Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:50 AM

16,471 posts, read 12,728,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How often do you need a camera? How often do you need any of those things except for a pen and notepad and even those aren't needed that often. Not one post in this thread is about people that need a cell for work and refuse to carry one. We are talking about everyday life.

I have never carried an address book. It is in a drawer and doesn't come out that often. I use my calculator everyday but only at home. The calendar is on the fridge and the desktop one is used for my appointments.
I use the camera on my phone all.the.time. Once you start using it to snap pictures of mundane things you want to take note of, you start realizing how handy it is. The other day, for example, I saw a product in a store, but wanted to do some comparison shopping online. So I took a picture of the item, and of the information card on the shelf, and when I got home, I had all the pertinent info and specs.

I can't imagine having a calendar and leaving it at home. That doesn't help at all. I need to be able to schedule things on the fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 AM

16,471 posts, read 12,728,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you can't write it down, or remember it? What happens if you lose your phone or it is stolen?
It's all backed up to a computer or to the cloud. I get a new phone, and load all the info. If I write it down and lose what it's written on, it's gone forever.

But I've been using a cell phone of one sort or another for more than 20 years, and never lost one or had one stolen (knock wood). Not a big concern for me.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 07-12-2017 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 07:17 AM
KCZ

4,706 posts, read 3,772,514 times
Quote:
And you can't write it down, or remember it? What happens if you lose your phone or it is stolen? Do you know any phone numbers in your head?

Do you know with Alzehiemer's patients one of the techniques to slow down the progression of the disease is testing the memory.

Smart phones, dumb people.
Seriously? If your doctor tells you that he wants to see you again in 3 months, and his secretary says they have an opening on Oct. 11th at 2:15 pm, you know whether you're free at that time? Or do you go home, look at your calendar, and call back? That's a huge waste of time.

And yes, I do know a lot of numbers. However, my landscaper's is not one of them, and I need to call him this morning about the **** job his guys did mowing my lawn yesterday. Having his number in my phone means I don't have to look it up in a phone book or online, which is another waste of time. ETA: I also took a photo of said **** job using the phone so I can text it to him and he can see what I'm complaining about.

And yes, if you depend on a smartphone/PDA, you have to keep it backed up regularly, whether it's to your computer, cloud, or other device, and you should have the ability to wipe it remotely so other people don't have access to everything in it if you lose it.

Of course, a "connection addiction" is going to waste more of your time than you save by using the PDA functions of the phone.

Smartphones can be a very effective tool for busy people who need to stay organized. The "dumb people" remark was uncalled for.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,691,828 times
My life has changed a lot, so I'm "low tech."

1 - Organization: I have a calendar with large squares on the wall over my computer at work and an almost identical one over my computer at home. ALL work deadlines, events go on the work calendar. Personal appointments go on my home calendar. I carry a small memo notebook with me and jot down notes and dates. At the end of work or at 7 pm in the evening when I'm preparing for the next day, I transfer dates.

This system works because most of the time my life really isn't complicated and I probably could just remember most dates, but the one at work has been helpful to disorganzied co-workers who can't seem to keep track of their phones, let alone use a calendar function.

2 - Cell phone. I still don't own one, and I use my work phone less and less. I try to encourage everyone to use email for work-related things. This is good because it leaves a paper trail and actually cuts down on a lot of BS. I generally return calls once a day in the early afternoon, right after lunch. I do email briefly in the morning and do a a longer session after I return phone calls.

3 - Home phone. I use it less and less and can go weeks without using it. I return personal emails after dinner (generally) and they are usually fairly short.

What do I do the rest of the time? SEE PEOPLE IN PERSON. Really. I go biking with them, have lunch, meet for grocery shopping and coffee after. These aren't long get-togethers but they are more in-depth than one-sentence texts.

No one has "immediate access" to me, which is fine. This is how it was in the old days. I've found that a lot of drama tends to resolve itself with no input from me.

As for the camera function, I carry a camera! I have a little one that fits into my bike bag.

Disclaimer: I'm not a parent, nor am I running a business. If that were the case, I'd have to have a cell phone and be a lot more accessible to people. I also do have a flip phone that I carry when I'm traveling (for emergencies). It stays off unless I need it, and no one has that number.

I used to be tied to a phone many years ago. I'm not sure I could live like that anymore. I also think many people who are glued to one (and don't own a business or have a sick child) are fooling themselves about their importance.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 AM

226 posts, read 300,428 times
At the insistence of our children, my husband and I got smart phones. We rarely use them. But they do come in handy to find each other in the big box stores.
"Where you at?"
“In the candy aisle.â€
“OK, stay there. I’ll come to you.â€
That’s probably the longest conversation we have these days too.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:54 AM

407 posts, read 374,106 times
Quote:
And you can't write it down, or remember it? What happens if you lose your phone or it is stolen? Do you know any phone numbers in your head?

Do you know with Alzehiemer's patients one of the techniques to slow down the progression of the disease is testing the memory.

Smart phones, dumb people.
Honestly, there is no need to be insulting. It's a matter of preference, not intelligence. I prefer to have our family calendar readily available to me when trying to schedule things. Could I write it down and then add it to a calendar hanging in on the 'fridge? Sure. But it's much more efficient for ME to use a smart phone to keep track of such things. You want to do it the other way? Go for it, no skin off my nose. And I won't think you're dumb for doing so either.

There is a difference between people who use a smart phone for everyday tasks vs. people who cannot pull their eyes away from it for more than 10 minutes (or seconds, in some cases). Don't group the two together.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 AM

14,323 posts, read 14,978,149 times
No job, no debt thus I have no need to stay in touch so my cell phone often sits unused for a day or two. It is for me to reach people, not for them to reach me. Girl friend and I text to set things up.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:52 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,309,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I do not judge, but am curious- Anyone else partially disconnect with the smartphone?

I've carried cell phones since 1996, but they have been dumb phones rather than smartphones. Their only use over 20 years has been to contact Verizon when the landline phone isn't working. That has happened three or four times. I would also use them to contact AAA for emergency road service, but so far have not needed to.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:52 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,268,350 times
I didn't read the whole thread but i support you OP!! and have been thinking of doing this myself.

I definitely want to take a week vacation this year and be out in nature and leave my phone at home the whole week! i can't wait. i think it will feel good.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,845,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My Cellphone is usually in my purse, turned off! I have it in case of emergencies or if I really need to speak to someone (If I am expecting an important call, I will leave it on). I would only have to have my cell phone with me, if I were going on a trip, or expected some important news/call. And I actually prefer real calls, I don't understand the need to text instead of calling....but then again, I hate texting.

We still have a home phone along with the cell phones (Yes I know we are weird, lol) and to be honest that is what I prefer to talk to people on. At times, I have thought about ditching the cell phone altogether.
(But will probably keep it, for emergencies and the times it might come in handy.)

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I too prefer to make personal calls in the privacy and comfort of my home.
I also prefer to use my land line.

When I am out with people, friends, I keep my cell phone in my purse - sometimes on, sometimes off, depending upon whether or not I am expecting a call.

Where ever I am, and whom ever I am with, I prefer to be in the moment. I like to give my undivided attention to the person with whom I am spending REAL time with, at that moment.
At other times, I am engrossed in something and I just don't want to have a conversation while I am doing what I am doing.

Phones today record whom ever is attempting to contact me, so now more than ever I do not see the need to answer the phone every time it rings. Sometimes I look at it, sometimes I do not.

And yes, sometimes I leave it at home!

Last I checked, I am not an on call brain surgeon. Anyone who needs my instant attention and demands that I answer every call, every time, will find themselves disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships