Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 02:36 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Attachment 212175

https://www.visitdowntownsouth.com/

This would be awesome! With Mr Kane's name attached to this project. I'd say it's in the bag.
That would be transformative! Go Raleigh!

Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No way this happens in Raleigh. Maybe Charlotte? This is wayyyyy to ambitious for Raleigh and should have been in the works years ago. This is exactly what I've been harping on for years. Give us Durham folk a reason to travel to Raleigh other than those tired ass museums.

Fingers crossed but not holding breath.
If the City/County come up with money it's a done deal. Who care if you come over from Durham. Heck go back to Charlotte. I'm pretty sure we'll survive

Let's just think about it like this.

Mr Kane vs Big AH.
Kane says if they get hotel/restaurant tax money everything's a go. Three big time players teaming up. Land already under contract. Plans to involve Wake Tech,maybe some kind of educational facility. On the upcoming BRT line.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/backer...ject/18472568/

Big AH because it's not in Charlotte.

I'll put my money on Mr Kane
I seem to remember way back when you made another prediction. About North Hills,how'd that turn out?

Last edited by Atowwn; 06-25-2019 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
If the City/County come up with money it's a done deal. Who care if you come over from Durham. Heck go back to Charlotte. I'm pretty sure we'll survive

Let's just think about it like this.

Mr Kane vs Big AH.
Kane says if they get hotel/restaurant tax money everything's a go. Three big time players teaming up. Land already under contract. Plans to involve Wake Tech,maybe some kind of educational facility. On the upcoming BRT line.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/backer...ject/18472568/

Big AH because it's not in Charlotte.

I'll put my money on Mr Kane
I seem to remember way back when you made another prediction. About North Hills,how'd that turn out?
Wait....Big Aristotle made a pessimistic prediction about the same NHs that he now fawns over?? No way. Must have been before my time. But it is on brand....

Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Wait....Big Aristotle made a pessimistic prediction about the same NHs that he now fawns over?? No way. Must have been before my time. But it is on brand....
You must go back and read some of the many Raleigh vs Charlotte threads. The entire Charlotte crew used to go in on North Hills. I seem to remember it being called a strip mall or something like that lol. It turned out to be one hell of a strip mall.Now they supposedly love it. I keep up with this thread. I’ve seen the recent comments. Laughable to put it mildly.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
As others have said, the Kane and Malik Downtown South project in Raleigh would be a true game-changer if it is developed in anything close to its proposed form. It would hugely increase the area that can reasonably be called downtown and would give the city its long desired downtown Sports venue.

This combined with the ongoing plans for Dix Park would really let downtown Raleigh step up its weight class.

While not transformational, the proposed changes to Crabtree Valley Mall are also impressive and would let that area stay competitive.

Crazy to have so much exciting development news come out in 24 hours.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
Just what Raleigh needs to enhance downtown. Looks good. I hope it will be done soon.

Charlotte has has a NFL stadium and a BB&T Ball Park and soon a remake of American Legion Memorial.
Stadium in center city. World class soccer has already be played in BOA Stadium, and coming this summer.
So people in Charlotte think this great for Raleigh and hope it will enjoy by everyone in Raleigh

Honeywell next to BOA Stadium

Legacy Union Website

Last edited by CLT1985; 06-25-2019 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
As others have said, the Kane and Malik Downtown South project in Raleigh would be a true game-changer if it is developed in anything close to its proposed form. It would hugely increase the area that can reasonably be called downtown and would give the city its long desired downtown Sports venue.

This combined with the ongoing plans for Dix Park would really let downtown Raleigh step up its weight class.

While not transformational, the proposed changes to Crabtree Valley Mall are also impressive and would let that area stay competitive.

Crazy to have so much exciting development news come out in 24 hours.

Mmm, downtown Raleigh is too fragmented. I dont think this proposed stadium will be all that great as far as activating downtown Raleigh, having too much impact on downtown activity. It’s way better than what is their currently, but “downtown” this is not.

LA Live is in downtown LA and outside of games, it’s kinda. Beyond blah. And that’s LA.i envision any sports complex to be this way.

I’d like to see downtown filled out and whether it’s possible to make Glenwood South feel cohesive with downtown. Greater Downtown Raleigh, to me, feels like pockets or islands of really great areas with the nucleus of a dull downtown. Cameron Village, Glenwood.

On a random separate note. Raleigh has the prettiest airport terminals in the world. IMO.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:44 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but the proposed downtown south site is atleast 3 miles from the actual CBD. Seems to me that this would hurt DTR with easy access to a major freeway similar to North Hills. Also find it amusing that Malik has gone from needing no public money to needing some for infrastructure investment to now wanting almost 300 million dollars

Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
It’s a little over a mile from South Street. 3 miles would get you to Kane’s Smokey Hollow thing which is extending the north end of downtown.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:07 AM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
3 miles north would get you to Wade Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.