Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:05 PM

3,332 posts, read 2,305,346 times

Advertisements

I disconnect whenever I can (I don't need to be "on" 24/7). I do take the phone with me when I'm out, though, in case of a roadside emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 03:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,757,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Because talking with someone and hearing their responses can be a lot more pleasant than peering at a tiny screen and fumbling with tiny keys. I would also say that most meaningful conversations can't be reduced to a 10 word question or answer.
Exactly. I have to laugh at the poster above you, I have yet to see a 10 word text with questions, just requiring a simple response, other than "running 30 minutes late, see you at 9pm instead"...where "OK" would be your answer, and that is only 9 words.

In fact it seems to draw out the conversation. I see people go back and forth, and had they just called the person would have had an answer much quicker.

I would add with talking you get the tone of the voice. That tells you a lot more than any text would. For example if you're asking a favor or trying to make plans, the tone of the voice and if there is any hesitancy on their part, a text will not do that.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:18 PM

52,527 posts, read 53,095,501 times
I get where the OP is going with this thread. I feel naked when I leave the house without my phone but mostly just for emergencies sake. Another thing is too is if the car breaks down, most phone booths are all but gone. I rarely see them in public anymore. I'm not of the type that has to obsessively check my phone, I carry it on me but again, I don't have any compulsion to always be checking social media or email.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,675,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I recently have been leaving my cell phone home on weekends. I have been seeking a disconnect on weekends and focusing on enjoying the time with my wife and the nice Summer weather. I was in a forest today, and took some moments to not only experience but feel the environment. I went to a friend's later right from there and one was shocked at me choosing to disconnect. I keep it on me at work 5 days a week only for emergencies and to maintain contact with my wife. I feel mentally more clear and do not miss the phone at all. This came very suddenly for me as a decision. I get few calls or texts over the last few years.

My friend says he could never leave the phone behind as he would feel naked without it. He had it in his hand through a whole pay per view sporting event! I do not judge, but am curious- Anyone else partially disconnect with the smartphone? We are so conditioned now to seek or post info moment to moment as a society. It's like the whole world is broadcast live, everyone can be a DJ. People argue a lot on social platforms as well. I may have a different view growing up in the age of payphones and beepers, which was the it thing to have many moons ago.

I still play a little Xbox on weekends, as I am a long term gamer but prefer the outdoors by far.
I carry my cell phone for emergencies, so it wouldn't be safe to leave it at home. However, I don't chat on my cell phone when away from home. I often leave it turned off.

The whole point of leaving home to do something is...I have left and am out doing something. I can't chat, and I sure don't want to try to chat with you, if you're doing something else.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 PM

407 posts, read 373,312 times
I always have it with me and - depending on the situation - will return home to get it if I leave without it. While I do like to have it for emergencies as a phone, I use it more for the "smart" aspect of it. Camera, GPS directions, getting information about my destination, looking up restaurant info when we're out & about in a new place - that sort of thing. When we are at our destination/restaurant/whatever, the phone stays put away most of the time.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,377,511 times
I tend to forget my cell phone. When I do remember, it's usually dead and needs to be put on the charger. I do remember to take it when I have to go somewhere without hubby.

Hubby always has his. Most people know I'm not tied to my phone. If they really want to get ahold of me, call our home line or call hubby.

If they don't want to do that, they text but know that i may not get back to them for a day or so....whenever I think to check my phone. If it's important, they know the other options available.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 5,115,876 times
I turn my cell phone on when I want to make a call, otherwise, it's off. If I go somewhere without my wife I will turn it on in case she calls, that's it. We take it on vacation with us and it only gets turned on to call for a limo when we get back to the home airport. Other than that, it sits on the counter, nice and quiet !! Oh, and I have all the ringers shut off on the land line phone, only way I know there was a call is if the light is blinking.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM

132,254 posts, read 12,392,498 times
I keep it in the glove box, & I do not use it. I only have it in case we break down. I do charge it when driving. I do not respect those who have them molded to their wrists & can't live a moment without them. U get really mad if we are in a concert, in the dark, & some moron has to keep checking the phone. OK, no noise, but it is light pollution. I also think people who take walks in beautiful parks, yakking on the phone are disturbing the peace. Plus, imo, thye look like idiots.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 PM

531 posts, read 459,078 times
The thing is just too big to carry around with me - five inches long. I was told they don't make the four-inch models anymore. I would have to carry it in a front pants pocket and I keep my keys and money there. So I leave it at home and pretend it's an old-fashioned landline, with voicemail.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,398,478 times
I haven't had a Cell Phone for over 5 years!! Don't miss a bit! My family and friends think I'm Crazy and are after me to at least buy some cheap plan and phone!! SMH.. My last visit ( about 4 days ago) I noted everyone ( except my brother) had their phone in their hand and scanning thru texts etc constantly!!

Cell's for me was ONLY used for Emergency.. Never for simply passing on momentary thoughts/opinions/ whatever thought crossed my mind @ the time!! I had a phone number.. call me and talk to me.. hate the 140 character opinion!!

I'm baulking getting one still.. See no need for the extra expense and requirement to keep it in my hand in order to keep up with the latest gossip!! ( Have never ever been a gossiper/in fact HATED it) I have a laptop.. read when it's convenient and comment when it's something I care about... But anybody who knows me.. better call me IF they want a discussion on anything important! Guess, I'm showing my age, eh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships