Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,578,456 times

Advertisements

Ya know...every time I think there can't be anything else to say, the OP comes back to add a bit more to the story.

Methinks someone enjoys being the center of attention - even if it takes a bit of drama to achieve it. Could be the OP and Taco Belle are 2 peas in a pod, competing for center stage.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,579,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So it's not that she brought her own food that is the issue, but what food she brought.
I would think everyone knows it's rude to go to a party (especially family gathering) with just a meal for yourself unless there is an established reason. Do you think fast food even remotely counts as food?

Quote:
And what would be the excuse of she wasn't late? If she had gotten there on time, they would have still been short on chairs.

The family knew in advance she would be late. She probably had something else going on as this dinner was a last minute change.
There wouldn't have been an issue.The OP has expressed several times that there WASN'T a shortage of chairs! Everyone was seated. The girl swooped in and took a chair someone was already sitting in and with a bag of crap to boot!

Bottom line is she was doubly rude to all present but especially the OP and Grandma who provided the meal. If it were me, I'd have taken her aside and explained how manners work. Tell her the food can go back to her car or in the trash.

But then, no one I know would even dream of doing this.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:12 PM

89,095 posts, read 85,744,834 times
Quote:
So it's not that she brought her own food that is the issue, but what food she brought.
I think it's that she brought food for only HERSELF. Who does that? Now I have never eaten Taco Bell myself, so maybe it's food of the gods and I am erroneously thinking it's disgusting slop. So why didn't she buy enough of this wonderful stuff for everyone to share at Christmas? It still would have been weird, but it would have been nicer and shown that it really was just that she didn't like ham.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,316,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ya know...just when I think there can't be anything else to say, the OP comes back to add a bit more to the story.

Methinks someone enjoys being the center of attention - even if it takes a bit of drama to achieve it.
Ya, weird.

If the OP had said in the very first post that her plate was actually at her seat, and that SD actually moved it out of the way to sit there, my answer would have been different. Somehow, I think if that's what actually happened, that's what she would have said in the first place.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:17 PM

18,613 posts, read 16,046,642 times
I don't understand this:

"there wasn't enough of us to use the dining by room, so we decided to all sit in the kitchen."

Could this be a typo of sorts and OP instead meant to say, "the dining room table wasn't large enough to accommodate all of us, so we decided to all sit in the kitchen." ??

Because how could there not be 'enough' people to use the dining room table? There could be too many people to fit there, but there's no such thing as too few people to use that table.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:20 PM

26,659 posts, read 13,880,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I don't understand this:

"there wasn't enough of us to use the dining by room, so we decided to all sit in the kitchen."

Could this be a typo of sorts and OP meant to say, "the dining room table wasn't large enough to accommodate all of us, so we decided to all sit in the kitchen." ??

That is another mystery that the op has never bothered to clarify. In some posts it sounds like the dining room was too large for the gathering but then in others it's way to small. Maybe that's why this thread is so interesting. So many mysteries to solve.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,316,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That is another mystery that the op has never bothered to clarify. In some posts it sounds like the dining room was too large for the gathering but then in others it's way to small. Maybe that's why this thread is so interesting. So many mysteries to solve.
She clarified (?) later that she meant there weren't enough people to use the dining room in addition to the kitchen.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,546,239 times
The OP is either intentionally obtuse and withholds pertinent information, or she's actually that scatterbrained and difficult to communicate with due to some sort of social deficiency - who knows? Either way though, it must be a nightmare to try to coordinate anything with her in real life. The story keeps changing, morphing, shifting - and we are getting pertinent, very pertinent, facts 30 plus pages into the saga. Imagine trying to have a genuine, mutual planning session or heart to heart talk with her in real life. (Head explodes.)

I originally felt more empathy for the OP, though I did think she was making too much out of the situation. I don't, after all, begrudge it when people talk out their feelings, even if the situation they're mulling over seems to be a minimal sort of thing. But after reading through these responses and noting the OP's odd way of presenting information (I'll leave it at that), I'm really beginning to feel very sorry for the step daughter. She can't possibly win this battle with her step mom - but she might win the war if and when her daddy decides to get involved.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:25 PM

18,613 posts, read 16,046,642 times
Okay if I already had a plate with food at a spot at a table and someone/anyone came in and shoved my plate aside and took my seat, yes I would say something right then and there. "Hey <name of person>, that's my plate and I've been sitting there. There are seats though right over here...at the island, where you and <name of fiance> will have plenty of room. I'm sure you understand."

That might be considered rude by many, but then again if you don't speak up you don't have a chance. People are not mind readers, even when they should be.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:29 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,306,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I would think everyone knows it's rude to go to a party (especially family gathering) with just a meal for yourself unless there is an established reason. Do you think fast food even remotely counts as food?

There wouldn't have been an issue.The OP has expressed several times that there WASN'T a shortage of chairs! Everyone was seated. The girl swooped in and took a chair someone was already sitting in and with a bag of crap to boot!

Bottom line is she was doubly rude to all present but especially the OP and Grandma who provided the meal. If it were me, I'd have taken her aside and explained how manners work. Tell her the food can go back to her car or in the trash.

But then, no one I know would even dream of doing this.
While I don't agree with you, your post raises some interesting questions.

How does the Grandma feel? Considering that she cooked half of the meal including the offending ham, she should have been upset too, right?

I may not get the truth, but I thought I'd ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ya know...every time I think there can't be anything else to say, the OP comes back to add a bit more to the story.

Methinks someone enjoys being the center of attention - even if it takes a bit of drama to achieve it. Could be the OP and Taco Belle are 2 peas in a pod, competing for center stage.
Yep. At this point, this thread is entertainment rather than a problem to be solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Ya, weird.

If the OP had said in the very first post that her plate was actually at her seat, and that SD actually moved it out of the way to sit there, my answer would have been different. Somehow, I think if that's what actually happened, that's what she would have said in the first place.
To be sure. Anything to make Taco Belle look bad and the OP look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.