Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:00 PM

55 posts, read 46,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I personally think the standard is different depending on if you're married or in a serious relationship vs single. If you're single and don't have any significant romantic relationships, do whatever you please, but if you have a significant other and ESPECIALLY a spouse and ESPECIALLY kids in school etc your phone needs to be with you just about all of the time. I can't imagine EVER leaving my phone at home on purpose to where my wife could be trying to get a hold of me for almost the entire day and not be able to do so. She's never done that to me that I can recall, and if she did I'd verbally tear her to shreds for doing it..
I think you're right. Everyone is living a different life.

I should have clarified in my own post that my phone gets left hanging around on the weekend because

1) I am around my fiance, so she doesn't need to get ahold of me. If I happen to step out for a quick second, well. Sometimes I take it with me, sometimes I don't, most of the time my fiance comes with me. If I'm leaving for a longer period of time I take it with me.

2) I have a landline and only my and my fiance's parents, boss and extremely close friends know the number. So if I'm at home and my phone dies, they can reach me that way in case of an emergency.

3) I have no kids.

If I had kids, I can understand keeping it on you all the time. I would.

As for dates without the phone present - well, sometimes it's left at home and sometimes it's taken with and either left in the car or left in a pocket.
It's not like we consciously decide to do something with them. It's just whatever happens. Sometimes I happen to take it, sometimes I don't. It's just not that important to have around with me.
I don't really text people or talk to anyone on the phone much.
I have a few really close friends and I talk to them every so often, but most of the time talk in person (I work with one of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 01:37 PM

8,003 posts, read 5,454,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I understand your point of view. For me, the act of disconnecting is experiencing things while freeing myself of distractions. Especially in quiet areas like hiking trails or parks with my wife.

It might be due to being older
, ...
I am pretty sure I am older than you Glad that I sound much younger!

Old 07-22-2017, 03:30 PM

342 posts, read 390,811 times
I have teenagers and an elderly MIL so it's really hard, but I will do it if I am with my husband and kids and my husband has his phone. Or sometimes I am with just my husband and he has the phone and the kids know to call him in an emergency. I like doing it. I also really enjoy vacationing internationally for the same reason, my cell doesn't work.

If my kids aren't with us, then I pretty much need to be reachable these days. Once I left the phone in car for 20 minutes while I went inside to help my MIL and when I get back to the car, my son had cut has arm badly, was bleedly heaviliy and his friends parents were panicked. Or the time, I got off a plane to find 5 phone messages and 18 texts because another student had shoved my daughter and broken her phone. The school, my daughter, the school again, our emergency contact who the school had called, my mother who somehow got called, my daughter a few more times.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships