Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,216,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Your house, your rules. Find a nice way of telling them and dispose of it.
I'm a vegetarian and I often buy and cook some of my own food when I visit by brother and his wife, whose diet is totally unlike mine. They've never thrown my food out because it's "their house" and the "rule" is to eat meat.

The OP simply needs to remind her in-laws that her child is being raised Jewish (I assume) and isn't to be fed meat or shellfish. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,631,157 times
Since you said you don't keep kosher they're probably under the impression you just don't like pork. Are they supposed to be mind readers? And if you don't keep kosher why the objection to bacon? It's mighty tasty stuff.

I can see you're in NZ. Do they even know what kosher is? You're probably thefirst jewish person they've ever met, almost certainly the first who keeps kosher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Maybe the child is being raised Jewish I think bringing the bacon in was quite ignorant.
Being Jewish doesn't mean no bacon. Jewish plus kosher means no bacon, but the O
p told her family she doesn't keep kosher.

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 02-11-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,875,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Says who? I have two friends who married Jewish girls and neither are raising their children Jewish.
That is the Jewish religion. Your heritage is passed through your mother. If you have a child born with a Jewish father and Christian mother, the child is not recognized as Jewish. He or she must convert to the faith.

So your friends who married Jewish girls, have children that would be recognized by the faith.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:35 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,028,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
So I don't keep kosher, but I do my best to avoid eating pork.

The in laws are staying with us, and have apparently bought bacon (and put it in my refrigerator). They, of course, know I'm Jewish, and have always made an effort to not serve pork when I'm over at their house. Which is really more than I've ever asked for, though if I knew pork chops were on the menu, I would make other dining arrangements.

Anyway, should I be offended by this bacon? I assume it means they'll be attempting to feed it to my two year old while I'm at work.
If you aren't really kosher and haven't made it clear to them what that means and what the rules in the house are, then there is no reason for them to think that some bacon in the fridge would bother you. It sounds like the pork for you is not a hard and fast rule to begin with, so I don't think it's fair to blame them for the bacon. Let's face it - bacon is really really good stuff, and it's understandable that they would want to introduce the baby to it. My Jewish mother was the first (and so far only) person to give my son bacon. She just wanted to see him enjoy it (but it was a disappointment - the texture made it impossible for him to chew it up enough at that age, so he just chewed and chewed and eventually spit it out).

Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,734,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Why can't jews eat bacon?
Because God hates pork and shellfish silly.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,875,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Because God hates pork and shellfish silly.
Totally rude and uncalled for. Not. Funny.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,466,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Who brings people bacon?
I have friends that would marry a man on the spot for a slab of hickory smoked!
Are your inlaws southern? Cuz they probably did it out of love.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,466,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I have friends that would marry a man on the spot for a slab of hickory smoked!
Are your inlaws southern? Cuz they probably did it out of love.
good post!!

maple bacon by any other name is still maple bacon

Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,028,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good post!!

maple bacon by any other name is still maple bacon
Why would you ruin good bacon with maple?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,658,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Says who? I have two friends who married Jewish girls and neither are raising their children Jewish.
Says Jewish LAW!

Doesn't matter, if their Mom is Jewish, they are Jewish. Only TWO ways to be Jewish, have a Mom who is Jewish, or convert. Doesn't matter if you are practicing or not.

So yes, your two friends kids are Jewish as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Long answer, nobody knows, but there are several suggestions:
Um, I know.

G-d said of the "beasts of the earth" (AKA mammals) that to be kosher they MUST have cloven hooves and chew their cud.

Pigs DO have cloven hooves, but don't chew their cud, so they are not kosher, while cows, deer and bison are fair game.

Fish must have fins and scales, so tuna is fine, but catfish or crab isn't.

Birds that forbidden usually include scavengers or birds of prey, but chicken, duck, geese, and turkey are fine.

Also some insects such as locusts are kosher as well (if your really hungry!)

All other insects, rodents, reptiles and amphibians are off limits.

Also, no drinking of blood (despite what Nazi Germany circa 1940"s thought), no eating of the sciatic nerve, no eating inner fat (brown fat), no meat and daily (specifically boiling the kid in the milk of the mother), and separate kitchen ware (pots pans, plates, utensils, etc...) for meat and dairy; just to name a few.

Now I don't keep kosher, but I do eat kosher foods, I just don't have two sets of dishes, and I do eat cheese on my chicken (my old Rabbi and I argued over this very point, the new one somewhat agrees with me.), since chickens have no milk, they should be ok together.

That was probably WAY more than you wanted to know, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships