Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 10:06 PM

569 posts, read 342,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
So?
My point was that the technology is already available. I don't think that NCSU designed it, but they have it. No need for A&T to design from scratch, since it's not allowed to operate on public streets. Didn't mean to step on your toes fella.

NCSU operates this on their campus only.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
My point was that the technology is already available. I don't think that NCSU designed it, but they have it. No need for A&T to design from scratch, since it's not allowed to operate on public streets. Didn't mean to step on your toes fella.

NCSU operates this on their campus only.
Not that I believe you meant all that by your reply but that wouldn't matter anyways. I'm sure A&T is more then aware that the tech or similar tech for what they are going to do is out there.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Not that I believe you meant all that by your reply but that wouldn't matter anyways. I'm sure A&T is more then aware that the tech or similar tech for what they are going to do is out there.
I am confused. Self driving vehicles are not allowed on public streets anywhere in the USA. Don't know why you are attacking me. Giving $ 50 k to A&T to design and implement two of these vehicles to operate on downtown Greensboro streets is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

NCSU purchased this technology in order to operate two vehicles on their campus.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I am confused. Self driving vehicles are not allowed on public streets anywhere in the USA. Don't know why you are attacking me. Giving $ 50 k to A&T to design and implement two of these vehicles to operate on downtown Greensboro streets is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

NCSU purchased this technology in order to operate two vehicles on their campus.
Attacking you? Bless your heart.

Well I'm sure if you inform them NCSU had it first, A&T will back out of the whole thing in defeat.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:55 PM

6,165 posts, read 7,245,347 times
Quote:

That is incorrect. There are other cities in the. U.S. already operating on city streets. Greensboro will be the first in the state to use them downtown on urban streets. Greensboro didn't want to use existing shuttles made by other companies. This is more about creating a partnership with the city and NC A&T State University and it's a learning experience for the students. Just keeping it local which I think is a better idea for both the city and the university. The state has given money to three universities to help spearhead the future of autonomous vehicles (NC State, NC A&T State and UNC Chapel Hill) which explains why Greensboro is doing this. It also appears as though they will not only operate on downtown streets, they will also operate between Gateway University Research Park and downtown Greensboro.

You are not familiar with the public inner workings of Greensboro. This idea has been in the works since the DGI put together a plan for the next plans for downtown. This is no publicity stunt. Apparently laws recently changed because this is pretty new across the country. NC State only started using them just a few weeks ago.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...outputType=amp

"Nowhere in the United States is it strictly illegal to own or operate a self-driving car. Many states have passed laws regulating or authorizing the use of autonomous vehicles as a way to prepare for the changes that self-driving cars may bring. But no state has outright banned the technology."

Its more accurate to say that no individual citizens are using them in North Carolina and for good reasons. The state is ahead of the technology putting together laws for future private use. But there are no federal bans for public or individual use. States are allowing cities to use them as public transportation where they can be more regulated and so that cities can be more prepared to allow individual citizens to use them one day. There are only a hand full of states that allow cities to operate them like five or so and it appears North Carolina is now one of them. But once again just because something like this is happening in Greensboro, particularly on the heels of Raleigh and before Charlotte, a few want to look at as a joke. Greensboro is just as innovative as any other city and is capable of doing some bold things.

https://www.lifewire.com/are-self-dr...-legal-4587765

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-13-2020 at 12:03 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 01:44 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,966,005 times
Mr. Raliegh, not sure if you know, but N.C. is one of very very few “Green” states.

Last edited by YinXyang; 02-13-2020 at 02:31 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 06:34 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,873,156 times
On the newly re-done Kerr Avenue in Wilmington another large student housing is finishing up...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/photo...213009995/PH/1

The scale of the project along Kerr is uncommon for this area, which is an area of re-development near the Market St intersection. Market St was scheduled to start getting a road diet before the NCDOT slowdown...where the suicide lane in the middle of Market St would be turned into a median...this project is supposed to go from near the Kerr Avenue intersection through Porters Neck...

Porters Neck is getting its first hotel when a 4 story, brick, 103 room Holiday Inn Express opens in late Spring. The hotel is visible from the I-140 intersection with Market St.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
That is incorrect. There are other cities in the. U.S. already operating on city streets. Greensboro will be the first in the state to use them downtown on urban streets. Greensboro didn't want to use existing shuttles made by other companies. This is more about creating a partnership with the city and NC A&T State University and it's a learning experience for the students. Just keeping it local which I think is a better idea for both the city and the university. The state has given money to three universities to help spearhead the future of autonomous vehicles (NC State, NC A&T State and UNC Chapel Hill) which explains why Greensboro is doing this. It also appears as though they will not only operate on downtown streets, they will also operate between Gateway University Research Park and downtown Greensboro.

You are not familiar with the public inner workings of Greensboro. This idea has been in the works since the DGI put together a plan for the next plans for downtown. This is no publicity stunt. Apparently laws recently changed because this is pretty new across the country. NC State only started using them just a few weeks ago.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...outputType=amp

"Nowhere in the United States is it strictly illegal to own or operate a self-driving car. Many states have passed laws regulating or authorizing the use of autonomous vehicles as a way to prepare for the changes that self-driving cars may bring. But no state has outright banned the technology."

Its more accurate to say that no individual citizens are using them in North Carolina and for good reasons. The state is ahead of the technology putting together laws for future private use. But there are no federal bans for public or individual use. States are allowing cities to use them as public transportation where they can be more regulated and so that cities can be more prepared to allow individual citizens to use them one day. There are only a hand full of states that allow cities to operate them like five or so and it appears North Carolina is now one of them. But once again just because something like this is happening in Greensboro, particularly on the heels of Raleigh and before Charlotte, a few want to look at as a joke. Greensboro is just as innovative as any other city and is capable of doing some bold things.

https://www.lifewire.com/are-self-dr...-legal-4587765
I am not mocking Greensboro or A&T.

Self driving automated shuttles are not operating on any US public streets, except for isolated testing vehicles. The technology is not fully developed yet and it will be years before these become commonplace. I do question the $ 50 k grant for developing, constructing and implimenting new vehicles. More of a publicity gag IMO. NCSU's shuttle is still a work in progress, but they feel comfortable to use it on campus. If an accident occurs, it will immediately be scrapped. For now, it's a novelty.

It's important to note that the limited systems available now, including NCSU's and the one referenced in Grand Rapids, do not operate without a human "attendant" on board at all times - because the technology is not sufficient at this time for it to be trusted. Still a novelty.

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 02-13-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Attacking you? Bless your heart.

Well I'm sure if you inform them NCSU had it first, A&T will back out of the whole thing in defeat.
A&T will not be able to design, build and implement this for $ 50 k. Neither could NCSU, that's why they purchased theirs. Please stop trolling.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
A&T will not be able to design, build and implement this for $ 50 k. Neither could NCSU, that's why they purchased theirs. Please stop trolling.
It's a grant, not a budget. Did you even read the article? Or were you too worried about quickly playing the "we had it first" game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina