Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2019, 07:46 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
South Park, Charlotte, is looking good. Not as tall as Midtown but tight.
https://photos.clearskyimages.com/20...-hli/hdd9e8965

Charlotte will not have multiple skylines like Atlanta. Raleigh probably will with “midtown.” If midtown doesn’t already have south park beat, it will and the Gap will widen. South Park can only build in the remaining parking lots and is hemmed in my historical neighborhoods with no interstate access.

https://photos.clearskyimages.com/20...-pln?fpciidx=3
^ Durham looks like the clear #3 downtown area of NC

^ Raleigh not looking like a slouch
Charlotte will definitely have multiple skylines, but they won't be arranged like Atlanta's. SouthEnd is already sprouting its own skyline and I can easily see University and Ballantyne having their own true skylines. I wouldn't be surprised to see Northlake with one also, not to mention Fort Mill right across the border.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte will definitely have multiple skylines, but they won't be arranged like Atlanta's. SouthEnd is already sprouting its own skyline and I can easily see University and Ballantyne having their own true skylines. I wouldn't be surprised to see Northlake with one also, not to mention Fort Mill right across the border.
I don’t really see SouthEnd as ever being a separate skyline. Just an extension of uptown. It’s much more integrated than the western part of uptown is to the high rise portion. Train tracks cut all that off. The bridges over 277 are more ped. Friendly, integrated, etc.

I see Ballantyne as having a few tall buildings. An office park with a few tall buildings sprinkled throughout. But I think high rise development will mostly be either immediately uptown, or immediately adjacent. And that’s about it.

I don’t even see Ballantyne getting Reston style development. The bones aren’t there to be anything but the traditional 90’s/2000’s era dev. It’ll just be a disappointing, but prettier and better landscaped, mini version of Tyson’s at very best.

If Southpark had interstate access or highway access and wasn’t hemmed in by established, higher income ‘hoods. It would’ve been a legit skyline and CLT would look very different.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-16-2019 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-16-2019, 09:11 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
I don’t really see SouthEnd as ever being a separate skyline. Just an extension of uptown. It’s much more integrated than the western part of uptown is to the high rise portion. Train tracks cut all that off. The bridges over 277 are more ped. Friendly, integrated, etc.
An extension of Uptown to be sure, but still distinct enough to be its own thing. Anything is possible, but I don't see SouthEnd getting the signature towers that define Uptown like BOA Corporate Center, DEC, Legacy Union, etc. Its skyline will have its own aesthetic as a shorter, more linear "tail" in relation to Uptown.

Quote:
I see Ballantyne as having a few tall buildings. An office park with a few tall buildings sprinkled throughout. But I think high rise development will mostly be either immediately uptown, or immediately adjacent. And that’s about it.

I don’t even see Ballantyne getting Reston style development. The bones aren’t there to be anything but the traditional 90’s/2000’s era dev. It’ll just be a disappointing, but prettier and better landscaped, mini version of Tyson’s at very best.
I can easily see Ballantyne as Charlotte's version of Cumberland in Atlanta. Not a particularly tall skyline (and no MLB stadium), but definitely noticeable height that's visible in the distance on I-485.

Quote:
If Southpark had interstate access or highway access and wasn’t hemmed in by established, higher income ‘hoods. It would’ve been a legit skyline and CLT would look very different.
With that I agree. If light rail ever gets out that way, it could still happen but not to the extent of, say, Buckhead.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
An extension of Uptown to be sure, but still distinct enough to be its own thing. Anything is possible, but I don't see SouthEnd getting the signature towers that define Uptown like BOA Corporate Center, DEC, Legacy Union, etc. Its skyline will have its own aesthetic as a shorter, more linear "tail" in relation to Uptown.

True. I don’t see signature towers. I mean. I guess technically there is the Lowe’s tower but Charlotte has such a tall skyline with multiple signature towers (the new Duke, New BofA Tower, BofA Corp., Wells Fargo jukebox, Hearst Tower), I don’t see anything competing with those in SouthEnd. A 25 floor office Tower here and there.

Quote:

I can easily see Ballantyne as Charlotte's version of Cumberland in Atlanta. Not a particularly tall skyline (and no MLB stadium), but definitely noticeable height that's visible in the distance on I-485.

Not familiar with Cumberland, but a quick google search I could see it.

Quote:

With that I agree. If light rail ever gets out that way, it could still happen but not to the extent of, say, Buckhead

Light rail to South Park is probably a solid 50+ years away at best.

There’s sooo much development opportunities uptown. Including where the new stadium is where there’s just acres of undeveloped fields. Blank fields. The city wants that to be an entertainment district and have that portion of uptown (gateway) integrated into the rest of uptown.

Then you have the rest of the north tryon portion of 1st wars which has so much potential, and 2nd Ward. Uptown has so, so, so, so much room for development opportunities still. I think the city is going to try and focus the resources to be uptown centric with major developments and business centers (copies of Ballantyne) strategically on the outer ring of the city, at the end of planned transit corridors.

Charlotte many decades ago made a plan based on some transit corridors (which doesn’t just mean rail. But all forms of transportation ) that is still part of the long term vision.

^ from the city of Huntersville.

Basically. The plan since like. The 70’s has been to plan for a strong employment core uptown, and smaller employment/residential hubs ringing 485, all connected to uptown, along transit corridors. Charlotte has been very strategic in controlling the growth. I’m surprised how long they hold on to valuable land. The city will city will sit on land for decades before they even toy with the idea of selling it to developers with strings attached. From huge, huge swaths of empty forest to random plots of land in uptown, etc.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:25 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,587 times
Charlotte is now the 30th team in the MLS.

https://charlottemls2021.com/news/

Last edited by CLT1985; 12-17-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-17-2019, 09:59 AM

459 posts, read 374,662 times
Microsoft adding 500 jobs to the Raleigh area.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:59 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,512,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Microsoft adding 500 jobs to the Raleigh area.
Link:
https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/12...e-wage-125000/

Old 12-17-2019, 01:56 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,324,782 times
So Microsoft is receiving $20 million in incentives from NC for ~1,000 new jobs. Interesting.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:40 AM

7,191 posts, read 6,846,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Gov. Cooper has announced that design firm Michael Aram, Inc. will relocate a logistics center to Goldsboro and is expected to create 118 jobs.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/design-...n-wayne-county
City & County Approve Incentives For Company’s New Facility | Goldsboro Daily News

Old 12-18-2019, 09:04 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,965,568 times
Quote:
South Park, Charlotte, is looking good. Not as tall as Midtown but tight.
https://photos.clearskyimages.com/20...-hli/hdd9e8965

Charlotte will not have multiple skylines like Atlanta. Raleigh probably will with “midtown.” If midtown doesn’t already have south park beat, it will and the Gap will widen. South Park can only build in the remaining parking lots and is hemmed in my historical neighborhoods with no interstate access.

^ Durham looks like the clear #3 downtown area of NC

^ Raleigh not looking like a slouch
I’d really like to hear why you think that compared with other cities in the state.

Winston Salem.

Greeensboro.

Asheville.

Durham.

Last edited by YinXyang; 12-18-2019 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.