Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times

Advertisements

If you follow polls, everyone is always fleeing New York. I particularly love polls that survey some crazy number like 643 adults, then extrapolate that to tell you what all of America is thinking.

People want to leave New York? Assuming that's even true, I wonder where they think they're going that's such a paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you follow polls, everyone is always fleeing New York. I particularly love polls that survey some crazy number like 643 adults, then extrapolate that to tell you what all of America is thinking.

People want to leave New York? Assuming that's even true, I wonder where they think they're going that's such a paradise.
Basically, when other states are doing the same thing in terms of government. Some aspects are worse for many other states. So, I wonder about that too.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM

38 posts, read 81,979 times
Life is where you're living and living is the most important....simple and easy.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 PM

38 posts, read 81,979 times
I could move anywhere in the U.S. and after exhaustive searching for "better places to live" .........there truly is NO PLACE better than home. I am grateful for my mountain acres and my modest home, mortgage-free!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 PM

152 posts, read 156,024 times
The people who want to leave NYC the most are poeple under the age of 30.
1 out of every 3 young adults want to leave NYC, which is usually when they get smacked in the face by NYC's cost of living.
What gives people false hop here is about the all the new job opportunities in NC but most of the new jobs start out at 30K per year and theres no way you can live offf 30k per year when rent for a 1brm in queens/brooklyn is 1500.

New York May Bid Farewell to 36% of Young Residents | Home of the Marist Poll: Pebbles and Pundits

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
1 out of every 3 young adults want to leave NYC, which is usually when they get smacked in the face by NYC's cost of living.
What gives people false hop here is about the all the new job opportunities in NC but most of the new jobs start out at 30K per year and theres no way you can live offf 30k per year when rent for a 1brm in queens/brooklyn is 1500.

New York May Bid Farewell to 36% of Young Residents | Home of the Marist Poll: Pebbles and Pundits
What new job opportunities in NC, considering that unemployment rates are higher?

By the way, that is projected, not official.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
Quote:

941 adults over the age of 18 were polled by Marist. How many millions of adults are there in NYS?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM

152 posts, read 156,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
941 adults over the age of 18 were polled by Marist. How many millions of adults are there in NYS?

I'm 26 and I work in Manhattan so I have a pretty good grasp on the vibe of NYC people my age. There's nothing with that poll that I can disagree with.
I hear it from my friends all the time, who complain about having to live with their parents or crash with a roomate they hate just to survive in NYC.

Most jobs in NYC are paying entry level positions 30K. That's just not enough money to live on your own in NYC right now. Even if you make 50K, you will be living paycheck to paycheck if you live by yourself.

I'm lucky enough to be one of the young adults who doesn't have to pay back any college loans or slipped up and had a kid.
But god forbid you're a young adult under 30 and happen to have a kid in NYC. My friend who is a 24 yr single mother, she called to find how much daycare was in queens. She was shocked to find out it was $1500 a month. That's basically as much as rent.
I make 60K a year, I only bring home $1500 every 2 weeks. So if I'm a single mother in NYC, and I make 60K, and I have to pay rent and daycare. That's both my paychecks in the month. I'll basically be in the red at the end of the month when you put in food and travel costs....
It is tough to live in NYC right now, without running up bad credit or living with your parents.

Last edited by AMgoody; 08-14-2011 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
Quote:
I'm 26 and I work in Manhattan so I have a pretty good grasp on the vibe of NYC people my age. There's nothing with that poll that I can disagree with.
I hear it from my friends all the time, who complain about having to live with their parents or crash with a roomate they hate just to survive in NYC.

Most jobs in NYC are paying entry level positions 30K. That's just not enough money to live on your own in NYC right now. Even if you make 50K, you will be living paycheck to paycheck if you live by yourself.

I'm lucky enough to be one of the young adults who doesn't have to pay back any college loans or slipped up and had a kid.
But god forbid you're a young adult under 30 and happen to have a kid in NYC. My friend who is a 24 yr single mother, she called to find how much daycare was in queens. She was shocked to find out it was $1500 a month. That's basically as much as rent.
I make 60K a year, I only bring home $1500 every 2 weeks. So if I'm a single mother in NYC, and I make 60K, and I have to pay rent and daycare. That's both my paychecks in the month. I'll basically be in the red at the end of the month when you put in food and travel costs....
It is tough to live in NYC right now, without running up bad credit or living with your parents.
That's all well and good, however the poll is for NYS, not just NYC. It's very unlikely that you have the vibe for all young adults in NYS.
There were almost 19.5 million people in NYS in 2010. 941 is a fraction of a fraction of a percentage of that population.

I agree with you that it is not easy for many young people, though, to live in NYC.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,868,204 times
The Satilite Cities along the Railway towns feeding into NYC are seeing a growing population of Ex-New Yorkers leaving the city... So there leaving the city for cheaper cities nearby..... Do we really want a southern population growth rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York