Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 04:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Does this forum have an ignore button?

They need to have an ignore Charlotte feature for him

Old 07-12-2019, 05:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Does this forum have an ignore button?
i wish. This forum needs an approval process, with a 3 page application.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Where in the US does red clay remain exposed without something green like weeds or grass growing on it besides CLT’s runways?

I can have opinions and seeing as how I’ve lived all over the country for the past 30 years my opinions have some merit.

If NC is known for its trees and attractive landscape, then it’s not stupid to want millions of people landing at CLT to see the nicest landscape possible.

For my good deed of the day, I’ll try to convey my thoughts about how grass fully covering the mounds of dirt around the runways would be a nice, easy, and inexpensive touch for CLT’s passenger experience.

This thread is so weighted towards Charlotte’s tall building quest, that no amount of cheap shots could balance it back to the whole state.

Charlotte’s million population in city limits is wonderful but only as relevant as Jacksonville’s which as a metro is smaller than even the Triangle.

You don’t have triangle people constantly bragging about Wake County’s population.

And the metro populations within tv and radio reception distance is the most true in quantitating how big a city is.

MSAs being redefined by adding, giving up counties disqualifies those numbers.

And come on, some of the posts about Restaurants and airport number of gates in the future are clearly showing that something is missing in someone’s life. Mine is too, that’s why I need to get off this forum and go out and socialize.

We have seen these photos of Charlotte’s new towers umpteen times on here.

Have you ever watched WeatherNation channel on tv? They split the Northeast and Southeast right through NC, and show Raleigh’s temps with the Northeast’s and Charlotte’s with the Southeast’s.

I don’t know if they’re Pennsylvania based or somewhere in Kansas. Boy they are off the mark aren’t they?
Ok Don Quixote.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 AM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
This thread is bonkers

Old 07-13-2019, 09:55 PM

807 posts, read 689,401 times
Maybe we should start a new thread where we can talk about, say, development in NC.

Saw on another forum that the Duke tower has grown to 42 stories and might end up slightly taller than Hearst.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You’re worried about the on of the busiest airports in the world seeming rural because there is red clay somewhere? I’ve never noticed the red clay but Whatever. North Carolina will survive.
Busiest in the world ranking using aircraft movements, a metric not as commonly used which includes general aviation. O&D passenger numbers (people actually visiting Charlotte, Western NC) very close to RDU's. Yes Piedmont Airlines, NC's own original national carrier did establish CLT as a contender.

It has the lowest hub operating costs in the country which is good and should continue.

NC will be better from observant design professionals noticing and getting the little things as good as they can be.

I haven't flown through there in over 5 years but could draw a map of the airport and I-485 and the skyline in great detail just from memory.

I also badgered NCDOT to get at least some of the freeway lights working again in your city.

My next little pet peeve is that some of the shoulder signs on I-277 have jumbled text from redos that isn't typeset perfectly like most NC highway signage is.

New signs with a little more breathing room for the exits and attractions would be an added feather of respect for the city and the state.

It's not a criticism, it's a tiny improvement benefitting everyone.

If you haven't noticed the lack of grass around CLT's runways and this unique red soil and are that unobservant about the city you promote so much, you have no right to reply condescendingly.

clt by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Last edited by architect77; 07-14-2019 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Busiest in the world ranking using aircraft movements, a metric not as commonly used which includes general aviation. O&D passenger numbers (people actually visiting Charlotte, Western NC) very close to RDU's. Yes Piedmont Airlines, NC's own original national carrier did establish CLT as a contender.

It has the lowest hub operating costs in the country which is good and should continue.

NC will be better from observant design professionals noticing and getting the little things as good as they can be.

I haven't flown through there in over 5 years but could draw a map of the airport and I-485 and the skyline in great detail just from memory.

I also badgered NCDOT to get at least some of the freeway lights working again in your city.

My next little pet peeve is that some of the shoulder signs on I-277 have jumbled text from redos that isn't typeset perfectly like most NC highway signage is.

New signs with a little more breathing room for the exits and attractions would be an added feather of respect for the city and the state.

If you haven't noticed the lack of grass around CLT's runways and this unique red soil and are that unobservant about the city you promote so much, you have no right to reply condescendingly.

No one cares about red clay from airport construction.

Edit: omg. That Flickr album.....

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-14-2019 at 11:57 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
Fourth Parallel Runway
They are getting ready for another runway. it it hard to build a run way on green grass.

Destination CLT encompasses the first phase of our Master Plan Update, a collaborative effort with our airline partners and the FAA. It represents a $2.5-3.1 billion capital investment in capacity enhancement projects.

https://www.cltairport.com/newsroom/destination-clt

Last edited by CLT1985; 07-15-2019 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 05:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
Norfolk Southern has a Intermodal Facility between two run ways.

Photo by CLT airport

Last edited by CLT1985; 07-15-2019 at 06:14 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:

I fly through Charlotte pretty regularly for work and leisure and I’ve only noticed red clay once. Otherwise I’m in awe of the amount of plane movements, just last week I saw at least five planes in queue as our plane was making its way to gate, that’s more impressive than red clay. This past Friday I saw a large NC Guard plane taking off, with the skyline in the distance, that impressed me. I’m not looking for red clay at all, you can make another criticisms of CLT such as some concourse needing an update but the natural phenomenon of clay isn’t one of them but of course you know that already.
Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina development thread.-1b5fcbc4-5a50-422d-a388-28c596a83d4b.jpeg  

Last edited by BMORE; 07-15-2019 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina