Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM

459 posts, read 373,770 times

Advertisements

Malik is now looking into the former Cargill site just south of Downtown Raleigh to build the soccer stadium. According to sources, the revised stadium plans might be made public as early as March 14th.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 PM

186 posts, read 177,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Malik is now looking into the former Cargill site just south of Downtown Raleigh to build the soccer stadium. According to sources, the revised stadium plans might be made public as early as March 14th.
I hope he can make that location work. With some dense development around that area, South Raleigh is going to look better and better every year. Hammond Rd and South Wilmington Str are two corridors with massive potential and I cannot see why an MLS stadium would not help.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:39 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
Developer Roy Carroll tweeted he will reveal plans for "Carroll at Bellemeade South" in downtown Greensboro within 30 days.

Carroll said it would have several uses. Its expected it will include residential, office/retail and another hotel. I wonder if he'll include a convention center? There is enough land. The development site stretches a block down to Friendly Ave. Carroll tweeted a message about two months ago saying "I'm thinking about building a convention center downtown". Collectively there would be quite a bit of ballpark development. Four apartment complexes, two hotels, retail, a parking deck, two office projects (Project Slugger and Carroll at Bellemeade South) and maybe a convention center. It would be the only place he could build it. He only owns one other site downtown and that's the lot next to his Center Pointe condo highrise which Carroll plans a future tower there (probably for Project 561 when its back on the table) If he builds a convention center, it would be feasible to build a slightly larger hotel maybe around 200 rooms or more. In addition, a convention center on site would also mean we would see a taller residential/hotel project because it would take up quite a bit of land. Guess we will find out within 30 days.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,219 times

don't know why it won't let me copy and paste right now, but while not major I thought this was cool, the Boxyard a mix of restaurants in RTP Frontier Campus will be coming sometime in 2020. long way out but still thought it was cool.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:21 PM

3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greensboro.

Tanger Center vs DPAC

Steven Tanger Center

3,000 seats

111,000 square feet

Architect: H3 Hardy Collaboration Architecture

Sound System: Meyer Sound Constellation electronic acoustic enhancement system.

Cost: $89 million

DPAC

2,712 seats

103,000 square feet

Architect: Szostak Design

Cost: $48 million

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-09-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 07:40 PM

81 posts, read 158,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greensboro.

Tanger Center vs DPAC

Steven Tanger Center

3,000 seats

111,000 square feet

Architect: H3 Hardy Collaboration Architecture

Sound System: Meyer Sound Constellation electronic acoustic enhancement system.

Cost: $89 million

DPAC

2,712 seats

103,000 square feet

Architect: Szostak Design

Cost: $48 million

Really nice. No way it's under $100 million. Here I was hoping Goodnight would donate $200 million renovate Raleigh's performing arts center or something. Where can we get a deal like that?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
Really nice. No way it's under $100 million. Here I was hoping Goodnight would donate $200 million renovate Raleigh's performing arts center or something. Where can we get a deal like that?
Much of the cost was paid for through donations from local nonprofits and wealthy individuals. The rest through user fees. I agree it is a good deal. DPAC was 48 million. However construction costs were lower in 2008.

Downtown Greensboro has several other theaters big and small. The Carolina Theatre is the next largest downtown. Built in 1926. Downtown Greensboro has a mix of both modern and historic theaters. There are three other smaller performing arts theaters downtown

Carolina Theatre 1926 , the most extravagant of all the Carolina Theaters. Durham and Winston-Salem still have theirs as well however the one in Winston-Salem is now called the Stevens Center.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-09-2019 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
The construction costs need to be adjusted for inflation in addition to accounting for recession-era construction costs.

The sound quality and experience inside is most important, and I hope the Tanger building has that to redeem a ho-hum exterior.

But the Tanger centers along the interstate aren't known for sleek, sophisticated design either.

DPAC provided a venue that was an important size that the Triangle didn't have prior, allowing performers to come that otherwise wouldn't have.

Talk about the outdated perceptions of the older folks, my Dad missed a lot of performances he really wanted to see Like Book of Mormon because he's scared to go to DPAC.

What a waste.

I've never been inside Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium, but I've always like the exterior juxtaposing the old columns next to modern glass.

When you get that just right, you have the ultimate update to an old bldg.: I.M. Pei's addition to the Louvre. Simple, glass, geometric shape against the solid heavy façade of the old building.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
Brick makes almost any of these designs tolerable, even the most simple, basic shapes.

I hate those moderns in Raleigh if they're clad in hardiplank or stucco. The big shadowbox facades are just plain ugly, and Atlanta has tons of these.

I cannot see how they could possibly age well or appreciate in value.

The best I see are those front elevations for St. Mary's Street in Raleigh. They are gorgeous and appropriate for this collegiate, leafy area of Raleigh.

Those hand renderings with all the pulled back drapes looks like a ghetto. Whoever thought that looked good has dubious tastes.

But then again the lobbies at most of the new Midtown Atlanta rental towers would make NYC interior designers laugh.

The South's tastes are more embellished on the verge of tacky. NYC interiors are minimal to the extreme.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The construction costs need to be adjusted for inflation in addition to accounting for recession-era construction costs.

The sound quality and experience inside is most important, and I hope the Tanger building has that to redeem a ho-hum exterior.

But the Tanger centers along the interstate aren't known for sleek, sophisticated design either.

DPAC provided a venue that was an important size that the Triangle didn't have prior, allowing performers to come that otherwise wouldn't have.

Talk about the outdated perceptions of the older folks, my Dad missed a lot of performances he really wanted to see Like Book of Mormon because he's scared to go to DPAC.

What a waste.

I've never been inside Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium, but I've always like the exterior juxtaposing the old columns next to modern glass.

When you get that just right, you have the ultimate update to an old bldg.: I.M. Pei's addition to the Louvre. Simple, glass, geometric shape against the solid heavy façade of the old building.
Architecturally, most performing arts centers are not architecturally stunning unless it's a venue in one of those Asian cities or American cities like New York or San Francisco. I rank both DPAC and the Tanger Center design as average although I think they could have done a better job with the design on the sides and the back of the Tanger Center. Maybe the plain walls on the back and side was intentional because of foresight for future development attached to or built next to the Tanger Center. However I am fond of the limestone and glass entrance on the Tanger Center. The interior of DPAC's concert hall is VERY plain but again for most PACs these days its all about the experience and not the look. As far as cost with the Tanger Center, a lot of it went into sound and technology. The PAC backers put that ahead of an architectural award winning stellar design and that was a smart decision. The Tanger Center will have one of the very few sound systems in the country of its type. Its the best of the best. Tanger will have a better sound experience than DPAC. Tanger will actually have two sound systems. One for Broadway shows, comedy shows etc. And the best sound system will be used for musicals and Symphony Orchestra. Even the interior of the concert hall was designed for the best sound experience.

This was one of the finalist designs for Greensboro's Tanger Center. It was a larger facility with a better design. But again they had to stay within budget and the sound experience was more important than a better design. Plus they thought 3,000 seats were more appropriate than 3,500 seats for Greensboro. Even still with 3,000 seats at 111,000 square feet it will be the largest PAC in the Carolinas. No other PAC in either Carolinas have that many seats. Greensboro will probably hold that title for a while until Charlotte eventually replaces the Blumenthal. With more state-of-the-art facilities in Durham and Greensboro, the Queen City might have that desire to stay competitive.

A finalist design for Greensboro's Tanger Center which would have ballooned well over $100 million. It had 3,500 seats and more rooms for other large events.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-10-2019 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina