Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The metro GDP would suggest that Charlotte is overdue for a 3rd pro team for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP
True. And/Or those same GDP numbers can be used to suggest that the Triangle is overdue for a 2nd pro team. 2019, the Raleigh and Durham metro combined should be around $140m.

It'll interesting to see how all the MLS noise plays out. I barely bat an eye (pun intended) at the MLB expansion because I think it's just to far away to care.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,323,279 times
$146 million for both metros combined, which isn’t how it works. They’re split for a reason. MLS is obviously going to Charlotte.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
$146 million for both metros combined, which isn’t how it works. They’re split for a reason. MLS is obviously going to Charlotte.
Isn't how what works?

Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,442,543 times
Charlotte Sports
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...North_Carolina

Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
Quote:
They’re split for a quirk in the system, because Wake is bigger (and therefore considered the anchor county) yet Durham has the majority of the Park (and therefore the high volume of traffic goes in the wrong direction).

Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,400,452 times
Quote:

Omg. Are we really gonna start the debate whether Raleigh-Durham is/isn’t basically a single metro?

Technically on paper, they’re separate. The only reason I think Charlotte is more likely than Raleigh to get the bid is the support. Tepper, Panthers, Ally Bank, the major players are going hard and are putting together an impressive bid.

RDU could definitely support an MLS. My personal opinion is CLT fits into the plan well moreso than Raleigh and after there’s better choices than adding 2 Carolina teams. But the corporate support and a billionaire owner is probably jackpot for MLS officials. Corporate sponsorships are important for all the major sports.

But Trent is right. RDU is definitely overdue for a major league. I’d prefer NFL. I think it’d be the most well-supported. But would NFL want to split the CAR market? Maybe NBA, after all, Raleigh/NC is a basketball heavyweight. Not sure the Charlotte Hornets are as popular as Panthers for all of N.C. as are the Hurricanes.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
They’re split for a quirk in the system, because Wake is bigger (and therefore considered the anchor county) yet Durham has the majority of the Park (and therefore the high volume of traffic goes in the wrong direction).
Should have let him explain. I was eagerly waiting for a high level response from Austincool. It rarely comes unfortunately...

Old 07-21-2019, 08:53 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
RDU = airport
The Triangle will not get an NFL or NBA team. But likely we need Goodnight going all in to get a MLS or MLB team. I think we will have to suffice with college and Hurricanes.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
RDU = airport
The Triangle will not get an NFL or NBA team. But likely we need Goodnight going all in to get a MLS or MLB team. I think we will have to suffice with college and Hurricanes.
Yeah no way we get an NFL team or NBA. NC already has one of each and CLT and the Triangle arent big enough to warrant two teams in the same state like other states with multiple major metro's i.e. Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Texas etc. Though I did attend the preason Celtics vs Hornets game in Chapel Hill this year and man the turnout was unbelievable. The support isn't what I question it's just more on the NBA and NFL organization side of things for why they wouldn't put another team here.

I don't think we need Goodnight to step in (though it would help). I think Raleigh has a strong case for MLS, as long as the stadium plans go through. Tepper obviously gives Charlotte a really good shot too. I think it be idiotic for MLS to pass up NC all together so I strongly feel we're getting a team one way or the other. But I agree with Charlotte485. If one city wins it then the next slot will go somewhere else. There won't be two teams in NC.

We'll just have to see what happens. If the Triangle only ends up with one pro team for the time being then that's fine too. Wont be the end of the world. Plenty of other similiarly sized cities that have either only 1 team or none. Plus we obviously have the college sports here which are darn near followed with even more fervor and support then a lot of other small market pro teams have.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,355,764 times
I think we are all overlooking the attendance of current pro teams in this state.

2018 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

2018-2019 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

What's interesting is that Charlotte supports its NBA/NFL teams better than Atlanta does. Also, Charlotte continues to lead the minors in baseball attendance.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/09/1...ce-by-average/

MLB or MLS could do well in Charlotte. IMO, it will be MLS now and then MLB within 10 years (after the metro passes 3 million).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina