Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,538,433 times

Advertisements

I would just try and ignore it. If no one in your household ever ate pork, it would be a bit different but still wouldn't be worth picking a huge fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,429,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
So I don't keep kosher, but I do my best to avoid eating pork.

The in laws are staying with us, and have apparently bought bacon (and put it in my refrigerator). They, of course, know I'm Jewish, and have always made an effort to not serve pork when I'm over at their house. Which is really more than I've ever asked for, though if I knew pork chops were on the menu, I would make other dining arrangements.

Anyway, should I be offended by this bacon? I assume it means they'll be attempting to feed it to my two year old while I'm at work.
Well, assume that they just are clueless. After all, they've been cognizant of the issue in the past. That's generally the best course of action. Sometimes people just need to be reminded that others don't necessarily think the way they do.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM

11,180 posts, read 10,602,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
As for to the OP, if the OP is a female then her child is automatically Jewish; if the OP is male, then the child will have to convert to be Jewish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Says who? I have two friends who married Jewish girls and neither are raising their children Jewish.
That's your friends' choice. Cav Scout wife is correct. Had your friends opted to raise their children in the Jewish faith, the children would not have to convert. Whereas if the father but not the mother was Jewish, the children would have to convert.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,097,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's in the Bible, along with a prohibition of eating shellfish. It was probably for health originally, because pork could cause trichinosis.
Years ago I worked with a very Orthodox Jew. Another co-worker was talking to us about his thoughts of why Jews don't eat pork. Of course, he made the same statement you just did....it was because of health concerns. The religous co-worker simply turned around and said.."I dont eat pork because God said not to". Shut the other guy right up.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,511,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Years ago I worked with a very Orthodox Jew. Another co-worker was talking to us about his thoughts of why Jews don't eat pork. Of course, he made the same statement you just did....it was because of health concerns. The religous co-worker simply turned around and said.."I dont eat pork because God said not to". Shut the other guy right up.
Hedgehog is speculating on the reason why the bible says to not eat pork. Over 2,000 years ago, people got sick.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,161,696 times
Just to be fair here, the reason the OP may not have returned is that her thread got moved and if she is new perhaps she cannot find it!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,365,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Just to be fair here, the reason the OP may not have returned is that her thread got moved and if she is new perhaps she cannot find it!
That happened to me with my first post. I didn't know what happened to my question. Someone sent me a PM and told me where to find my post because posters were answering it and I wasn't responding.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,235,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You avoid pork. Why does your child have to avoid pork?

This is less a food issue, and more of a relationship issue. What does your spouse say? Have you told your in-laws you do not eat pork? Have you told them you do not allow pork products in your home?
Maybe the child is being raised Jewish I think bringing the bacon in was quite ignorant.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,097,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hedgehog is speculating on the reason why the bible says to not eat pork. Over 2,000 years ago, people got sick.
Guess you didnt understand my point. My orthodox Jewish co-worker was not speculating on "why" becuase there was no "why"..it was simply a command of god.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,511,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Guess you didnt understand my point. My orthodox Jewish co-worker was not speculating on "why" becuase there was no "why"..it was simply a command of god.
I got the point. For you to get my point, I should have elaborated that it doesn't apply to people who believe the bible was God breathed or whatever they call it. The rest of us are going to apply logic to the reason it's in the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships