Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 AM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,698,389 times

Advertisements

For those of you that don't have, or don't use, a cellphone, do you carry a calendar/appt book? Address book? Calculator? Notepad and pen? Pocket camera? I think a smartphone has readily combined most of those frequently-used things into one device, but we're paying an always-connected penalty for the convenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,747,144 times
People always get very high and mighty when this subject comes up. "rabble rabble we never had phones when we were younger rabble rabble dont need em now rabble rabble".

Now I will conceded that social media is out of control however let's not pretend society is set up to not carry a phone with you. In the past if you needed a phone there were at least 3 or 4 pay phones on every block. Try finding them now. If you do happen to find one in the past you had an address book/little black book to refer to phone numbers. Do you have one? I dont. If you needed to know where you were going every gas station had road maps. Try finding them now. We used to write letters a lot and there was a mailbox on every block. Now you have to go to the post office unless you have no concerns about outgoing mail sitting in your mailbox.

Anymore the world is operating under the assumption everyone has a phone with them so leaving it at home isnt as easy as it once was.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:52 AM

2,584 posts, read 2,082,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
For those of you that don't have, or don't use, a cellphone, do you carry a calendar/appt book? Address book? Calculator? Notepad and pen? Pocket camera? I think a smartphone has readily combined most of those frequently-used things into one device, but we're paying an always-connected penalty for the convenience.
On an iPhone, there is always Airplane mode. Or, just choose to ignore it.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:56 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,087,192 times
If I'm at home, usually is just laying somewhere. I take it with me anywhere I go basically. If something happens I want to be able to get help or get in contact with someone. If I don't want to be on it.. I just don't get on it. I was at the pool all weekend and my phone was just in my beach bag. It was there if I needed it, but I didn't miss out on anything because it was

Old 07-11-2017, 12:14 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,078,732 times
The only time I take my cell phone with me is when I'm going to drive somewhere - in case of an emergency. Otherwise it just stays put in my home.

I have a calendar on the wall to make notations regarding upcoming appointments and/or events.

Do not use FaceBook, no interest whatsoever.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:25 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,005,752 times
Tomorrow, we will be leaving for a Hamfest at an RV park on U.S. 2 in Northwestern Montana. It will be a leisurely trip, we won't get there until Thursday afternoon.
There is no cell service at the RV park, except for an amplified transducer in the pavilion.
So, my phone will be OFF from Thursday evening until late Sunday.
One of my sons (also an Amateur Radio Operator) will be joining us there. He works for an IT company, engaged in military contracts. He has already notified his bosses and co-workers that he will be completely unavailable all weekend.
Of course, in the event of a real emergency, a call can be placed to the RV park office, and the hamfest organizers can put out a call on 146.520 FM Simplex. Maybe we will have a radio on...

Last edited by Redraven; 07-11-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 PM

10,925 posts, read 7,457,680 times
My husband and I both tend to keep our cell phones turned off unless we're making a call.
But one day, we both left our phones home.
That was the day we got in an accident, and couldn't call the cops!

Our landline is still our primary phone.

my Sister-in-law was an early adopter of cell phones, used them constantly for years. Died of a brain tumor.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:04 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,651,428 times
I broke my smartphone and got a smaller, slower, some pages don't load, keyboard phone. It's temporary, or at least I claim it's temporary.

Every time I pick it up to use it, I have this longing to buy another modern smartphone, but I just cannot do it because in the back of my mind, I'm afraid that I will break it again, and there goes another $500-$600. So I'm stuck with this longing every single time. But the bright side is that it's not glued to my hand like my previous, modern smartphone?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 PM

18,146 posts, read 25,353,405 times
I do it all the time when I work on things in my garage or my house projects.
It's pretty hard to plant a tree when you are holding a cell phone

Every since I noticed that video games are extremely addictive, I refuse to play any video game on my phone.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:47 PM

8,088 posts, read 10,113,473 times
Great business idea: "We will help you get disconnected".

Laugh now, but I guarantee you that if it doesn't exist already, it will shortly )sort of like places that remove tattoos). People are sick of being tied to their "phones". The damned thing constantly ringing or buzzing or letting me know I have a new picture of little johnnie eating his first ice cream cone drives people over 14 mad.

It is time to stop it. Perhaps whatever the next generation phone is will be truly "embedded" and you won't need to physically touch the thing. The communication will go right to your brain for later evaluation.

We can only hope. In the meantime, turn it off, leave it home, or otherwise separate real life from the electronic link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships