Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,378,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I always need my calendar with me. For example, if I go to a doctor's appt or get a haircut, I'll need to schedule my next appt on the way out. I honestly don't know how people function without their appt calendar with them. I need something to use for lists and notes. If I have to call AAA or doctor's office unexpectedly, I've got those phone numbers in my contact list. About once a week, I want a camera handy, usually for wildlife. If I'm traveling, I've got maps and a currency converter. Etc. A smartphone/PDA covers all those things, so I don't need a separate appt book, notepad, address book, and calendar. I was an early adopter of the Palm Pilot, and I rarely use my smartphone as a phone.
I get an appointment card whenever I make appointments.

Funny (or not so funny) story:

We were at the mall in a food court. I noticed two tables with adults and children. The one table had the mother of the one child and what looked to be the grandmother of the one child.

The other table had the mom and dad and three children.

The table with the one child both women were busy with their phones. That child was acting up and a bit obnoxious. I think she is desperate for attention. Loud, temper tantrum...you name it. The ladies would address the child's behavior for a second then go back to their phone. I really felt bad for that kid.

The table with the family, the parents were present and not once did I see them on a phone. Those kids were soooo well behaved. Even when an order got messed up, he sat there patiently while the dad got what was wrong fixed. I wanted to go up to them and give them a compliment but didn't. I really should have. I don't think we give compliments enough.

I'm a people watcher and I see this consistently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,265,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post

Funny (or not so funny) story:

We were at the mall in a food court. I noticed two tables with adults and children. The one table had the mother of the one child and what looked to be the grandmother of the one child.

The other table had the mom and dad and three children.

The table with the one child both women were busy with their phones. That child was acting up and a bit obnoxious. I think she is desperate for attention. Loud, temper tantrum...you name it. The ladies would address the child's behavior for a second then go back to their phone. I really felt bad for that kid.

The table with the family, the parents were present and not once did I see them on a phone. Those kids were soooo well behaved. Even when an order got messed up, he sat there patiently while the dad got what was wrong fixed. I wanted to go up to them and give them a compliment but didn't. I really should have. I don't think we give compliments enough.

I'm a people watcher and I see this consistently.
I had a pretty odd experience too similar to this -

i went bowling with my boyfriend and every two lanes shares the seating area. so my boyfriend and i on one lane, and a mom, dad and two little kids on the other lane sharing the same seating area.

The mother sat on her phone THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME. she didn't bowl and she didn't even watch her kids bowl. the dad at least participated. Why even bother going if you are going to be on your phone the whole time.

Then there was a moment where the kids sat down and they were eating some snacks, and both parents were on their phones, and the kids just sat there spacing out. it was SO bizarre. honestly, it was a wake up call for me to remind myself to stop with the phone stuff.

It was so bad, that once they left, another couple came over to my boyfriend and i and expressed how disturbing it was to them as well. so i know we weren't being overly critical.

sad times we live in.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:48 AM

16,469 posts, read 12,694,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
But you need to know what's on your calendar to make the appointment in the first place. And I don't want a bunch of cards to keep up with and sort through.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,378,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But you need to know what's on your calendar to make the appointment in the first place. And I don't want a bunch of cards to keep up with and sort through.
If I know there may be a conflict.....That far out.... I will have those appointments in my head and let them know. If I accidentally double book, I will change the one that has the lesser urgency.

It's not that hard...

Old 07-13-2017, 12:23 PM

44,110 posts, read 44,924,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I recently have been leaving my cell phone home on weekends. I have been seeking a disconnect on weekends and focusing on enjoying the time with my wife and the nice Summer weather. I was in a forest today, and took some moments to not only experience but feel the environment. I went to a friend's later right from there and one was shocked at me choosing to disconnect. I keep it on me at work 5 days a week only for emergencies and to maintain contact with my wife. I feel mentally more clear and do not miss the phone at all. This came very suddenly for me as a decision. I get few calls or texts over the last few years.

My friend says he could never leave the phone behind as he would feel naked without it. He had it in his hand through a whole pay per view sporting event! I do not judge, but am curious- Anyone else partially disconnect with the smartphone? We are so conditioned now to seek or post info moment to moment as a society. It's like the whole world is broadcast live, everyone can be a DJ. People argue a lot on social platforms as well. I may have a different view growing up in the age of payphones and beepers, which was the it thing to have many moons ago.

I still play a little Xbox on weekends, as I am a long term gamer but prefer the outdoors by far.
I understand both you and your friend. What I do is too take my cellphone with me always but when I want to disconnect is to turn it off (although I have it with me in case of emergency).

Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,761,565 times
[quote=bell235;48823827]I had a pretty odd experience too similar to this -

i went bowling with my boyfriend and every two lanes shares the seating area. so my boyfriend and i on one lane, and a mom, dad and two little kids on the other lane sharing the same seating area.

The mother sat on her phone THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME. she didn't bowl and she didn't even watch her kids bowl. the dad at least participated. Why even bother going if you are going to be on your phone the whole time.

Then there was a moment where the kids sat down and they were eating some snacks, and both parents were on their phones, and the kids just sat there spacing out. it was SO bizarre. honestly, it was a wake up call for me to remind myself to stop with the phone stuff.

It was so bad, that once they left, another couple came over to my boyfriend and i and expressed how disturbing it was to them as well. so i know we weren't being overly critical.

[B]sad times we live in./QUOTE]

Very sad times.

I live in Southern CA and for years kids have skateboarded here.

Just about an hour ago I was waiting to make a left hand turn onto a side street from a busy road.

On the sidewalk is a boy about 7 or 8, behind him his father and a younger brother about 5. Father is entanced in his phone, not holding the hand of the 5 year old and here comes the kid on the skateboard not paying attention.

Even though I could have made my turn as i was now clear, something said wait, the kid isn't paying attention and daddy is lost in his phone.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:35 PM

20,213 posts, read 9,726,517 times
I honestly don't think it is too much of an exaggeration to say that Smartphones and computers are largely responsible for the deterioration of MANY parent-child and spousal relationships.

My husband and I have all our phones turned OFF from 6:00 p.m. and later on weeknights. Everyone we care about knows that if they have something important to tell us then, to send an e-mail, as I always check these just before turning in for the night (but not before). The peace and quiet we have obtained as a result of doing this is absolutely wonderful!

Old 07-13-2017, 09:44 PM

572 posts, read 387,062 times
Depends, but for the weekends? the iphone is put away, or at least silenced. in my daily driving car, it has a system where you can press a button if you're in trouble or in an accident. for music in the car, i have satelite radio, terrestrial radio, and an ipod that is always connected to the car. life goes on

Old 07-14-2017, 07:22 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,794,321 times
I like leaving phones behind when I wanted to and I did often. Even when I had a landline, I rarely answered it anyway. To budget, I ditched the landline and kept my cell as it is convenient to have when I travel, etc.

I'd probably have a flip-phone if my job was not tied into having a smart phone. Sometimes during off hours, I need to answer texts or calls quickly depending on a set schedule.

If I lost my cell phone, I'd be upset as I do keep schedules and reminders in it. But if I am separated from it for whatever known reason, I do not miss having it.

Most of this within reason all about balance and some people lack having a balance in their life when it comes to the convenience and use of smart phones/technology. Or they are just lacking in life anyway. That's my opinion, anyway.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,133,913 times
I have a cell phone purely because it's cheaper than a landline.
I treat my cell phone like a landline. It stays on a table in the living room.
I got rid of my TV in the 90's.
I don't use e-mail or social media.
I've never owned a microwave.
I cook from scratch, using real food, 98% of the time.
I pay cash or I don't buy it.
I choose to own only what I need and live very simply.

As a result, I have 99% less stress than most everyone. No anxiety. No feeling of being rushed or pressed for time. My priorities are my own, not other people's priorities for me. I'm debt free. I'm happier than most people I know and I know I'm more content than anyone else I know or that I meet, based purely on general conversations. I also have more time than anyone else I know. (A life without addictions to gadgets and entertainment frees us worlds of time.) I will even go so far as saying that I tend to think more clearly than many do. Why? Because I'm not being bombarded with media and advertising constantly. During conversations with other people, it's easy to see the influence these things have on people that they themselves aren't aware of. It's remarkable to hear all the thoughts people have that aren't their own... but they think are.

That said, am I better than anyone else? Absolutely not! So why say all that?

To encourage others who are wondering if living more simply is really possible.
To show that you don't have to do these things just because everyone else is.
Relationships are more personal and honest when they're had in person, not in texts, posts, tweets, and emails.
To show that you can live with less... and do more.
To show that you can take back control of your own time and priorities.
To prove that some sacrifices reap greater rewards.
And to challenge people to take some time and really examine their lives and how they spend their time and money. What are your priorities? How does the way you spend your time and money reflect your priorities? Does how you currently spend your time and money actually reflect everyone else's demand and priorities? Are there changes you want to make to be the person you really want to be? Are you being overly-influenced, over-stimulated, etc.?

Yes, this topic generated my post because all I ever see are people staring at screens, ears plugged, oblivious to their surroundings.

If people consciously choose to live this way on purpose and are happy, more power to you. My post just offers some alternatives for those interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships