a lot of hype and focus that has been shifting towards MLB for the Triangle. Problem is that it's all grassroots right now. MLS made so much sense because the league is actively expanding and we actually had a major player in Malik that was/is doing everything he can to make it happen. He has a plan and the connections to do it. It won't be happening with these immediate expansions but I still think that MLS will be the best chance at another pro team in the next decade for this area.

There isn't anybody with the interest and money currently waving their arms to attract MLB for the Triangle. Not that that couldn't change at any time. But then what are the actual plans for MLB expanding or teams moving? Everyone talks about it, but how realistic is it? Will it happen in the next decade? It's just not as clear cut as MLS has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina