Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,447,253 times

Advertisements

I am routinely not available by cell...at work, and often driving around where there are no cell towers. I also...on purpose....just turn it off. No one needs me 24 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,987,316 times
I still don't use my cell phone very much. It's a TracFone and it's my fourth one. My first was as big as my house phone. I was traveling a lot to different theaters and coming home late at night so it made sense to have one. Nobody had the number. As time went by and cell phones became smaller, I got a new one. Still a TracFone and I had thousands of unused minutes. That one got wet when it fell in the...well, yes, it did. So I got another. I once called a family member who was thrilled to have my number - as if it was something special. When that phone began to give me trouble by not holding a charge, I got a new one. It has a camera - big whoop - and so many other features that I don't need and just confuse me. I do know how to text now, and sometimes use that feature but for the most part, it's just along for the ride.

I despair for those who have to be constantly in touch. Especially spouses. (spice?) What do you have to talk about when you are together? You've already said it all.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,183,707 times
I enjoy technology but I do find being available 24/7 to be a bother. People will call my cell and if I ignore it, then my home phone starts blowing up. This unnerves me because I think it might be an emergency and 99% of the time, its not. There are times I simply dont want to be bothered. People in general wear me out. I seem to be everyone's shrink and I simply get tired of hearing about their drama filled lives. I know that probably makes me sound cold but I need time to just not talk to people. It also doesnt help that I provide IT support and deal with the public all day.

Some of the issues I deal with are cell phones. I really had no idea just how stupid people were about their phones until I started my job. I have had adults sobbing on the phone with me because they lost their phone, broke it or did something to it that caused data loss. Im not sure which is worse the people that literally cry or the screamers. I have had people call me that run their businesses off their smart phones but it never occurs to them to back up their info. All it takes is either flipping a switch in settings to back up to a virtual cloud or plugging it into a computer for about 5 min. They scream at me wanting to know if I have their info on file. Really? Oh yes sir, then me go ahead and pull up all your contacts and photos. I'm magical like that.

So as they berate me on how I cant help them or even how stupid I am. What I want to say is....."so let me get this straight. You run your business off your cell. Your livelyhood rests on the extremely important info on your phone but it never occured to you to back up this extremely important info?.... and well...it also didnt occur to you that jumping in your pool with your phone in your pocket was a bad idea. Hmm...ya...I'm the stupid one here."

Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,447,253 times
If I had a BF who went crazy because I did not text him or call him all the time....if would be a very short relationship.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,233,622 times
We don't have a home phone and deiced against one after our last move; couldn't justify the expense when my spouse and I both have cells even if some connections are better via a LAN line, why have three phones?

That said, I ignore most calls that come in, listen to messages, and prioritize call backs from there. I have small children and lead a busy life and can't always answer the phone and concentrate on a conversation. That said, texting is great as it allows for someone (including me) to respond based on convenience and dramatically lessens the number of phone calls I make or receive.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,154,551 times
I have a cell phone. It is for my convenience - and my husband's piece of mind. I am severely hearing impaired and most of my friends know this and know to communicate with me via e-mail/IMs, etc. I read just fine. For the longest time, I called that "thing" a car phone. I hated it, still not fond of it, but I no longer hate it. It is not unusual to find my phone uncharged so my husband made it his job to find it at least once a week and give it a charge and then to remind me to take it when I leave the house.

I cannot use other people's phones; in fact, using the cellphone only works by me calling my husband, hoping he's answering, and I start talking. I say the same thing over and over and over and over until I notice the timer has stopped. If I am somewhere public, I might ask someone else to let me know when the phone is answered. I've had a few times with a breakdown where I needed roadside assistance and I had to call my husband to call AAA.

So, I accept that I need a cell phone but I am not going to have a conversation with you. I don't hear the thing ring and even if I did, I'm not on the end of your leash!

As for the housephone, I adopted one old-time Mainer's attitude: I pay the bill. It's for my convenience. I've softened on that stance a little, but not a whole lot.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:33 PM

737 posts, read 1,152,218 times
My cell is only turned on when I want to make a call. Only 2 people have the number. Won't text. Most people I know disable texting.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,338,629 times
It's a phone call (or email) - not a summons.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM

442 posts, read 616,857 times
I think I am really old fashioned when it comes to technology.

I had a job once where I was on call on some of my days off, and I had to wear a pager. I just couldn't stand that.

When my kids are in school, I make sure that I have my cell phone with me if there is an emergency at school...other than that I really don't care who else can reach me.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM

442 posts, read 616,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If I had a BF who went crazy because I did not text him or call him all the time....if would be a very short relationship.
It seems like there are a lot of couples like that. My DH and I have never been like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships