Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,955,576 times

Advertisements

The best was a supervisor who screamed at me when I returned to work because I did not answer their pleas to pick up another shift ON MY DAY OFF. I pretty much told her to stick it somewhere dark and damp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM

442 posts, read 615,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
The best was a supervisor who screamed at me when I returned to work because I did not answer their pleas to pick up another shift ON MY DAY OFF. I pretty much told her to stick it somewhere dark and damp
Yeah I've mostly worked in jobs where you can expect calls like that on your day off...that gets really old after awhile.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
I once lived very, very close to work.
Now I live 1/2 hour away, on purpose.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,333,729 times
yes chielgirl, I had the pleasure of living close to my job years ago. It was good because I wasn't in for a long commute but then they'd call me for everything under the sun and "could I run over there to fix this or that problem" all the time...

Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
yes chielgirl, I had the pleasure of living close to my job years ago. It was good because I wasn't in for a long commute but then they'd call me for everything under the sun and "could I run over there to fix this or that problem" all the time...
Always a joy to know you're indispensable, isn't it.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,333,729 times
yeah sure it is!
They appreciate those that are never available much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times
I always have mine with me, but I have never in my life even had a land line (why pay extra money for a land line?) To my generation (26 years old) it is generally considered rude to not reply to a call/text within a few hours, and an email within 24 hours. I have a smart phone, and typically respond to calls/texts/email within an hour or two. Also, if it is an emergency, please text/email me, do not call me. I am much more likely to email you a quick response (and realistically, who doesn't have 20 seconds to do that?) than call the person and spend a few minutes talking just to get the point across.

Different strokes for different folks. I am curious, what age group does everyone responding to this fall into?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,787,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I actually don't use a cell phone. I kind of enjoy being somewhat of an oddity...
I have a friend like that and while it does add to his quirkiness, it also means that if he's passing through town and wants to have lunch, he has to contact me several days ahead of time, usually online since I don't answer my phone at work, and we have to figure out a time and place to meet. And if he has a delay or gets lost, we have no means of communication.

On the other hand, if you mosey over to the Relationships board you can find thread after thread of people who are making or breaking relationships based on how quickly a person responds to a text or call. Seriously, people who are blowing off dates because so-and-so took six hours to respond to my friendly, casual text.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I always have mine with me, but I have never in my life even had a land line (why pay extra money for a land line?) To my generation (26 years old) it is generally considered rude to not reply to a call/text within a few hours, and an email within 24 hours. I have a smart phone, and typically respond to calls/texts/email within an hour or two. Also, if it is an emergency, please text/email me, do not call me. I am much more likely to email you a quick response (and realistically, who doesn't have 20 seconds to do that?) than call the person and spend a few minutes talking just to get the point across.

Different strokes for different folks. I am curious, what age group does everyone responding to this fall into?
I'm 40+.

I find the few hours window being considered rude unrealistic. It would really depend on the nature of the call.

If you are in certain situations, I guess I find it more rude to break out the cell phone to return a text/call than it is to not return them within that window.

If someone is going to a movie, a funeral, a wedding, or on a first date, unless the phone call is about a major earth shattering crisis...I think returning the phone call can be delayed. I guess what I am saying is that some people are more particular about interruptions to their time off, etc.

I'm the OP...the person calling was basically trying to make fixing her problem my problem.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I have a friend like that and while it does add to his quirkiness, it also means that if he's passing through town and wants to have lunch, he has to contact me several days ahead of time, usually online since I don't answer my phone at work, and we have to figure out a time and place to meet. And if he has a delay or gets lost, we have no means of communication.

On the other hand, if you mosey over to the Relationships board you can find thread after thread of people who are making or breaking relationships based on how quickly a person responds to a text or call. Seriously, people who are blowing off dates because so-and-so took six hours to respond to my friendly, casual text.
Your example of your friend definitely demonstrates why cell phones are useful.

As far as talking about the Relationships Board, yeah I don't get that mindset at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships