Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 PM

8,320 posts, read 8,771,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
For those of you that don't have, or don't use, a cellphone, do you carry a calendar/appt book? Address book? Calculator? Notepad and pen? Pocket camera? I think a smartphone has readily combined most of those frequently-used things into one device, but we're paying an always-connected penalty for the convenience.
How often do you need a camera? How often do you need any of those things except for a pen and notepad and even those aren't needed that often. Not one post in this thread is about people that need a cell for work and refuse to carry one. We are talking about everyday life.

I have never carried an address book. It is in a drawer and doesn't come out that often. I use my calculator everyday but only at home. The calendar is on the fridge and the desktop one is used for my appointments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,764,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How often do you need a camera? How often do you need any of those things except for a pen and notepad and even those aren't needed that often. Not one post in this thread is about people that need a cell for work and refuse to carry one. We are talking about everyday life.

I have never carried an address book. It is in a drawer and doesn't come out that often. I use my calculator everyday but only at home. The calendar is on the fridge and the desktop one is used for my appointments.
Exactly, other than having one handy for a car accident, unless you're on a trip or going to a special event who needs a camera constantly?

My address book is in a drawer as well. I take it out when calling someone I don't talk to often or if I am mailing them something. Either way I am doing that at home.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,263,361 times
I suspect some people simply have an addiction. For example, I have a smartphone but it's on vibrate (usually no one calls me anyway). I take it with me but never, ever look at it unless I need to check time or am expecting something important.

At the same time, just recently I had lunch with one person I know from work and he just kept looking at his phone. I thougt maybe he's expecting some important news (didn't say anything though) but then all of a sudden he goes "oh, look what just got posted on Facebook!" Wtf, seriously? We are two adults, having in person conversation and you have to check stupid FB every second? That got to be an illness.

IMHO it does not have to be all or nothing. Technology has been very liberating and can be extremely useful. But it can also be harmful. One just need to manage it.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,183,934 times
Quote:
For those of you that don't have, or don't use, a cellphone, do you carry a calendar/appt book? Address book? Calculator? Notepad and pen? Pocket camera? I think a smartphone has readily combined most of those frequently-used things into one device, but we're paying an always-connected penalty for the convenience.
I don't carry a notebook or an appt book, calculator or notepad. I have a pen in my handbag, and a wallet, some tissues, hand cream and gum. If I'm driving, I'll try to remember to take the emergency cell phone. We had a GPS for a few years until it got stolen, and I have to confess I do miss that. I was ready to buy one but my husband made it complicated by suggesting we get smartphones instead.

I do carry a big camera around with me a lot - that can be a pain but I love photography so I'd not be too keen on the type of camera inside a smartphone.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I suspect some people simply have an addiction. For example, I have a smartphone but it's on vibrate (usually no one calls me anyway). I take it with me but never, ever look at it unless I need to check time or am expecting something important.

At the same time, just recently I had lunch with one person I know from work and he just kept looking at his phone. I thougt maybe he's expecting some important news (didn't say anything though) but then all of a sudden he goes "oh, look what just got posted on Facebook!" Wtf, seriously? We are two adults, having in person conversation and you have to check stupid FB every second? That got to be an illness.

IMHO it does not have to be all or nothing. Technology has been very liberating and can be extremely useful. But it can also be harmful. One just need to manage it.
I think it is.

A couple of months ago I was having lunch with a relative and a friend of theirs. The booth across from us were two women about 30, one had what appeared to be a new baby a couple of months old. The whole time the one without the baby never put down her phone, I got the feeling this lunch was supposed to be about the cell phone queen seeing the new baby.

The mother looked both hurt and annoyed, I looked over at her and was tempted to say " would you like to join us since you're alone". Did say something about how cute the baby was, the other one just kept playing with her phone.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 PM

15,655 posts, read 26,411,350 times
Quote:
Not if you don't turn on your data...

I turn my data on at work, check emails throughout the day, receive texts, take photos of broken things, and use the voice recorder to take notes of other things that need addressed.

I'm a flipping janitor.

When I am not at work...data is off. If I'm home I'm connected to wifi. But you're right. My address book is my phone. Don't need to carry pen and paper. I do keep a paper calendar that I sync with my phone calendar.

I also use my phone calculator for small jobs. For large jobs, I pull out the big old far easier to use 10 key.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 PM
KCZ

4,701 posts, read 3,756,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

I always need my calendar with me. For example, if I go to a doctor's appt or get a haircut, I'll need to schedule my next appt on the way out. I honestly don't know how people function without their appt calendar with them. I need something to use for lists and notes. If I have to call AAA or doctor's office unexpectedly, I've got those phone numbers in my contact list. About once a week, I want a camera handy, usually for wildlife. If I'm traveling, I've got maps and a currency converter. Etc. A smartphone/PDA covers all those things, so I don't need a separate appt book, notepad, address book, and calendar. I was an early adopter of the Palm Pilot, and I rarely use my smartphone as a phone.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I always need my calendar with me. For example, if I go to a doctor's appt or get a haircut, I'll need to schedule my next appt on the way out. I honestly don't know how people function without their appt calendar with them. I need something to use for lists and notes. If I have to call AAA or doctor's office unexpectedly, I've got those phone numbers in my contact list. About once a week, I want a camera handy, usually for wildlife. If I'm traveling, I've got maps and a currency converter. Etc. A smartphone/PDA covers all those things, so I don't need a separate appt book, notepad, address book, and calendar. I was an early adopter of the Palm Pilot, and I rarely use my smartphone as a phone.
And you can't write it down, or remember it? What happens if you lose your phone or it is stolen? Do you know any phone numbers in your head?

Do you know with Alzehiemer's patients one of the techniques to slow down the progression of the disease is testing the memory.

Smart phones, dumb people.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 AM

15,655 posts, read 26,411,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you can't write it down, or remember it? What happens if you lose your phone or it is stolen? Do you know any phone numbers in your head?

Do you know with Alzehiemer's patients one of the techniques to slow down the progression of the disease is testing the memory.

Smart phones, dumb people.
Smart phones, smart people. Storing crap information I need but don't want to remember allows me to focus on things I want to do, like sew, and figure out how to sew in that zipper. Or when the Magna Carta was signed..or so many other things...

Here's the thing. The genie is out of the bottle, the cows are out of the barn. At this point smart phones are so passé...people are using those Alexa and Echo things to order via voice from Amazon. Alexa,ljease turn to channel 345...

Time marchs on. I'm sure the women who used washboards at the river were screaming this is the end of civilization! When they saw women using pumped water in a basin to do laundry. And men who rode horses did the same screaming about the end if the world is nigh when they saw a car.

This is the same grousing that's been gong on forever. And hasn't come true yet.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 AM

142 posts, read 121,560 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships