Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,562,525 times

Advertisements

I would ask them if they brought it for themselves and if you don't want your child to have it then kindly ask that they not feed it to them. IMO I would have asked before I brought any food to someone's home without knowing their dietary restrictions. The other thing I was thinking if they really wanted bacon why not go out for breakfast and get it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,993,309 times
I'd ask them what the bacon is for and remind them that its not a big seller to Jews. Then dispose of it or get a Styrofoam cooler they can keep it in if its for their personal consumption while you aren't there. Make them buy their own pan to so the seasoning doesn't taint your cookware.

Or give the bacon to me.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,952,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You avoid pork. Why does your child have to avoid pork?

This is less a food issue, and more of a relationship issue. What does your spouse say? Have you told your in-laws you do not eat pork? Have you told them you do not allow pork products in your home?

It's fairly common for people to raise their children with their religious beliefs, so it's understandable that she might not want her child eating pork. I know people who wouldn't want their child eating bacon because of the nitrites and we would just think they were being health-conscious. Either way, her kid, her choice what to feed him.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM

19,975 posts, read 30,332,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Why can't jews eat bacon?
they think that pig is a filthy animal,,
the muslims dont do pig-roasts either

Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM

358 posts, read 513,862 times
Your sure it's not beef bacon?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 PM

16,178 posts, read 32,576,486 times
Mod Note: Moved from Food & Drink since this is about Relationships and not food itself.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM

986 posts, read 1,875,353 times
I have been a vegetarian for 8 years and you'd be surprised how people in my life try to serve me meat, always forgetting that I don't eat it. People I'm really close with too, like my boyfriend of 8 years' parents and my aunt. Your in-laws probably totally forgot about the no-pork thing. It's probably not a personal thing. They probably genuinely forgot that you don't eat pork products... Just talk to them and clarify what their intentions for the bacon are.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM

22,701 posts, read 47,906,544 times
double posted

Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM

22,701 posts, read 47,906,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
So I don't keep kosher, but I do my best to avoid eating pork.
So you are not in the least bit strict about it... 'doing your best' to avoid means you do eat it!

They probably thought they can bring it for themselves. Asking THEM would give you an answer... we are just guessing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
Anyway, should I be offended by this bacon? I assume it means they'll be attempting to feed it to my two year old while I'm at work.
Why would you be offended when you admit to the occasional pork?
And why assume they are planning to feed it to your child?

Sounds like more than the bacon is an issue...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,023,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So you are not in the least bit strict about it... 'doing your best' to avoid means you do eat it!

They probably thought they can bring it for themselves. Asking THEM would give you an answer... we are just guessing!

Why would you be offended when you admit to the occasional pork?
And why assume they are planning to feed it to your child?

Sounds like more than the bacon is an issue...
If only I could rep you again Pitt Chick...

OP, your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You state you don't keep a kosher home, and yet are possibly offended that your in-laws want some bacon for their breakfast? I'd be happy they were thoughtful enough to contribute some groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships