Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,615,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I dont mind paying for myself at a work catered event. I just mind being told to pay $50-plate for Sushi which I do not even like At %$50-plate I should be able to choose what I like to eat. Thats why IMO this should have been a restaurant even then I would have had steak & lobster & crab or Ribs etc

But to be forced to eat what you dont like for $50/plate...no son!!
Funny, how halfway thru the story I'm thinkin 'this sounds like somethin angrymillionaire would write', and lo n behold here ya are. That was before I checked to see who started this stupid thread.

If you don't want to go, don't! No reason to call them names. They'll probably have a better time without the perpetual complainer present anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Thanks everyone for responding. After the price went up from 50 to 75, I politely declined. At that point I could not be bothered to take the whole thing seriously at all.
´
My only regret is that I feel I cancelled too early. When the emails were sent around, you could see who else was invited so I spoke to 3 people I know who were invited and they were all equally offended. One was a pregnant woman who looked ready to pop and she was complaining about being invited to a Sushi dinner when they knew she was pregnant and a vegeterian and she was asking for advice about haggling for drinks only, coffee since old boy knocked her up. Initially that was my plan too but after posting here and discussing with you guys, I read it would be seen as `haggling`` In hindsight I should have played passive aggressive, waited till everyone cancelled then accepted, knowing darn well there would be no party. Then I would not have looked bad. I have since politely declined.

Knocked up lady wound up calling Mikey´s tardy son and asking to go to a restaurant instead. She could not reach him, left a message. I was there when she called, and was throwing the imaginary popcorn LOL. We´ll see if they accet the restaurant invitation.

At this point, this is so embarassing, after hearing these 3 people ramble about it, IMO Michael´s family should save face and pay for the darn event.
You sure don't talk like an educated person, certainly not a lawyer - well maybe a bottom feeder.
How come you're always talking about 'me' or 'I', yet you have said you had a significant other. What happened to him or her? If you have an SO, people usually say "we" taking their partner into consideration, because they are a team. You're flying solo, aren't ya.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The sushi is not the point, op.
I ain't buyin it. Nobody would serve just sushi, without another option, and expect people to pay for it. This is another fictitious story made up by yours truly because she has nothing better to do.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM

11,180 posts, read 10,597,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat any insight or advice.

1) I am skeptical of these "networking" events anyway - lead exchanges, too, for that matter.

2) That being said, will your company reimburse you for the expense? If so, then I'd probably go.
If you had bothered to read the thread, you'd have learned that networking events=paid attendance by folks who are self-employed, independent contractors, etc. IOW there is no company to reimburse expenses. Pretty simple concept.

3) Just because people are INVITED doesn't mean they're going to actually attend. Before you commit to possibly wasting both time and money, try to find out who is actually ATTENDING. And while you're at it, find out if this is some sort of "lead generating" group or some other sort of "networking" group that charges membership dues. Again, if you had bothered to read the thread, you'd see this was addressed. Peace out.

I hate being set up for a sale, even for free. But it REALLY ticks me off to be set up and have to pay for it at the same time. Say what? You're dealing with some heavy stuff? No quarrel but fail to see how this has anything to do with the OP's stated situation.
Sleep well.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 AM

9,889 posts, read 11,862,309 times
It is very apparent that the OP and some others, are not really involved in the business world and have no idea of what this is really about. A sushi party, is just appetizers and drinks. It is not a meal. You are not going out to dinner, and need a choice of what is served. The one that hosts the get together, should not have to pay all the costs for such an event. It costs to have someone cater such an event, and the $50 is to spread the costs to the people that attend.

You attend such an event if you can get an invite, to meet and greet people that can be important to your business and personally. You are not going out to dinner, and need a choice of what is served. Most businessmen/women do not get the chance to meet the heavyweights and get an opportunity to get to know them. Most people that could use the contacts, never get invited to such an event. You should consider you are lucky to get the opportunity this type of get together offers you to make good solid connections.

Instead of getting angry, you should realize what this type of event is, and pony up your entrance fee. And thank the host for thinking of you. One contact developed at the event, will be worth many times the entrance fee.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Are you that worked up that you need to post from a hospital on a tiny phone screen

Lucky relative you have there.
My grandmother is in and out of consciousness and one of us tries to be here at all times in case she wakes up. I'm not going to lie. When she is unconscious for hours and hours it gets tedious. I use my phone/ipad to pass the time or to try and stay awake. I don't like to use the tv because I'm worried it will keep her roommate awake.

I am not sure how that makes me "worked up" or why your implying that we are mistreating my grandmother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships