Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM

31,769 posts, read 40,938,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
So I don't keep kosher, but I do my best to avoid eating pork.

The in laws are staying with us, and have apparently bought bacon (and put it in my refrigerator). They, of course, know I'm Jewish, and have always made an effort to not serve pork when I'm over at their house. Which is really more than I've ever asked for, though if I knew pork chops were on the menu, I would make other dining arrangements.

Anyway, should I be offended by this bacon? I assume it means they'll be attempting to feed it to my two year old while I'm at work.
if you don't keep kosher, why do you care? its so weird how people will pick and choose stuff to believe as if religious beliefs are a menu of options for you to choose which ones to follow and which to not follow. I think my mom sometimes pretends there is an issue with ham for her but its so fake. she will eat pork in lots of dishes, but I guess ham is too obvious in her mind. I have an aunt on the jewish holidays that will make a stink over non-koshers food at the holidays. so im not kosher any other day of the year but today I need to pretend I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM

4,862 posts, read 8,002,298 times
Is it Turkey bacon? I think in situations like this just say no pork in the home. People do it with smokers all the time. Check people even have people remove shoes at the door.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,849,455 times
I think people are over complicating this. If someone is not a devout religious person, some of the 'rules' can seem quite silly. Add in-laws to the mix, who tend to always think they know best and are ingrained in their ways, not being able to eat bacon bc god says so seems quite silly.
I'm not here to judge what parts of religion are right, wrong, indifferent, etc but to an outsider or non believer, some of the teachings can seem as far fetched and relevant as tales of the boogeyman.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 PM

9,026 posts, read 13,923,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Everywhere where WE are, but i learned from being on City-Data that a lot of people in parts of this country don't know any Jews.

And the OP is in New Zealand, where there are 6000 Jews out of 4.5 million people.
Me and my big fat Jersey mouth didn't even realize that she was in NZ.

I guess I just forget most parts of the USA aren't as diverse as NJ,hence the replies.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 PM

89,095 posts, read 85,744,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I think people are over complicating this. If someone is not a devout religious person, some of the 'rules' can seem quite silly. Add in-laws to the mix, who tend to always think they know best and are ingrained in their ways, not being able to eat bacon bc god says so seems quite silly.
I'm not here to judge what parts of religion are right, wrong, indifferent, etc but to an outsider or non believer, some of the teachings can seem as far fetched and relevant as tales of the boogeyman.
It doesn't matter. It's about respect. I have a coworker who is a Jain, a member of a sect of Hinduism that respects all life. They don't kill bugs. He is not only a vegetarian, as would be expected, but he won't eat potatoes or root vegetables because by pulling it up and taking the root or tuber to eat it, you are taking a life. Yes, there is a part of me that thinks "killing a potato" is silly, but I wouldn't bring a bag of Yukon Golds into his house and plop it on his counter, either.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,583,705 times
1. Maybe they don't think of bacon as "pork." To some people, ham is just another lunch meat and pork means pork chops, roast pork, pork loin.
2. Bacon is addictive. I don't eat pork as a general rule, because pigs are very intelligent creatures. They're smarter than dogs, and I wouldn't eat my dog. However, I do eat humanely raised bacon…occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships