Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM

719 posts, read 1,554,824 times

Advertisements

Ronkon,
There are lots of places you can buy acreage for $1000/ac or less in NY. I have looked at many.
Not sure what you mean about WTC as it was not exempt from any building codes. That really doesn't even make sense.
Most rural areas in NY have much less intrusive bldg codes than in the city too, like any other rural areas I might add. What the heck did NY ever do to you? You seem very bitter about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,762,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post
Oh no!!!! My 15'x15' shed must be dangerous! It's over 100 square feet....and I did not have to apply for a permit or have some inspector gawk at it!!! (Well...it has withstood 80MPH winds...)

There are costs associated with living in an educated, relatively-safe society. Namely, taxes and regulations- to ensure the most education and the most safety for as many citizens as possible.

If you no longer want to be part of such a society, there are other places on this beautiful planet that will provide you with the autonomy you desire. It's just not here.

FYI- I'm pretty sure buildings aren't SUPPOSED to hold up to jumbo jets full of fuel crashing into them. No manner of non-regulated buildings would do better.

I'm pretty sure there are reasons behind the restriction of 10x10. Perhaps people would be too tempted to live in a space larger than that. Perhaps the weight of a 10x10 structure falling apart wouldn't kill someone but every inch higher compounds that likelihood. As I said, there are costs associated with living in such a society.

Last edited by Yac; 02-15-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 AM

719 posts, read 1,554,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Ronkon,
There are lots of places you can buy acreage for $1000/ac or less in NY. I have looked at many.
Not sure what you mean about WTC as it was not exempt from any building codes. That really doesn't even make sense.
Most rural areas in NY have much less intrusive bldg codes than in the city too, like any other rural areas I might add. What the heck did NY ever do to you? You seem very bitter about something.

21 1/2 acres in Cherry Creek (14723 - Chautauqua County) can currently be had for $19,900 with new (2007) 60x40 barn (with gas, electricity and water connected)
Search "ML#B375314"

Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 PM

439 posts, read 357,895 times
What a silly "question." I love living in New York State. It's one of the most beautiful and diverse (both culturally and geographically) in the nation. Yeah, the cost of living is high--usually the best places to live are. Vermont's the same way...Yet people seem to like it.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,220,840 times
Angry Wow - Is An Under Statement!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
49,000 out of nealy 20 million people. Wow, will anyone be left here?
Perhaps the comment 49,000 people left New York would of hit a little harder if another comment was added - 49,000 people left New York which was mostly comprised of the alleged middle class who were retired and or hard working families that have given up living here......

In the 2000 Census...when the economy was still good and thriving the local Long Island News Paper commented that 50% of the graduating college students did not return to Long Island to seek employment......instead they chose to relocate somewhere else......the 1990 Census had the same results......with less of a percentage......

They commented further that the graduates who failed to return would normally be members of society that would contribute and add to their community...So tell me...they acknowledge 49,000 people left...but they failed to mention how many of them were tax paying...contributing members of society...Perhaps the other 49,000 people or more that left were relaced by the free-loaders of society...SO...DO YOU THINK LOOSING 49,000 TAX PAYERS REALLY DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING...

Old 02-27-2011, 01:18 PM

38 posts, read 81,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Perhaps the comment 49,000 people left New York would of hit a little harder if another comment was added - 49,000 people left New York which was mostly comprised of the alleged middle class who were retired and or hard working families that have given up living here......

In the 2000 Census...when the economy was still good and thriving the local Long Island News Paper commented that 50% of the graduating college students did not return to Long Island to seek employment......instead they chose to relocate somewhere else......the 1990 Census had the same results......with less of a percentage......

They commented further that the graduates who failed to return would normally be members of society that would contribute and add to their community...So tell me...they acknowledge 49,000 people left...but they failed to mention how many of them were tax paying...contributing members of society...Perhaps the other 49,000 people or more that left were relaced by the free-loaders of society...SO...DO YOU THINK LOOSING 49,000 TAX PAYERS REALLY DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING...

Great thread.....and a bit depressing, also. I've been thinking this through for a few years. Living in the beautiful Hudson Valley, yet knowing that the population is aging rapidly,(as I am, also), causes me to search for places to relocate for my husband and myself. Austin, Phoenix, Charlotte, Tampa, and several other southwest and southern cities have caught my attention. But after exhaustive research on many sites, so far I've come up very disillusioned about relocating to any of these places.

It's very important for me to live in clean, fresh air, drink clean water and eat clean, organic foods. Right now, NY has some of the best resources for foods, and so far, the water and air quality is better than it's been in many decades.
As more people leave, the door becomes wide open for environmental destruction, such as hydrofracking, (which is currently on the table).

My only solution, as a thinking, intelligent, taxpayer, is to jump ship in the next couple of years. So I keep on searching for that "perfect place", free of crime, corruption and pollution. Is there a place like that?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust77 View Post
Great thread.....and a bit depressing, also. I've been thinking this through for a few years. Living in the beautiful Hudson Valley, yet knowing that the population is aging rapidly,(as I am, also), causes me to search for places to relocate for my husband and myself. Austin, Phoenix, Charlotte, Tampa, and several other southwest and southern cities have caught my attention. But after exhaustive research on many sites, so far I've come up very disillusioned about relocating to any of these places.

It's very important for me to live in clean, fresh air, drink clean water and eat clean, organic foods. Right now, NY has some of the best resources for foods, and so far, the water and air quality is better than it's been in many decades.
As more people leave, the door becomes wide open for environmental destruction, such as hydrofracking, (which is currently on the table).

My only solution, as a thinking, intelligent, taxpayer, is to jump ship in the next couple of years. So I keep on searching for that "perfect place", free of crime, corruption and pollution. Is there a place like that?
Nope.....Many times it's a matter of trading in different issues.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM

51 posts, read 109,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There are costs associated with living in an educated, relatively-safe society. Namely, taxes and regulations- to ensure the most education and the most safety for as many citizens as possible.

If you no longer want to be part of such a society, there are other places on this beautiful planet that will provide you with the autonomy you desire. It's just not here.

FYI- I'm pretty sure buildings aren't SUPPOSED to hold up to jumbo jets full of fuel crashing into them. No manner of non-regulated buildings would do better.

I'm pretty sure there are reasons behind the restriction of 10x10. Perhaps people would be too tempted to live in a space larger than that. Perhaps the weight of a 10x10 structure falling apart wouldn't kill someone but every inch higher compounds that likelihood. As I said, there are costs associated with living in such a society.
Lol! "Educated and relatively safe"? You're kidding me, right? The NYC metro area is one of the costliest and most restrictive places in THE WORLD in which to live, and also one where the quality of life is lowest and where one is exposed to more crime, corruption and abuse than anywhere.

The only thing high taxes and intrusive regulation guarantees is the loss of personal freedom, and servitude to the state.

So what if someone would be tempted to live in a structure if it is bigger than 10'x10'? I have a neighbor who lived in a little portable building not much larger than that, with no electricity or running water. It wasn't much...but it was hers, and provided her a home (In NY she would have been on the street; in a shelter or in tax-payer funded housing) and allowed her to save up some money...and she eventually built herself (with her own two hands) a real house. This option would never have been available to her in a place where those educated civilized people live.

Regardless if I want to live in my >10x10 structure or use it for agricultural purposes, it is MY duty to ensure it's safety to a level I am comfortable with- and not the state's. Funny....almost 10 years living here and I've never once heard of someone's house or other structure falling down and killing them (But I have heard of several back on LI- where they have all the stringent codes) and in fact, there are many crudely-built structures here that are 100 years old, and which have survived a century of the bad winds and severe/tornadic thunderstorms we get here.

Civilized? We can still leave our doors unlocked. In the 10 years I have lived here, there has not been one random crime in my area. My neighbor has no doors on his equipment shed....tools and equipment just sits there for the taking, as do his tractors, with the keys forever in their ignitions. Guess what? Nothing walks away! Can you do that in your educated civilized area with all the rules and regulations that rule over the innocent?

Sorry....communism doesn't work- and even if it did, I'd rather possess the individual freedom which we were supposed to be guaranteed in this country, and look out for my own safety, than to trade that freedom for some dubious promises of state-ensured safety and civility....which of course, they can not deliver.

And as for the WTC, a simple Google search will provide you with proof that it was not subject to NYC building codes ("WTC not subject to building codes")- While it is debatable whether adherence to such codes would have mitigated the disaster, one thing is for sure: If there are going to be codes, THOSE are specifically the kinds of buildings that SHOULD be subject to them, as opposed to private structures on private property. (And really- nothing is going to save a building from a controlled implosion. Yet when a bomber hit the Empire State building in the 40's....the effects were minimal)

Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,344,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post
Lol! "Educated and relatively safe"? You're kidding me, right? The NYC metro area is one of the costliest and most restrictive places in THE WORLD in which to live, and also one where the quality of life is lowest and where one is exposed to more crime, corruption and abuse than anywhere.

The only thing high taxes and intrusive regulation guarantees is the loss of personal freedom, and servitude to the state.
Yep....

RealClearPolitics - America's 10 Freest and Least Free States - Least Free - #1: New York

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ree-state.html

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
What is this completely based upon and while taxes are an issue, how are so many areas in the state at or below average in overall cost of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York