Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 PM

43,811 posts, read 44,579,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
Do you think with cell phones and texting that people have the expectation you'll always be available?

I have a cell phone, often when I'm at home I'll have it turned to silent. If there is a true emergency people that know me well can use my landline.

So someone called me on my cell phone to ask a favor that had a time sensitive nature to it. I actually didn't see the call until a couple hours had passed I wouldn't have done the favor anyway, but they were mad that I didn't call them back sooner. I personally find that expectation a little silly, but it seems like it is becoming more common, since cell phones provide greater access.
Yes, I know someone who expects everyone to be available for them 24/7 because of cellphones. I think it is a very unrealistic expectation as I think cellphones should be used like regular phones and there are limits to people's availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 09:36 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,175,578 times
As an employer, I had to threaten to fire employees (and did) who were on their cells at work. "But I have to be able to get calls & texts in case of an emergency!" The business has a phone. Anyone can call you here.

Amazingly enough, my calls to them were rarely answered because they assumed they were being called in on their day off. "Oh, I lost my phone." or some other BS. Really? The thing might as well be implanted, like silicone breasts.

Smart phones, I-phones, whatever. It's out of control. People having dinner "together" and all of them texting. My SIL does it when she's here. So rude.

To some, their phone has become the most important thing in their lives. No, rather, it IS their life. They spend so much time texting, when do they actually live? So very sad.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:52 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,793,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand your point of view, however simply be aware that if you are talking to someone in a different generation from you, then you would be viewed as incredibly rude if you didn't answer a text message for two days. Remember - people my age grew up where always being connected is normal.
I'm close to your age and do not share the same feelings.

I also have friends who do not respond quickly to everything, sometimes they don't respond period. Which is fine with me!

Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 PM

41 posts, read 14,942 times
Yes, True. A rise of the smartphone makes peoples lazy and addiction to that thing. Everyone expecting or rather assume that if you've smartphone user then you must be available for 24 hours.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:11 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,022,092 times
Nobody owns me. Not my husband, not my kid, not my family, friends, employer, etc.

I answer phone calls from family because we pretty much never call each other, so it's likely to be an emergency (or some fantastic news!). I rarely answer for anyone else.

And my phone is left in the kitchen overnight, my sleep is a priority. I'm generally on top of texts and messenger, but only when convenient for me. And I've learned to not send that final text -- it annoys the heck out of me when someone sends an unneeded last text. Ugh.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:46 AM

37,159 posts, read 42,310,361 times
Very few people have my cell phone number and those who do know that it lives in my purse, often on silent. I WILL use it several times during the day and see calls or text, but nobody is ever guaranteed to get a hold of me immediately. I've been doing a bit more driving lately too and even if I hear the phone I'm not going to look at it until I get where I'm going.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:04 PM

926 posts, read 756,446 times
I ran into this a bit when I worked as the church secretary, particularly when it came to putting things out on the "Prayer Request" e-mail list. Maintaining that was part of my job duties, and because the church office was open limited hours, people would contact me via my cell phone.

This in itself was fine, my problem was with the congregation members who did NOT seem to understand that I also had a part-time job at the library, and when I was working there, I couldn't always have my cell phone on me. (depended on what I was scheduled to do)

Old 09-26-2018, 02:20 PM

23,451 posts, read 19,098,213 times
I finally got a cellphone (yeah yeah, I know...don't bother commenting about that) because I had some travel going on, but I don't give out the number unless absolutely necessary. I also warn those people that I don't carry the phone routinely so not to expect an instant answer unless there is something pending. I have a couple of relatives who ARE serious addicts and keep trying to suck me in to being "available", but I just train them.....I don't answer it, respond unless it really is needed. They are forced to realize that if they really need to talk to me they'll have to call my home line and wait upon my convenience. So far it's working. You can control aspects of your life. You just have to do it.

One sibling who is an addict invariably spends more time trying to get a signal, get some app to work, deal with dropped calls, reach another party, get information, directions, etc. when we could have solved whatever problem just by doing the work in person or on our own two feet. This so-called convenience wastes more time than it saves IMHO.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:40 PM

6,749 posts, read 4,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Nobody owns me. Not my husband, not my kid, not my family, friends, employer, etc.

I answer phone calls from family because we pretty much never call each other, so it's likely to be an emergency (or some fantastic news!). I rarely answer for anyone else.

And my phone is left in the kitchen overnight, my sleep is a priority. I'm generally on top of texts and messenger, but only when convenient for me. And I've learned to not send that final text -- it annoys the heck out of me when someone sends an unneeded last text. Ugh.

My phone stays turned off, to save the battery. Charge it once a week if it needs it. I might check it once a day. I fell sorry for these people that their life is tied to their phones. I have seen people walk off the sidewalk right into the street not looking where they are going. What can be that important.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 PM

52 posts, read 45,253 times
My phone is also off unless i need to make a quick call. I am grandfathered into a 10¢ per minute service and spend about $20 a year on cellphone calls. Definitely not a phone junky. And it really irritates me when friends insist that i have to send text messages when they know i have some arthritis in both hands and am not going to peck out messages on tiny text. If they don't like it, too bad for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships