Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:36 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What does "you don't got to them" mean?

Also, "these events are in many field?"

Shouldn't you be better at writing if you are a teacher?

Ah, well, it's all just further testimony that education here is in dire need of repair.

At any rate, the OP is too smart to pay what she feels is an inappropriate fee for what is dubiously dubbed a "networking event." Good for her!

You have a nice day, now. I'll let you have the last word if it helps you feel better.

I apologize for my typos. I am at the hospital with a relative so I am posting from my phone.

I'm not really surprised you can't understand the OP if you can't understand a few hundred words with two typos. Really it says far more about you and your lack if reading comprehension than it does about me.

Btw you and the OP are clearly two peas in a pod. She is a "lawyer" who uses the word "heiffer" in most of her posts and you, a "reporter", think she is smart. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,272,013 times
/me pats the bunny on the head

Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,272,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
/me pats the bunny on the head
Huh?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,781,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
When I go to someone´s house for a free dinner I typically bring something eg flowers, wine etc. If you were to go to a paid event at someone´s house, are you still supposed to bring something.
I cannot even figure out how you are relating a hostess gift when invited for dinner -- with a get together which is for networking.

You are just miffed cause you thought you were being feted as part of a close inner circle and come to find out . . . you are just being invited to a networking event.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM

41 posts, read 103,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I guess what I'm saying is that normally I'd invite tacky invites like this but I might meet powerful people if I go =always a good thing but since I do not eat Sushi I can not justify spending $50/plate for a meal I do not eat/enjoy.

I do not know how to diplomatically handle this? Que??
Looks like you answered your own question. Looks like you're also a very stuck-up person by how you continually feel the need to tell everyone how much you hate sushi - it's like a kid throwing a temper tantrum "I hate sushi, I hate sushi, I hate sushi!" This is no different than weddings, you don't get a whole menu to choose from, it is food they decided to have specially prepared for the occasion. How do you diplomatically handle this? You either pay for the food and go to the party, or you don't pay anything Those are the only options you have, simple. If you want to meet those people, you pay the fee, and deal with it. There is no "go to the party and pay nothing" option.

On the last note, you should stop calling your partner "well bred," humans are not dogs.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,038,259 times
Yum sushi! For the record (and I didn't read this whole thread so forgive me), there is sushi made with cooked ingredients, like shrimp, smoked salmon, crab, and so on. Also some sushi is made with no meat and is delicious also!

Just go- $50 for that kind of networking is nothing. It's probably really good sushi too! Hopefully it's served in such a way that you can pick the items that are cooked, like California rolls or shrimp tempura

I adore sushi- so good! Funny thing is I don't care for wasabi though and never use it.

If you don't know how to eat sushi (there is the right and wrong way) I suggest googling it so you don't make a bad impression in case you are going to be dining around some sushi snobs. There is some etiquette involved such as eating a piece in one or two bites, how to reach for the sushi if it's on a shared tray, etc.

ETA: Here ya go:

http://www.wikihow.com/Practice-Sushi-Etiquette

I think it's really fun to eat sushi

Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,272,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Yum sushi! For the record (and I didn't read this whole thread so forgive me), there is sushi made with cooked ingredients, like shrimp and crab and so on.

Just go- $50 for that kind of networking is nothing. It's probably really good sushi too! Hopefully it's served in such a way that you can pick the items that are cooked, like California rolls or shrimp tempura

I adore sushi- so good!
LOL - I agree, but you are wasting your time.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,781,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Yum sushi! For the record (and I didn't read this whole thread so forgive me), there is sushi made with cooked ingredients, like shrimp, smoked salmon, crab, and so on. Also some sushi is made with no meat and is delicious also!

I adore sushi- so good! Funny thing is I don't care for wasabi though and never use it.

If you don't know how to eat sushi (there is the right and wrong way) I suggest googling it so you don't make a bad impression in case you are going to be dining around some sushi snobs. There is some etiquette involved such as eating a piece in one or two bites, how to reach for the sushi if it's on a shared tray, etc.

ETA: Here ya go:

3 Ways to Practice Sushi Etiquette - wikiHow

I think it's really fun to eat sushi
Ohhh - nice resource, beera! Thank you for the link. I need to brush up on sushi etiquette.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,589,068 times
I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat any insight or advice.

1) I am skeptical of these "networking" events anyway - lead exchanges, too, for that matter.

2) That being said, will your company reimburse you for the expense? If so, then I'd probably go.

3) Just because people are INVITED doesn't mean they're going to actually attend. Before you commit to possibly wasting both time and money, try to find out who is actually ATTENDING. And while you're at it, find out if this is some sort of "lead generating" group or some other sort of "networking" group that charges membership dues.

I hate being set up for a sale, even for free. But it REALLY ticks me off to be set up and have to pay for it at the same time.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 PM

809 posts, read 1,280,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I apologize for my typos. I am at the hospital with a relative so I am posting from my phone.

I'm not really surprised you can't understand the OP if you can't understand a few hundred words with two typos. Really it says far more about you and your lack if reading comprehension than it does about me.

Btw you and the OP are clearly two peas in a pod. She is a "lawyer" who uses the word "heiffer" in most of her posts and you, a "reporter", think she is smart. Lol.
Are you that worked up that you need to post from a hospital on a tiny phone screen

Lucky relative you have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships