Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 07:58 AM

186 posts, read 177,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Pay wall. But it looks like the developer building the mixed-use project at Union Square University campus is tweaking his plan and adding more apartments along with row homes that will border the southern Greenway loop in downtown Greensboro

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad&#6..._news_headline
I like this style of rowhouses There seems to be a lot of interest for building this type of residences in Downtown Raleigh, mainly because it is still an under-served market, IMHO. The only thing I don't like is that most of them are nestled between single homes instead of occupying entire blocks - not sure I like this in most cases. Also, I would love to see some rowhouses that have historic look, without looking like cheap imitations, but I guess the market will eventually decide whether this is feaasible, or not. Since young professionals is the main target for many of these units, I assume that contemporary styles will be more appealing and likely to be built.

Taken from the article:
Quote:
Milt Rhodes, principal planner for Winston-Salem-based Arden, told Triad Business Journal that plans for the project now call for 40 row houses clustered in groups of five. There also will be a multi-use building of almost 120,000 square feet, with 8,000 square feet of retail, 65,186 square feet of office, and 67 apartments.
I consider proximity to Southside a major plus

Old 03-07-2019, 08:05 AM

6,158 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
I like this style of rowhouses There seems to be a lot of interest for building this type of residences in Downtown Raleigh, mainly because it is still an under-served market, IMHO. The only thing I don't like is that most of them are nestled between single homes instead of occupying entire blocks - not sure I like this in most cases. Also, I would love to see some rowhouses that have historic look, without looking like cheap imitations, but I guess the market will eventually decide whether this is feaasible, or not. Since young professionals is the main target for many of these units, I assume that contemporary styles will be more appealing and likely to be built.

Taken from the article:
I consider proximity to Southside a major plus
I love row homes. There are actually some old ones on the east side of downtown Greensboro. But the new row homes and apartments being planned are in close proximity to the historic denim factory where Centric Brands want bring 200 high paying creative class jobs. Many of those employees would probably live downtown.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-07-2019 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM

459 posts, read 373,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I looked this up and I was intrigued by the design and location. It appears the most expensive unit is for sale for $675k and some are under $600k. Still a pretty penny for about 1,800-2,000 sf. That location has been certainly gentrifying over the last several years. I remember when we moved to Raleigh in 2006 that area was still really run down.
I'm probably thinking of Hargett Place about two blocks north of this one. Those are sold out and go for much more. Not sure I would qualify them as row houses due to the design but some do.

10 Arros is probably the more affordable option if you want a row house in East DTR.

The Saint Raleigh is in West DTR next to Glenwood South District

The Ten on South Person is probably the oldest Row House development in East DTR.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
I'm probably thinking of Hargett Place about two blocks north of this one. Those are sold out and go for much more. Not sure I would qualify them as row houses due to the design but some do.

10 Arros is probably the more affordable option if you want a row house in East DTR.

The Saint Raleigh is in West DTR next to Glenwood South District

The Ten on South Person is probably the oldest Row House development in East DTR.
I hope you don't mind if I add a few more entries - new and existing - to your list. I will stick with Downtown Raleigh for this post.

West & Lenoir Townhomes

Image is courtesy of Sterling e Stevens Design Photo

St Mary''s Street Townhomes

The following are not new, but they deserve a mention because they began to show that the interest was there and developers had to step up to the plate to provide this type of housing in Downtown Raleigh.

Capitol Park Townhomes
Frequently overlooked. Sure, this is a Hope IV project, but I think they look pretty nice in real life and contribute a lot to the street level experience in that area.

Image is courtesy of JDavis Architects

Blount Street Commons
I will not mention the townhomes behind because I am not interested in "backyard" type of development. To me, the developer missed a great opportunity to create a nice urban row.

Image is courtesy of downtownraleighdigs.blogspot.com

Person Street Townes
Image is courtesy of downtownraleighdigs.blogspot.com

Old 03-07-2019, 11:46 AM

459 posts, read 373,662 times
Raleigh beat New Jersey for a 200 worker expansion from French biotech Cellectis.

“Cellectis intends to build the world’s first manufacturing facility in North Carolina that will put together gene editing and cell therapies. This state-of-the-art facility will reflect our cutting-edge advances in manufacturing sophisticated gene-edited cell therapies at a commercial scale. We benchmarked several locations within North Carolina and in other states and selected Raleigh which combined multiple advantages, including a strong state support and willingness to welcome world-class innovative companies. Cellectis' priorities are very much aligned to North Carolina's and we are pleased with this partnership to write this new page of our history,” said André Choulika, Chairman and CEO of Cellectis."

https://governor.nc.gov/news/cancer-...north-carolina

They already have an office in north Raleigh.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Pay wall. But it looks like the developer building the mixed-use project at Union Square University campus is tweaking his plan and adding more apartments along with row homes that will border the southern Greenway loop in downtown Greensboro

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad&#6..._news_headline
More details on the project at the south end of downtown Greensboro. The mixed-use building will be 120,000 square feet with 3 floors of office and first floor retail. Parking will be beneath the building and a quarter acre courtyard will separate the retail from 6 story apartments. 40 row homes will be built in groups of 5 and construction on the row homes and mixed-use building will begin late summer. This is a welcome addition considering New York based Centric Brands is eyeing the old Wrangler jeans factory across the street for 200 high paying "creative class" jobs. A hotel is proposed for this development in a later phase. Arden Communities of Winston-Salem is the developer. This project serves as an extension of downtown's Southside Neighborhood which has a collection of live work units, restaurants, apartments and homes.

BTW. Here are some photos of Southside in downtown Greensboro. Neo traditional, Charleston and New Orleans inspired architecture.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-07-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-07-2019, 07:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
I've always liked southside and always said that section of MLK by the Dame's Chicken and Waffles reminded me of New Orleans.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Southside is definitely a development worth praising. It came at a time when most NC cities were trying to bring density and restore the urban feel in their downtowns. An early success story that inspired confidence, in a sense that people saw living in the city center as a possibility. I look forward to seeing the surrounding areas develop into higher density neighborhoods. The Arden Communities proposal seems to take things to the right direction

Old 03-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I've always liked southside and always said that section of MLK by the Dame's Chicken and Waffles reminded me of New Orleans.
Yes I love Dame's Chicken and Waffles in Greensboro's downtown Southside. VERY New Orleans.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Along the row house lines...Greenville is going to have a few new ones downtown as a filler to the ongoing Dickinson Avenue corridor improvements...

Taft Family Ventures' new downtown project will target homebuyers - Daily Reflector

Also of note in the article that Taft Family Ventures, which does projects in Charlotte and Raleigh among other places is moving their headquarters to downtown Greenville (it was currently leasing space in the medical district) in the Historic Building on Dickinson Ave next to these new row houses. They are in the finishing stages of the Proximity on the 10th St, which will be opening this summer...

https://www.taftfamilyventures.com/under-construction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina