Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,962,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you read the OP's thread about her neighbors taking her fruit and parking in front of her house, you would have a good understanding of her thought processes. Petty and resentful doesn't begin to describe it.

They did not ""take"" fruit they stole. So you think its okay to go to someone´s house with an empty bucket so you can ``take`` aka steal fruit without asking.

And neighbours have the right to park in front of my space

SouthernBelleinUtah I see we dont have much in common. I do however remember you giving me great advice on a headache thread. I don´t hold grudges I hope I see you there more often. Matter of fact I´ll send u a pm about chronic headaches seeing you are so knowledgeable about those!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I agree. This is common in some fields and for some non-profits, too. I have been to networking dinners hosted in a private home where I paid to attend. Sometimes dinner, sometimes a cocktail reception. In my experience, it's well worth an entrance price (and $50 is not out of line for dinner) if you will meet people influential in your community, potential customers, or even peers you could potentially work with.

I bought a car at a particular dealership once because I met the manager of the business office at a women's business dinner and liked her. That dinner was held in someone's home. She represented her business well so I was predisposed to think positively of them. Had other factors not been favorable I wouldn't have but, but by the same token, I probably wouldn't have checked out that dealership across town had I not met her at the party. So the entrance fee was worth it to her. She later sent one of her co-workers to my store to buy furniture from me.

At an event when I lived in Pittsburgh I met some fellow freelancers I teemed with to bid on some proposal projects we would not have gotten alone. It was lucrative for all of us and we did favors for each other for years. Worth every penny I paid for that ticket.

That said, the OP who posted this question is argumentative by nature judging from other posts I've read and is quick to judge things ... in possible not an accurate way. So I'd take this outrage and the accompanying insults with a grain of salt.
Yes I am a lawyer by profession went to Harvard after all then eventually moved on to my current profession, where i lied about my experience then got hired So yes I´m argumentative by profession.

But in my real ife I got tired of it.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:46 PM

kikiki so after all the retributions I got here, I would like to think Mike and his crusty a88 family are members here.

For one they sent me an apology about not sending the whole menu, after which they included the name of the restaurant from which they are catering as well as the menu. Then get this an email about an increase in prices from 50 to 75.

its official, i´m not going to eat raw fish at 75 a plate considering i would not pay a penny

Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
kikiki so after all the retributions I got here, I would like to think Mike and his crusty a88 family are members here.

For one they sent me an apology about not sending the whole menu, after which they included the name of the restaurant from which they are catering as well as the menu. Then get this an email about an increase in prices from 50 to 75.

its official, i´m not going to eat raw fish at 75 a plate considering i would not pay a penny
It is probably for the best, it is not likely you would represent your business interests well.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Wow this thread is a hot mess.

To the OP, stay home. If you have never heard of paying for an industry event, you aren't working in the professional world. Even worse, bringing your SO who isn't in the same field?

You weren't invited to a party but to a paid network event.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:02 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,423,100 times
Two things come to mind:

Could you tell the host that sushi doesn't agree with you and ask if there is an alternative?

If it's going to be sushi, is it worth the (now) $75 a plate for you to meet the people there?

I believe you stated that it's your SO's relative, is there any way for your SO to go through family channels to reach an understanding?

Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,222,395 times
Will you meet people that are beneficial to your career? Will you be able to look at the $50 PP as an investment? Will you be able to attend and not behave like it matters about the fact that you don't like the food? If the answer to any of these is "no" - don't go. If the answer to the first two are "yes" and the last "no" - you need to re-think exactly how you plan to advance in life.

My beloved late father-in-law gave my adolescent son golf lessons for Christmas one year. His comment was that he will advance his career networking - and needed to know how to golf. We can argue whether golf is that important in today's world - but the real lesson is that networking is key.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,912,877 times
$50 a plate?

I would reply to the son's email and say that you're not sure how many "plates" of sushi you'll eat so please put it on your tab. Don't forget to say thank you.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,507,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You missed her point entirely. She is upset that she was not told about the $50 right at the beginning. It frankly does seem expensive for just sushi and no other food items. You need to get your conceited nose out of the air and come down to earth with people that respect value and getting accurate information and not wanting surprises. Her concern is justified and there is nothing self righteous about it to anyone with common sense.
Perhaps "Michael" assumed she was savvy in the ways things usually worked in the big leagues and didn't think he needed to spell out that there would be a per plate charge. Sushi can be very expensive and when you consider there will be drinks, appetizers, then I don't see that as an amount that's really out of line. If she can make important business contacts, the $50 will be well worth it, no matter if she decides to eat or not. On that note, I would suggest OP think about some type of sushi she can at least try. Maybe she doesn't want tuna or other slices of raw fish, but they have various rolls and other things that aren't so extreme. Unfortunately, the world often operates by a "who's in the club?" mentality and her excluding herself because she won't try what everyone else is eating may not be the best strategy.

In short, OP, if you don't want to go, just say something came up and you're so sorry. I wouldn't make a big scene out of asking the host if you can just eat appetizers and pay less, or whatever. If this is to establish contacts with big wigs, the last thing you want to do is establish yourself in everyone's minds as the girl who gets all worked up over what's for dinner. Either show up and fully participate or don't.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,214,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Perhaps "Michael" assumed she was savvy in the ways things usually worked in the big leagues and didn't think he needed to spell out that there would be a per plate charge. Sushi can be very expensive and when you consider there will be drinks, appetizers, then I don't see that as an amount that's really out of line. If she can make important business contacts, the $50 will be well worth it, no matter if she decides to eat or not. On that note, I would suggest OP think about some type of sushi she can at least try. Maybe she doesn't want tuna or other slices of raw fish, but they have various rolls and other things that aren't so extreme. Unfortunately, the world often operates by a "who's in the club?" mentality and her excluding herself because she won't try what everyone else is eating may not be the best strategy.

In short, OP, if you don't want to go, just say something came up and you're so sorry. I wouldn't make a big scene out of asking the host if you can just eat appetizers and pay less, or whatever. If this is to establish contacts with big wigs, the last thing you want to do is establish yourself in everyone's minds as the girl who gets all worked up over what's for dinner. Either show up and fully participate or don't.
I agree with your last sentence. Either show up and fully participate or don't. Eating an hour before at a favorite fast food place will solve the appetite/food issue and she can then nibble slowly on the sushi (and spit it out in the restroom if necessary) and have beverages to wash it down. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships