Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 PM

94,613 posts, read 125,738,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And in comparing you need to try and compare apples to apples. Trying to compare Norfolk or Raleigh or Charlotte to Johnson City, Oneida or Albany is not the same. Look at that table I posted, Syracuse for example charges $25 per 1000 for what? Other states may have a local/regional sales tax but so does NY.
I am comparing apples to apples and I'm talking about the major metros in Upstate NY. If you look, you would see that the overall difference is very sight, if there is a difference at all. COL is more than taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Again, the other states mentioned that are less free either have a high overall population in relation to other states or are very dense/the population is largely based in a highly dense and populated area.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,409,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, the other states mentioned that are less free either have a high overall population in relation to other states or are very dense/the population is largely based in a highly dense and populated area.
Not necessarily. Places like FL and TX also have densely-populated areas and are more free than places like NY, NJ or CA.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Not necessarily. Places like FL and TX also have densely-populated areas and are more free than places like NY, NJ or CA.
TX is the exception and actually, it is so big landwise that it kind of offsets the high population, as it just recently passed NY in population. To put that into perspective, NY is 30th in land size but is a top 3 state in population. TX is 2nd in land size and just within the last 5-10 years became second in population. Taxes are actually higher in TX than some would think, in some aspects(i.e.-property taxes).

FL is still a middle of the road state in that respect and with some recent circumstances there, things might burden residents there a little bit more.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,418,866 times
Quote:
That's for sure! Did you know that in Florida there are hundreds of sex offenders living in open-air camps in the woods? Sleeping in tents; no water; no electricity. Now that's FREEDOM!!!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's for sure! Did you know that in Florida there are hundreds of sex offenders living in open-air camps in the woods? Sleeping in tents; no water; no electricity. Now that's FREEDOM!!!!!
You'd rather have them live in rent-controlled apts in NYC subsidized by the state? Or perhaps in NYS correctional facilities staffed by officers that pull in $80-90 K/yr in salary and benefits?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,418,866 times
Quote:
You'd rather have them live in rent-controlled apts in NYC subsidized by the state? Or perhaps in NYS correctional facilities staffed by officers that pull in $80-90 K/yr in salary and benefits?
LOL@chopchop!

Who says I want to bring Florida's sex offenders HERE?

I am just saying they wouldn't be allowed "rough it" like that in NY and live rent free with no pressing need to have full employment ... idle hands do the devil's work and they've already proven they have a penchant for the worst devil's work out there ... sex offenses and child molestation. They'd have to get a PROPER place to live or they would have to leave NY. In that respect, being "less free" is good for NY.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
They'd have to get a PROPER place to live or they would have to leave NY. In that respect, being "less free" is good for NY.
so you're trying to tell me that NY makes sure that every last sex offender in the state isn't homeless before they allow them to remain in NY? I doubt that

Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,559,697 times
Quote:
so you're trying to tell me that NY makes sure that every last sex offender in the state isn't homeless before they allow them to remain in NY? I doubt that
They need to have a place to live before they let them out of jail .... they also need to keep a place to live or their parole will be revoked. In Florida living under a bridge in a tent city is an acceptable option with the parole officers ... in NY it is not.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
LOL@chopchop!

Who says I want to bring Florida's sex offenders HERE?

I am just saying they wouldn't be allowed "rough it" like that in NY and live rent free with no pressing need to have full employment ... idle hands do the devil's work and they've already proven they have a penchant for the worst devil's work out there ... sex offenses and child molestation. They'd have to get a PROPER place to live or they would have to leave NY. In that respect, being "less free" is good for NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
They need to have a place to live before they let them out of jail .... they also need to keep a place to live or their parole will be revoked. In Florida living under a bridge in a tent city is an acceptable option with the parole officers ... in NY it is not.
Someone should tell that to USA Today.... Looks like even big-nanny states like California have problems with homeless transient sex offenders.

So trash FL if you like, but don't pretend that problem only exists in FL.

Many sex offenders are often homeless - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Thousands of convicted sex offenders are reporting to police that they are homeless, raising concerns that their lack of a permanent address could make them difficult to track, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

Sex offenders, who are required to register with police and often barred by law from living near places where children gather, list addresses such as a tent, "near a bike path," "behind a cemetery" or "woods behind Wal-Mart."
Quote:
In Boston, nearly two-thirds of 136 high-risk sex offenders lack permanent addresses. In New York City, more than 100 registered at two homeless shelters. In Miami last month, 22 reported living under the Julia Tuttle Causeway that links the city to Miami Beach.

Quote:
Two-thirds of the states allow convicted sex offenders, including violent predators, to register as homeless or list a shelter or inexact location as long as they stay in touch with police.
•At least a dozen states list hundreds of sex offenders without specific addresses. California registered 2,716 as "transient." Washington state listed 564 as homeless, but the number is probably much higher, says Carolyn Sanchez of the Washington State Patrol.
Quote:
•Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maine and other states say the number of homeless sex offenders is rising. Landlords often won't rent to them, and laws in dozens of states and hundreds of cities bar them from living near areas where kids play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York