Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times

Advertisements

OP I don't mean this as rude but my response is so maybe you can look within yourself and see that you need to change your outlook on things in your life and how you deal with people and issues that come up in your life. Possibly therapy to identify why you respond the way you do and the why behind it all. I went back on some of your posts and you seem to have problems with people and events in general. You had a problem with your boss and lunch, resentment with family, your neighbors, the doctors office, I could go on. In life sometimes you need to go with the flow and pick your battles or try to fit into a situation even if it does not sound pleasant. In many of your posts you seem to make a bigger deal out of things then needed. If I had neighbor issues which I have actually I went over and talked to them in a calm manner and you know what we ended up being friends. If I were to of gotten angry I think it would of just made things worse. Like you I dislike sushi though sometimes they have simple things that are ok but I still would go because my focus would be the people and event. If you always look at the negative that will be what you focus on but if you can fight the positive in things it makes life better in general.
Lastly your name is angrymillionaire and many of your posts seem angry from feeling resentment towards family and divorce issues. Have you thought of therapy? Also if you are a millionaire and are so concerned with 50 dollars and in your other posts really watching money to the extreme I would identify why. I can understand watching your money but when it becomes extreme often there is more to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
$50 a plate? That seems way too high. My favorite Japanese buffet restaurant charges $22 a person for lunch and $32 at dinner time.

Is this really a networking event or just a dinner party? And maybe the VIPs invited aren't being charged?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Lastly your name is angrymillionaire and many of your posts seem angry from feeling resentment towards family and divorce issues. Have you thought of therapy? Also if you are a millionaire and are so concerned with 50 dollars and in your other posts really watching money to the extreme I would identify why. I can understand watching your money but when it becomes extreme often there is more to it.
Old money rich people stay rich by minding their expenses. The other extreme is the typical lottery winner blowing through their millions in a few short years. Shrug.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
$50 a plate? That seems way too high. My favorite Japanese buffet restaurant charges $22 a person for lunch and $32 at dinner time.

Is this really a networking event or just a dinner party? And maybe the VIPs invited aren't being charged?
Of course the VIPs aren't being charged! They may even be getting paid. Why does it matter?

It seems some people have a very limited understanding or ability to comprehend the subtleties of networking. It's a $50 (now $75) fee for a chance to go and shake hands with the mayor and whomever else and give your 30 second elevator pitch. When else are you going to get the chance?

If they came out and stated that there was a $50 fee to meet the mayor, that would be tacky.

I find it hard to believe the OP can make it this far in life and not understand the basics of human interaction.

Conclusion: OP, it's you.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The sushi is not the point, op.
I guess I didn't need so many words.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No it is not tacky.

This is a WORK event that is being catered. They shouldn't have to pay for you. This isn't a celebration so why should they pay for you? If you feel strongly, email the son back, mention to him that you do not eat Sushi that they should not order any for you. Then you can ask if you can chip in for appetizers and drinks.

Maybe they will still let you go, maybe they won't.

As for your self-righteous unfounded anger over a perfectly reasonable request, get over it. You should be grateful you were invited at all.
It's really tacky. If it were a work event, an employer would pay/ Michael would expense the meal to his employer/ or deduct it as a business expense on his taxes, assuming he was self-employed.

OP, there is nothing you can do about it now. Just go and get your money's worth from networking.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
The second you said sushi, I was like, I'm out! Can't stand the stuff. That's why I wouldn't go, personally. As for the tackiness factor, I think I misunderstood because it didn't sound like a work thing, it sounded like a personal party from the way you described it. If it's a personal party then I think it's tacky. But for work functions, I've always had the experience that the company paid for dinners.
That's what i read into as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Old money rich people stay rich by minding their expenses. The other extreme is the typical lottery winner blowing through their millions in a few short years. Shrug.
Please. Old money would certainly not complain over a $50 sushi NETWORKING dinner.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
It's really tacky. If it were a work event, an employer would pay/ Michael would expense the meal to his employer/ or deduct it as a business expense on his taxes, assuming he was self-employed.

OP, there is nothing you can do about it now. Just go and get your money's worth from networking.
You are wrong.

Michael is not her employer it is a networking event. People pay to go to these work-related events in many fields. He isn't trying to wine and dine clients here, he is hosting a networking opportunity for peers. He should absolutely not have to foot the bill for the catering.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
I understand very little of what the OP is trying to say, sorry...the grammar and sentence structure is bizarre.

But I'm also having a hard time believing this 'event,' now $75 apparently(?), is completely legit. Is it MLM by chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships