Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 07:34 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
For the “I want to encourage her to visit my elderly relative”: I would never ever ask her to come check on my relative (or do anything for us). She was kind enough to visit my relative, and I just want her to know that we are grateful for her and for who she is. I figure that if she received only silence in response to her visiting my relative, she wouldn’t go back. But if she understands that we like and appreciate her, hopefully that’ll encourage her to come back.

I don’t know her phone number and it would be strange for me to call her randomly. How about if I leave a bouquet of flowers and a card for her, maybe in her front porch or garage entrance, and don’t even knock?

Have the flowers sent from a florist. The florist can deliver the flowers with a card that expresses your sentiments. "Sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you."

Dropping off flowers and then running away just seems very childish.

I hate drop-ins. Maybe I'm cleaning my oven. Maybe I'm coloring my hair. Maybe I'm sitting in the den watching a sad movie and crying. The person at the door can hear me inside the house. It's very awkward to not answer the doorbell when the person outside knows you are home and choosing to ignore them.

Always call or text to ask if it's convenient for you to visit at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 08:03 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Send a card and be done with it.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:12 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Send a card and be done with it.
Thanks. I think we’ll do this.

It seems like dropping by is a no-win situation (even though the family friend dropped by unannounced to my elderly relative’s house, which was fine, and people seem to drop by unannounced all the time to visit my elderly relative, which is fine, and I don’t have the family friend’s phone number).

Old 12-30-2022, 08:19 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I agree. Send a nice card

Old 12-30-2022, 10:47 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Again: if she's a family friend, presumably she's closer to someone else in your family than you. Surely that person/those people would be able to advise you what to do, and give you her phone number.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Have the flowers sent from a florist. The florist can deliver the flowers with a card that expresses your sentiments. "Sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you."

Dropping off flowers and then running away just seems very childish.

I hate drop-ins. Maybe I'm cleaning my oven. Maybe I'm coloring my hair. Maybe I'm sitting in the den watching a sad movie and crying. The person at the door can hear me inside the house. It's very awkward to not answer the doorbell when the person outside knows you are home and choosing to ignore them.

Always call or text to ask if it's convenient for you to visit at that time.

Creepy too. I agree, send the flowers and message through a florist. Good idea.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:06 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Since she went to visit your relative Im assuming shes able to get out and about. I would send her a card with a nice handwritten note. Include a gift card to someplace close to her. With a token amount equivalent to a nice bunch of flowers. If you think she might take your relative out with her, then increase the amount on the card.

But dont make the amount too large. Its creepy when people you dont know go overboard. I start wondering if they have an agenda.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:48 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I agree with just sending a card, include a note that you remember how kind she was when she visited your relative.

I am another one who doesn't want drop in visitors. And sending flowers seems too much for someone you aren't that close with.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:58 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
I like your original plan. Obviously this lady isn't in the "you don't stop by and surprise someone" camp because she took that same approach with your family member. That was more common for that generation. That human connection even for a couple of minutes may make her feel less alone in the world.

Old 12-31-2022, 03:21 AM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
Send a card with a simple message inside, & include a personal note that is legible. Include your phone # & encourage her to call, letting her know that you don't have her phone #. Include a message that if she needs anything, to call & mean that sincerely. No flowers, plant, gift or gift card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships