Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,710,114 times

Advertisements

I've left it in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:35 PM

6,863 posts, read 3,012,703 times
If anyone wants to get in touch with me they can either call my landline number because that's all I have OR WANT, email me or, better yet, call in personally to see me for a friendly visit! And, vice versa. Other than that, I'm not interested in your gossip or your meaningless (and often) narcissistic banter. I don't care what restaurant you went to last night. I don't want a picture of what was served up on your plate. I don't care that you went to the movies and saw Wonder Woman. I don't care to see photos of you or your family. I don't care how important that damned molded piece of plastic that's become permanently attached to your hand has made you believe you are. So, unlike the majority of people who carry and publicly flaunt* these devices for no other reason than to keep up with the Jones' ...I choose not to own one. The Jones' bore me. Moreover, in many or most cases ...for crying out loud, these folks live just down the street from their regular contacts!

* The huge number of 'connection addicts' who are on (ahem) 'important business' in the shopping malls and other public places has reached epidemic proportions. For all of you 'non-addicts' (if there ARE any nowadays) just be aware of this and take note the next time you go shopping! And, if you are an addict, take note anyway at all the others you spot who are just like you!

Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 PM

691 posts, read 425,414 times
agreed. the more we come out of the digital life the more we can pay attention to the actual life. +1 disconnecting.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,216,326 times
There's a cell phone around here somewhere. I leave it home half the time, then it won't bother me. It's not a smart phone, just one with one of those little slide out keyboards for easier texting. Folks text me messages, I'll get to them usually sometime the same day but not always. Nor do I want to get to them right away, it would train people into expecting instant attention.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,781,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
If anyone wants to get in touch with me they can either call my landline number because that's all I have OR WANT, email me or, better yet, call in personally to see me for a friendly visit! And, vice versa. Other than that, I'm not interested in your gossip or your meaningless (and often) narcissistic banter. I don't care what restaurant you went to last night. I don't want a picture of what was served up on your plate. I don't care that you went to the movies and saw Wonder Woman. I don't care to see photos of you or your family. I don't care how important that damned molded piece of plastic that's become permanently attached to your hand has made you believe you are. So, unlike the majority of people who carry and publicly flaunt* these devices for no other reason than to keep up with the Jones' ...I choose not to own one. The Jones' bore me. Moreover, in many or most cases ...for crying out loud, these folks live just down the street from their regular contacts!

* The huge number of 'connection addicts' who are on (ahem) 'important business' in the shopping malls and other public places has reached epidemic proportions. For all of you 'non-addicts' (if there ARE any nowadays) just be aware of this and take note the next time you go shopping! And, if you are an addict, take note anyway at all the others you spot who are just like you!
I entered a Target store at the same time as another shopper. They had their phone out and were entranced in it. I went to a few different departments, and about 15 minutes later I was at the cashier. That person was still standing there with an empty cart playing with their phone.

This is why people are so "busy" these days. They can't focus on the task at hand and turn the phone off.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,203,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I entered a Target store at the same time as another shopper. They had their phone out and were entranced in it. I went to a few different departments, and about 15 minutes later I was at the cashier. That person was still standing there with an empty cart playing with their phone.

This is why people are so "busy" these days. They can't focus on the task at hand and turn the phone off.

Perhaps the other shopper was in no rush!

I get more annoyed when people at stores get their phone out and don't think to pull off to the side as not to block the aisle.

I use Cartwheel to save money on groceries.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:19 AM

4,866 posts, read 3,694,605 times
When my husband and I lived in WA, we would do this occasionally.

I vividly remember going on a drive and out to the west side of Seattle for dinner.

Got a call from his daughter - we told her where we were and what we were up to "Well why are you doing that???" So after that we would just leave the phones at home. Let them wonder what we were doing. Who needs the comments?

Really?

OMG self-involved children!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:41 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,423,023 times
Well, I'm ready to dump the cellphone. Child's illness is the critical thing keeping me chained to one. I can easily live without one otherwise.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,108,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Never. However, I have the will power to only answer a call if I want too.
Yep.

Though it's fine to leave your phone in your purse or at home as well.

It's a tool, a great and wonderful tool. But in the end, you decide how and when (and if) to use it.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM

15,658 posts, read 26,432,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
People have gone nuts with this smartphone business. Maybe they're trying to make themselves feel more important than they are, having to be 'on call' every minute of every day(?).

I didn't grow up that way - nobody who's an adult now, did. We all had landlines in the house, and when we stepped out - oh well. You couldn't stay in the house all day, waiting for a stupid phone to ring! Most folks with smartphones won't admit they're using them to keep track of Facebook or Instagram. Oh no - they need them for "emergencies"!

What did they do, 10-15-20 years ago?
Aside from work stuff, my smart phone is my computer. I shop on it, I email on it, I surf the web and iplay games.

It doesn't make me more important.

However, when hubby and go out...phone is in my wristlet wallet. I have started wearing a watch, because pulling out a phone and turning on the screen is a pain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships